WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Buying a Waverunner ?? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801681)

mc_x15 04-09-2014 11:54 AM

Buying a Waverunner ??
Im in the market for a wave runner and I live in Northern NJ and found one in NY (long island). I've tried to call the DMV about this but got know where fast. My question is, when buying a used PWC from a private party how are you legally suppose to trailer it home? I have to trailer it about 200 miles and I wont have a plate and am not 100% sure I will be buying it. I have to go look at it and will decide then. I feel this must be a common thing but am having trouble finding any info at all on it. Any help would be great. I found something about a temp registration but you need to provide bill of sale which I wont have. :banghead:


bftskir 04-09-2014 12:03 PM

Uh...if you but it you will have a dated bill of sale to show any cop who happens to be bored enough to fiddle with you over it.

markj 04-10-2014 12:37 AM


dezul 04-10-2014 2:12 AM

Most states give you 30 days from the time of purchase to get everything registered. The Bill of Sale will be your binding document. One thing I have learned in the past is to ensure you get the Bill of Sale notorized. It makes things go a lot smoother. Good luck.

mc_x15 04-10-2014 5:16 AM

Appreciate the help. Ill probably go the notarized bill of sale route and just go for it.

davedidonato90 04-10-2014 6:51 AM


Originally Posted by mc_x15 (Post 1872223)
Appreciate the help. Ill probably go the notarized bill of sale route and just go for it.


I think i know a guy

phathom 04-10-2014 10:39 AM

1: Buying a wave runner? Really? Let me guess, you're going to pull a tube from it and jump wakes feet away from the swim platform? lol just giving you crap. They're fun. Kenny Powers enjoys them!
2: I'm guessing you're referring to the trailer being registered right? I mean you can throw a waverunner or dirt bike or whatever in the back of your truck and not worry about getting pulled over for not having their tabs updated since they are in another vehicle that is registered.
That being said the bill of sale will probably work, especially if it's within hours or even the same day/weekend as buying it. Otherwise to be safe, go to the DMV and get a temp trip permit. These are normally pretty cheap and let you have it on the road legally until you can get it registered.
3: That notarized video was hilarious. What is that from? It was so random.

bftskir 04-10-2014 6:36 PM

you don't need to get the bill of sale notarized.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:49 AM.