Articles

Pics/Video

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WAKE WORLD HOME
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-01-2011, 10:28 AM Reply   
So we have tried a few times with the Go Pro on a wakeboard with mixed results. Is there a place people have found to work best for mounting them on a board. I'm not sure if a few inches makes a difference but it seemed a lot of the time the cameras just saw water spray.
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       04-01-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have not tried mounting to the board. I too have been thinking of the best way to use the GoPro and Contour for filming wakeboarding. I only have had one run since I got my GoPro and I used a Chesty Mount. It did not hinder my riding too much, but it didn't give me any decent footage either.

I have seen a video of someone riding a cable with a board on his back with straps to wear it like a backpack. Then there was a piece of metal that extended a 2 to 3 feet up and to the right. He mounted the camera on the top of the metal piece looking back down at the rider.

I think to get the best shots you would need to get the camera somehow 2-4 feet away from the rider and point it back at them. I don't think that backpack rig could handle a full set behind a boat.

I was thinking if there was a way to mount the camera at the base of the handle rope that would generate a good shot.
Attached Images

Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-02-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
I highly reccomend attaching a teather string to something like your bindings incase the mount breaks. The black piece that slides into the mount broke on me at odub after coming off a kicker. Luckly it didnt break open the housing and i had a zip tie holding it to my binding..
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-02-2011, 8:05 AM Reply   
If you get the GoPro Surf edition, it comes with a different mounting system which includes a separate mount and teather. The teather works awesome. I snapped my mount surfing and the teather saved my GoPro. I went back to GoPro and they sent me some free hardware to fix it.
Attached Images

Old     (jason95gt)      Join Date: May 2006       04-02-2011, 9:34 AM Reply   
Maybe tie it around your front or back boot. That might give a pretty cool view.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-02-2011, 7:00 PM Reply   
The plastic mount WILL break. Jus got back from riding and my buddy had his break after only a few minutes of riding. Granted he rides at a pro level and goes huge but none the less the mounts they provide are not suitable for being attached to a wakeboard. The Surf mount may hold up better. Will be testing that out next time. Either way I would not trust anything without a tether
Old     (wakerpunk)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-03-2011, 7:26 AM Reply   
Just be aware that depending on how the mount breaks, it has the potential of cracking the housing therefore killing you're gopro. Think of how much beating its taking on landings... Never had a problem using it on helmet cam during falls or using it on the end of a pole.
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-03-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
A friend of mine cut the plastic mounting rings off the bottom of his so the case was flat and bent a piece of aluminum to attach it to his board because he kept breaking mounts. He just drilled two holes through the bottom of the aluminum to mount it to the fin holes and used adhesive tape to attach the other end to the case.
Old     (ICU81240)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-10-2013, 5:57 PM Reply   
I haven't tried it yet but how about using the head lamp strap take off the strap that goes on top of your head(the one that keeps the mount from sliding down. It does come off) then put it around your leg. I've seen it done with a snowboard.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       04-10-2013, 7:50 PM Reply   
Used the suction cup to attach to board. Came down heavy on a landing and the housing, NOT the suction cup mount broke. Camera went about 15 feet in the air and that was the end of that... Had the mount tethered to boot using wire.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-10-2013, 7:52 PM Reply   
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lWZlm6v3o
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-10-2013, 7:58 PM Reply   
also.. use the big kahuna leashes.. they attach to the housing AND the mount so your camera hopefully won't fly too far.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-10-2013, 9:24 PM Reply   
Has anyone actually ever seen the housing itself break and let water in???
Old     (jamesruberti)      Join Date: Nov 2012       04-11-2013, 10:16 AM Reply   
Buy the backdoor floaty and you don't need a tether. I have it and it works great
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-11-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
I don't think you'd get great video from the board itself but if you are set on mounting it there this is the only way I'd try it: http://camrig.com/gopro-fin-mount
Old     (annq42)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-11-2013, 2:27 PM Reply   
Careful about putting mounts on the wakeboard and hoping that the floaty back will float it. It will not... I found this out the hard way, and there is currently a Hero2 at the bottom of the lake.

I am not sure how much the float will float, but it will not float the suction cup. I suggest testing the float with your connections before you go.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-11-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
I use the GoPro suction Cup to secure mine, then I usually tie it with a shoelace to my bindings. This angle worked out alright. You're right though, it's definitely hit and miss.

http://vimeo.com/27834399 (Around 1:15)
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-11-2013, 11:23 PM Reply   
Try mounting your Gopro with a Wakeye system
http://www.wakeye.com/pages/wakeboard-towers
Old     (Houstonshark)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-12-2013, 6:03 AM Reply   
^^^I like it! How much is $280NZD in real money?
Old     (Jibbo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-12-2013, 4:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonshark View Post
^^^I like it! How much is $280NZD in real money?
There is a currency option at the bottom of each web page i think where you can choose USD
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       04-12-2013, 6:08 AM Reply   
That wakeeye thing.. I couldn't find any footage showing how well it works for wakeboarding, only slalom. It does seem to track smoothly, though.