Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-25-2010, 5:49 PM Reply   
The first year I had the boat I had zero problems out of it but from the second year on the boat would sometimes have trouble starting on the first try. I would turn the key and the engine would click one time and then nothing. Thinking it was the neutral safety switch, I would mess with the throttle lever and eventually it would crank. The boat has been doing this for the past 4 years but would always eventually start. Well today I pulled the boat out from the garage to "Summerize" it in hopes of being able to use it this weekend. Well when I went to crank it, it did the same thing except now I can not get it to start at all. I messed with the throttle and still nothing. I tried adjusting the throttle linkage on the transmission and still nothing. One thing I did notice was that the starter became very warm. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, would really love to get on to the water this weekend. Oh, the engine is a Mercruiser 350 Mag.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-25-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
I sure sparky will chime in but if the starter is getting warm the first place I would look is the starting Solenoid
Old     (vette74)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-25-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
It is your starter. In my old supra I would 1-2 starters a year in it. Moisture in your engine compartment is hell on them.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-25-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
If the starter became hot it is getting power through the windings. That would normally mean you need a rebuild or replacement if it's not turning over. For the starter to get warm the solenoid has to be engaging to connect the circuit. It could be that you don't have the battery cranking amps to turn it. Basically the battery can just get old and not as capable.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-25-2010, 7:16 PM Reply   
If you're getting a click then power is making it all the way to the starter so that eliminates any neutral safety or throttle switch. You've either got a bad connection/cable, not enough battery power or a bad starter/solenoid.
Old     (cal565)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-26-2010, 3:19 AM Reply   
I just replaced the battery last year with an Optima blue top,so I didn't think this was the problem. I did try using jumper cables just to make sure but it still wouldn't crank. The radio and all the gauges work once I turn the key to crank but I have noticed the Volt gauge does not move off of 8 Volts. If it is the starter, would I be able to purchase a new one at a local auto parts store or does it have to be marine specific? Thanks again for the help.