I just moved onto a lake, so I am lucky enough to be able to go out every day. Last year I bought a 18' runnabout. Now that i see all the skiboats running around, I think i want one. I don’t want to buy new, I want to make sure a skiboat is the right thing for me.
Anyway, here are the questions.
1. I found a 1999 Sportstar here on the lake for sale. About 300 hours, GREAT shape, comes with tower and board racks, etc. Really nice boat with a MC trailer. The only problem is that when we went out to test it we found that one of the drain petcocks didn’t work (the one that the hot water shower is connected to) and the blocked cracked this winter. The boat is now back at a great dealer, who is installing a brand new block. The good part is that the motor will be under warranty again for a year. He is willing to let it go for $15,500.00 because he would like to see it stay local. Is that a good deal?
2. I also found a 2002 Tige 20i, 100 hours, tower, nice boat. Unfortunately it did have some hull damage, but was repaired. The dealer that has it wants $26,000.00. Could the Tige possibly be worth that much more??? It is newer.
3. Which one would you guys suggest is best for a newbie?
4. Also, would you consider just keeping the 18’ Chaparral bowrider and putting a tower on it. I don’t know about that one…its only a 4.7l, and just doesn’t seem to want to pull a 250lb skier up.
5. The Sportstar does not have a heater. Can you add one aftermarket easily?
6. Lastly, any advice on websites that sell skiboat gear and accessories?
Thanks in advance everyone, really appreciate it. I need to make a decision this weekend….I just don’t know what to do. I was leaning towards just keeping my bowrider, but then knowing the MC will have a new motor makes it sound even better.