Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (mallenger)      Join Date: Jun 2006       02-28-2011, 9:27 AM Reply   
So I need a sub in my boat for the summer and i'm on a tight budget. I'd like to put it under the steering wheel of my 21v in the kick board. I'd also like to amp it for not much $$. I do have a couple hundred dollars of best buy gift cards that I can apply to this simple setup (bestbuy website stuff will be best). Anyone with recommendations? Thanks
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
Even if you did use a true infinite baffle subwoofer in the kick board, the kick board is thin HDPE and not nearly rigid enough to support a woofer (not from a structural but from an acoustic standpoint). A compliant baffle panel will waste alot of bass energy and is one of the primary reasons for bad infinite baffle execution and reputation. The other major problem is that the kick board is wide open over the top so you will not have front to rear acoustic isolation. This results in compromised bass extension and compromised power handling, not to mention terrible sound quality.
My recommendation would be to do it right or not at all. You really don't want to be stuck with a useless hole in the kick board after you discover that its a total disappointment.
I'm not discriminating against cheap or entry level. I love inexpensive. But once you cross the threshold into wasting your money then I have issue with it.
Here is what to do if you insist on doing it "bass on a budget". Get an inexpensive small box 10-inch woofer from Polk, Alpine, Kicker, etc, as long as its a credible name brand. Get a small sealed automotive box. Make certain that it has more than a press-in terminal cup. Screw type only! Elevate the box up off the sole by a 1/2-inch or more with polymer mounting pads. If its not a marinized box, the MDF construction and hot-glued seams won't last in a boat but it might get you through one season until you can get a real enclosure. Note that carpet will cover the failed seams long after the damage occurs. But change it out before you ruin the woofer as the suspension will prematurely fatique in a faulty enclosure. Again, one season only and you will be on borrowed time at that. Direct the sub at the exterior starboard hull surface so that you benefit from a lttle boundary loading affect. This will get you a small gain.
Like the sub, get a good name brand amplifier. Don't get sucked into the outrageous power claims. If it says 1000 watts for $200, it just isn't so. Go quality over spectacular specs. The sub is only as good as the supply. So, be sure to get a good gauge of primary wire and thicker gauge terminations.
That's the short list. If the unexpected costs are mounting and you feel compelled to make compromises to just get it done now...don't do it. Put it off.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-13-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
if i were on a budget i think i would look for an L5 on craigslist. they dont require as much power as the L7s. bang for the buck is hard to beat. i had a large ported box for cvr in my 88, it pounded
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-13-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Here ya go: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...link&cp=1&lp=1

under $200
includes integrated amp
enclosure is plastic so you don't need to worry about it as much like you would mdf.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-13-2011, 2:40 PM Reply   
The Infinity is a pretty good starter sub and certainly makes for an uncomplicated install for a novice. It gets my vote for this situation.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-13-2011, 6:50 PM Reply   
I found an old Alpine Type R at a swap meet. A decent quality sub, but it was just an older model that had been unused. Keep your eyes open on craigslist and I bet you can find something.
Old     (hogger)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-14-2011, 12:03 AM Reply   
I just finished a .84 cu. ft. box for my Polk DXi104 that will mount up under my dash. Tested it in the car, and WOW. It performs as well, if not better, than the 2 10" Bazooka subs I have in there.
Got mine at Best Buy for $99. I found a 2 for 1 deal, but I don't think I'm going to use the second one since the single sub sounded so good. Might consider selling it. It's a marine rated sub too.