Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (blindgoose)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-04-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
My girlfriend is a wakeskater and she has tried both boards on separate days and loved them both.

What is the advantage of the bi-level composite deck over a concave wood deck?

She has no idea what board to purchase because they were both great. If we could get some feedback on these boards, it would really help her out.
Old     (blindgoose)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-05-2010, 2:54 PM Reply   
I contacted Aaron Reed directly and this was his reply.

The SST is more of an advanced board with a lot more weight for a more wake to wake focused style of riding. I would probably recommend the impulse for her, although the wood boards don't last as long (the price is much lower). The SST is compression molded so it's life span will be much longer.

Hope it all works out for you,

Aaron
Old     (epicTWR)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-06-2010, 10:36 AM Reply   
my girlfriend just started wakeskate also, i got her on Danny's 40.5 sst, and she loves it. she was not a fan of the wood decks. the composite sst is going to last you much long, and dont waste your money on something that is going to fall apart within the first 10 rides. if you are thinking about wood decks, check out Remote wakeskates.
Old     (blindgoose)      Join Date: Aug 2010       08-06-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
I know all about the durability of wood decks. I purchased a 2010 Impulse 40.5 last night.

We are gonna re-seal the deck properly when we receive it and fill those extra holes that are pre-drilled for rail fins with clear silicone.

The finish on these boards from the factory is terrible. That's why they don't last long.
Old    LiquidForceWake            08-11-2010, 11:17 AM Reply   
the sst is composite molded and bi level which gives it a little extra snap and the impulse is the same concave, but a wood board. If you are looking for the longer warranty, I would go with composite. Most of the wood boards are only warrantied for 90 days, but are preferred by many of the more aggressive riders.
Old     (wakelab)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-22-2011, 10:24 PM Reply   
There is a 2010 SST 42 on Ebay for $169
Old     (SLWK)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-24-2011, 3:47 PM Reply   
i ride the 40.5 sst and love it. the concave feels good on my feet, and I don't have to put my front foot way out to get a good grip of the board. i wish the top deck had more flex though..