WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Mastercraft X46 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798887)

dbdb 07-01-2013 12:06 PM

Mastercraft X46
 
I surprised nobody here has mentioned this. I don't think I like the back seat. Outside of it being extremely over priced (which is a given for almost any new boat these days), what do you guys think?

http://www.mastercraft.com/boat/detail/x46

tn_rider 07-01-2013 12:10 PM

It's in the 2014 product rumors thread. But this will be a good discussion about the boat. I agree that the back seats are bad.

07-01-2013 12:14 PM

The styling isn't my taste, but then again that's my taste (too plain).

RIDE_LAB 07-01-2013 12:15 PM

just when i thought Mastercrafts could not get any uglier!

runin90lx 07-01-2013 12:18 PM

Saw a video on FB earlier. Made a nice surf wave..but still going to be a way overpriced MC

wakereviews 07-01-2013 12:40 PM

I like the new styling direction the MC's are taking. There is an X10 on my lake and the boat looks great. Obviously to each their own but i like this boat.

boardman74 07-01-2013 1:32 PM

Don't like the rear seat at all. Looks like the I/O "doghouse" floor plan. Rear must eat up the rear locker space. Didn't see the price, what is it? Let me sit down as I might pass out!!!

wakedaveup 07-01-2013 1:37 PM

I like the lines of the boat, nothing really bad to say at all either, but honestly doesn't stand out much different than the X45. Other than the new name a slightly different rear seating arrangement, it looks almost the same but just MHO

polarbill 07-01-2013 2:10 PM

It looks like the X45, new xstar and X14V made a baby. I like the overall look of the boat although I think the bow looks a little long as compared to the cockpit. I wonder what the ratio of bow to cockpit space is on this compared the the X45(not including the weird I/O cutouts). Speaking of the weird seating in the rear, I think it looks horrible, is near useless and takes up a bunch of storage.

I bet that thing is between $125,000 and 150,000 here in the Seattle area.

Khyber 07-01-2013 2:14 PM

Ballast amount seems low for a 24 foot boat

Khyber 07-01-2013 2:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyber (Post 1831108)
Ballast amount seems low for a 24 foot boat

My bad - didn't realize ballast was 1600 pounds. Is this boat being marketed more towards surfing than boarding?

behindtheboat 07-01-2013 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khyber (Post 1831111)
My bad - didn't realize ballast was 1600 pounds. Is this boat being marketed more towards surfing than boarding?

http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...-x46-released/

Yes, a "surfing machine", yet still rivals the X star wakeboarding wake...... Complete with terrible grammar and all!

At this point I wish surfing would be on the chopping block to be made illegal.

you_da_man 07-01-2013 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behindtheboat (Post 1831114)
http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...-x46-released/

Yes, a "surfing machine", yet still rivals the X star wakeboarding wake...... Complete with terrible grammar and all!

At this point I wish surfing would be on the chopping block to be made illegal.

But tubing is cool?

cjh1669 07-01-2013 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behindtheboat (Post 1831114)
http://wakeboardingmag.com/videos/20...-x46-released/

Yes, a "surfing machine", yet still rivals the X star wakeboarding wake...... Complete with terrible grammar and all!

At this point I wish surfing would be on the chopping block to be made illegal.

Hate to tell you, but surfing is growing to the point where I see more people surfing than wakeboarding on our lake now. It's here to stay and the boats are showing that they are building to fill this demand

behindtheboat 07-01-2013 3:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by you_da_man (Post 1831117)
But tubing is cool?

Not sure where that is coming from... Is there a boat that markets it's tubing wake, or is specifically for tubing?

behindtheboat 07-01-2013 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjh1669 (Post 1831118)
Hate to tell you, but surfing is growing to the point where I see more people surfing than wakeboarding on our lake now. It's here to stay and the boats are showing that they are building to fill this demand

I know, that's why the only way to battle the disease is to prohibit it and it's expansion. It's like stand up paddle boarding, it still isn't surfing, and anyone can do it.

cjh1669 07-01-2013 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behindtheboat (Post 1831120)
I know, that's why the only way to battle the disease is to prohibit it and it's expansion. It's like stand up paddle boarding, it still isn't surfing, and anyone can do it.

Lol, I'm sure slalom skiers wish wakeboarding was made illegal in the 90s.... Anyone can do any of these sports, including ocean surfing. It takes skills to excel at all of them. This story is played out over and over again. Change is inevitable, go with it or move out of the way

behindtheboat 07-01-2013 3:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjh1669 (Post 1831123)
Lol, I'm sure slalom skiers wish wakeboarding was made illegal in the 90s.... Anyone can do any of these sports, including ocean surfing. It takes skills to excel at all of them. This story is played out over and over again. Change is inevitable, go with it or move out of the way

So when papa deuce or drunken teenager dude come plowing nose up through my line of glass so they can slaysh, I should just move out of the way? I mean, they are much better people than I, for they can afford this new technology of wake surfing enhancement, or surfing machine so to speak.

cjh1669 07-01-2013 3:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by behindtheboat (Post 1831125)
So when papa deuce or drunken teenager dude come plowing nose up through my line of glass so they can slaysh, I should just move out of the way? I mean, they are much better people than I, for they can afford this new technology of wake surfing enhancement, or surfing machine so to speak.

You don't see the irony in that statement? Fisherman hated the skiers who are disturbing their water, skiers hated the wakeboarders and their big wakes messing up their glass, and now you're just following in line of the useless complaining that has gone on since the beginning of people enjoying the lake. Sooner or later, odds are, you'll find yourself enjoying the low impact, need for less than perfect water activity that is surfing. Flow with the change, you don't have to give up wakeboarding, and you can quit getting so frustrated about something you can't change.

cwb4me 07-01-2013 3:36 PM

Surfer dudes usually sleep in later than wake boarders.LOL

cjh1669 07-01-2013 3:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwb4me (Post 1831127)
Surfer dudes usually sleep in later than wake boarders.LOL

Isn't that the truth lol

MCObray 07-01-2013 4:31 PM

The interior looks small for a 24 ft. boat, as well as being quite heavy (5350#). I do like the lines on the boat though.
http://vimeo.com/69026840

polarbill 07-01-2013 5:47 PM

After watching the video with Zane I really like almost the entire boat except the weird seating layout and the tower. That and of course the crazy price tag I am sure. I like the overall lines, the initial design of the hull, the large bow(I actually like the ratio of seating in the bow to cockpit more than the boats like the 247 that have a overly huge cockpit and tiny bow).

cboom12 07-01-2013 6:01 PM

Love the look of the boat, hate the rear seat layout. To me its extra frustrating to watch these guys not be able to learn from others mistakes, ie nautique 220 and 07 210 with the hump in the rear seat. Why does MC think they can make it work?

the_right_kind 07-01-2013 6:17 PM

Where's the trash can and built-in ice chest?

Honestly though, I like it, even the seating.
We never fill up our storage locker unless we have the extra bags full.

boardman74 07-01-2013 7:25 PM

Whats the price tag?

501s 07-01-2013 10:57 PM

I like it. Good combo of many of the features found on other MC's.

timmyb 07-02-2013 7:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwb4me (Post 1831127)
Surfer dudes usually sleep in later than wake boarders.LOL

Cuz they're being nice and letting the wakeboarders have the glass! ;)

polarbill 07-02-2013 7:43 AM

I don't get their thoughts on the weird seating layout. In the video Zane says they wanted to get boat passengers to be able to interact with the surfers better but with the design the person sitting in the back corner has to be facing forward or twisted around weird in an uncomfortable position to interact with the rider. It seems like a good idea with poor execution. Kind of sounds like an engineer's idea that looks ok on paper but in real world use it doesn't work as good. I guess you could say the boat might fit another couple of people but who really needs more room on a 24.5' open bow boat?

I have no idea how much space their is above the engine but with boats these days getting bigger/deeper I wonder if a better alternative is to have the traditional 'U' shaped wrap around and have the sundeck sit a foot or so below the outer deck? Then you would have an entire(one level) back deck that goes all the way to the transom and the width of the boat but would have a foot tall wrap around so you are kind of in the boat? I am not sure if I communicated that idea that well but if you look at an MB for example there is at least a foot between the sunpad and the top of the engine. If they kept the deck exactly as is but dropped that sunpad a foot would that give them an area that could be lounged on but also sat on while surfing? I am not sure if that would be considered in the boat for legal purposes but if it could be that would be awesome. They could also incorporate some angled pads around the outside so you have a headrest kind of like you were in a lounger.

FastR3DN3K 07-02-2013 8:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1831270)
I don't get their thoughts on the weird seating layout. In the video Zane says they wanted to get boat passengers to be able to interact with the surfers better but with the design the person sitting in the back corner has to be facing forward or twisted around weird in an uncomfortable position to interact with the rider. It seems like a good idea with poor execution. Kind of sounds like an engineer's idea that looks ok on paper but in real world use it doesn't work as good. I guess you could say the boat might fit another couple of people but who really needs more room on a 24.5' open bow boat?

I have no idea how much space their is above the engine but with boats these days getting bigger/deeper I wonder if a better alternative is to have the traditional 'U' shaped wrap around and have the sundeck sit a foot or so below the outer deck? Then you would have an entire(one level) back deck that goes all the way to the transom and the width of the boat but would have a foot tall wrap around so you are kind of in the boat? I am not sure if I communicated that idea that well but if you look at an MB for example there is at least a foot between the sunpad and the top of the engine. If they kept the deck exactly as is but dropped that sunpad a foot would that give them an area that could be lounged on but also sat on while surfing? I am not sure if that would be considered in the boat for legal purposes but if it could be that would be awesome. They could also incorporate some angled pads around the outside so you have a headrest kind of like you were in a lounger.

I see what you're saying. Basically with the height of the boat increasing there should be more room between the top of the motor and the motor cover itself. You're suggesting them lower the lids on the rear deck to create a sort of "playpen area the between the sides of the boat that is still safe to use while riding. Actually sounds like a good idea to me, but you know they would never do it because it would compromise some cubic footage (however unusable it may be) in the trunks, and that is one thing that boat builders like to hang their hat on is the "tons of storage" factor....

razzman 07-02-2013 9:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like they went backwards, not forwards. Think back, this is simply a new twist of early v-drives and jets. Dumb idea imo but hey i'm sure they'll sell 'em.

hco 07-02-2013 9:29 AM

Die hard wakeboarders don't buy X45's. X45 is for families, and with board racks and all the under-seat storage there is really no need for the traditional locker space found under 'rear' deck. Makes sense to be able to creat more seat space, and gives people 2 more spaces to actually recline/lounge. Am looking forward to seeing it in person. The new MC's with their 'hips' actually look great in the water, they were not as nice looking on a trailer/showroom.

zimme 07-02-2013 10:52 AM

Regarding the rear seating, this is what Jason at MC had to say about it on TT:

Good question about the seating in the back. Two reasons. One, with the popularity of surfing we discovered that people were often sitting on the sunpad to interact with the rider. We wanted to have a solution that allowed that interaction but legally. Second, we wanted to provide a lounge area in the back that was much like the bow in terms of its relaxing, lounge feel. Often when people go to the back of the boat to sit, they have to stretch out in other people's seats or place their feet on the floor. We wanted to provide a solution that gave even those in the rear of the boat an area to hang and relax. We did not have to look very far as we had already executed that design with the 214v so we opted to use that here. I have sat in that seat a few times and it is an amazing creature comfort to have... give me a beverage, that seat and I am beyond relaxed.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Jason

ixfe 07-02-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zimme (Post 1831318)
Regarding the rear seating, this is what Jason at MC had to say about it on TT:

Good question about the seating in the back. Two reasons. One, with the popularity of surfing we discovered that people were often sitting on the sunpad to interact with the rider. We wanted to have a solution that allowed that interaction but legally. Second, we wanted to provide a lounge area in the back that was much like the bow in terms of its relaxing, lounge feel. Often when people go to the back of the boat to sit, they have to stretch out in other people's seats or place their feet on the floor. We wanted to provide a solution that gave even those in the rear of the boat an area to hang and relax. We did not have to look very far as we had already executed that design with the 214v so we opted to use that here. I have sat in that seat a few times and it is an amazing creature comfort to have... give me a beverage, that seat and I am beyond relaxed.

Don't know if that helps or not.

Jason

It helps to see what MC was thinking. I don't think anybody here would suggest that MC doesn't think these things through. But in my opinion, they are OVER thinking it. Just like Nautique is OVER thinking it with all the rear facing seats. The problem with such "optimized" seating is that it comes with a difficult trade off... you lose storage, and lots of it.

It's actually and interesting business question, actually... do you think that sort of unconventional seating will gain more boat sales than it will lose? My guess is that it will become a polarizing feature and more people will shy way from it than those who will see and agree with MC's logic.

People are flexible, pliable creatures. Give me a big, soft, wrap around lounge and I guarantee you I'll get plenty comfortable with my beverage of choice.

Everybody's got an opinion, right? Well that's mine.

WakeDirt 07-02-2013 11:47 AM

2 Attachment(s)
-I don't see how you can interact with a rider when you're facing forward and they are 16' away. I had it going on in my closed bow Falcon Vee!
-Was rocking a CATS system on her too...man that thing was 2014 leading edge technology! Should have kept it ;)

Wakesounds 07-02-2013 12:30 PM

That looks awefull! I like what they were attempting to do, but IMO its the worst design on the market.

whiteflashwatersports1 07-02-2013 1:05 PM

Those seats suck

loudontn 07-03-2013 6:39 AM

The death of the sunpad on newer boats is criminal.

MattieK27 07-03-2013 7:26 AM

To everyone complaining about the seats, what are your thoughts on how Tige does the same thing (albeit less pronounced) with their new products? (R20, RZR, Z3, Z1, etc)

I ask because when I talked to Tony Fussel with Tige, and he said the split configuration on the rear bench has being amazingly popular with the boat buying public; and that all their new products would have it. This was back when the RZR/R20 came out, and clearly he wasn't lying.

I am asking for opinions mainly because it seems Tige can do no wrong in the minds of the masses on this board. I just want to see if Tige's split back bench is a sore spot in design as well...

Fixable 07-03-2013 7:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattieK27 (Post 1831518)
I am asking for opinions mainly because it seems Tige can do no wrong in the minds of the masses on this board.

You answered your own question. The WW lynch mob always jumps all over MC, no matter what they do. And when the same feature shows up on a Tige or MB...... ERMAHGERD!! I loooove it!

pierce_bronkite 07-03-2013 8:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1831526)
You answered your own question. The WW lynch mob always jumps all over MC, no matter what they do. And when the same feature shows up on a Tige or MB...... ERMAHGERD!! I loooove it!

This wasnt the case about 8-10 years ago. Tigé was always bashed on this forum and everyone preached about Mastercraft and Xstars. I will give you just one example of this case. When WakeWorld did the best products of the year polls amongst its members the Xstar was consistenly voted number one back to back for many years.

Tigé has just improved its boats and reacting to what the customers and market demand over the years.

jarrod 07-03-2013 8:16 AM

The complaining about surfing is in fact useless, but that won't stop me from doing it (complaining that is). I agree with the history of new sports interrupting the older ones.

on Victoria slough in the delta, 20 wakeboarding boats can have a great time, at the same time. OR, one wakesurf boat can have a good time, and make the water useless for anything but surfing and tubing. Are they entitled? Totally. But do I still hate it? Absolutely.

craigtxmc 07-03-2013 8:17 AM

Our first one will be here Tuesday so i will get it unwrapped, drive and try it out, and post pics and give the low down... The X-45 has been our best seller here for the last 4 or 5 years so it will be interesting to see if the 46 continues the popularity of the 24 ft family boat here.

polarbill 07-03-2013 8:18 AM

Matt, I think you basically answered your own question and not the reason the overly sensative MC owner above posted. The Tige version of it is a lot less pronounced. That said I personally still don't like it on the tige or any other boat that has it. I just don't like that you can basically only sit(comfortably) facing forward in those types of seats. With a "normal" wrap around you can sit with your back to the transom so you are facing forward, you can sit with your back to the side of the boat so you are facing the other side or you can sit anywhere between.

As for what the Tige person said who knows. He could of just been blowing smoke. I can tell you from working boat shows, talking with boat reps and other dealers/salespeople that they would never stretch the truth to make their situation look better and by that I mean they absolutely do that. I have no idea if Tony was but it definitely wouldn't be surprising. Just like an owner defending their purchase a boat rep has to defend the boat they make a living off of.

polarbill 07-03-2013 8:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craigtxmc (Post 1831538)
Our first one will be here Tuesday so i will get it unwrapped, drive and try it out, and post pics and give the low down... The X-45 has been our best seller here for the last 4 or 5 years so it will be interesting to see if the 46 continues the popularity of the 24 ft family boat here.

Craig, anyway you could put an X46 and a new xstar right next to each other and snap a pic from above? I would like to see how the interior space of each compare considering they are very similar boats in everything except the hull bottom and the rear seating.

MattieK27 07-03-2013 8:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1831539)
Matt, I think you basically answered your own question and not the reason the overly sensative MC owner above posted. The Tige version of it is a lot less pronounced. That said I personally still don't like it on the tige or any other boat that has it. I just don't like that you can basically only sit(comfortably) facing forward in those types of seats. With a "normal" wrap around you can sit with your back to the transom so you are facing forward, you can sit with your back to the side of the boat so you are facing the other side or you can sit anywhere between.

As for what the Tige person said who knows. He could of just been blowing smoke. I can tell you from working boat shows, talking with boat reps and other dealers/salespeople that they would never stretch the truth to make their situation look better and by that I mean they absolutely do that. I have no idea if Tony was but it definitely wouldn't be surprising. Just like an owner defending their purchase a boat rep has to defend the boat they make a living off of.

The fact he said it about the R20/RZR, then the Z3 and Z1 came out with that same feature would tell me he wasn't just blowing smoke.

I agree I am not a big fan of splitting the rear bench up, but it must have some merit if it has been a successful feature for Tige and now MC is doing it. I just remember Nautique getting slammed for it on the 220 and first year second gen 210; I wonder what has changed? (Based on how physically big these wake boats have gotten and the more advanced interior setups, I honestly believe the 220 was a boat way ahead of its time)

Fixable 07-03-2013 8:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polarbill (Post 1831539)
Matt, I think you basically answered your own question and not the reason the overly sensative MC owner above posted. The Tige version of it is a lot less pronounced. That said I personally still don't like it on the tige or any other boat that has it. I just don't like that you can basically only sit(comfortably) facing forward in those types of seats. With a "normal" wrap around you can sit with your back to the transom so you are facing forward, you can sit with your back to the side of the boat so you are facing the other side or you can sit anywhere between.

As for what the Tige person said who knows. He could of just been blowing smoke. I can tell you from working boat shows, talking with boat reps and other dealers/salespeople that they would never stretch the truth to make their situation look better and by that I mean they absolutely do that. I have no idea if Tony was but it definitely wouldn't be surprising. Just like an owner defending their purchase a boat rep has to defend the boat they make a living off of.

Who's overly sensitive? :D The ironic statement is....Ironic.

No sense in denying that WW has an overabundance of MC hate. Everyone knows it does.

I would tend to agree that the seats wouldn't be my favorite feature on the X46. But I have never sat in them....

As far as star vs 46, I am guessing that the Star has 2x the storage, and about 30% less interior space. It would be cool to see them side by side with an overhead view though.

boardman74 07-03-2013 12:57 PM

Comparing that seating to the Tige is crazy. I just went and check my RZR in the garage. There is zero set back on the lower cushion and a whole 4 inch's on the seat backs. How is that even comparable?

Tige is not splitting the rear seating area. I wouldn't own one if they were. Its 4 inches to make a little deeper more comfortable seat.

MattieK27 07-03-2013 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1831616)
Comparing that seating to the Tige is crazy. I just went and check my RZR in the garage. There is zero set back on the lower cushion and a whole 4 inch's on the seat backs. How is that even comparable?

Tige is not splitting the rear seating area. I wouldn't own one if they were. Its 4 inches to make a little deeper more comfortable seat.

LOL

You Tige guys are too much.

Does the chip on your shoulder come before or after you buy the boat?

migs 07-03-2013 2:10 PM

Amen J-rod.
AMEN

cadunkle 07-03-2013 3:11 PM

Very ugly styling, and not crazy about the interior design as compared to a traditional wraparound layout. Don't like the new goofy rigid/sharp lines on these latest towers either. I'm sure it throws a great wake but the styling is not appealing at all to me.

johnny_defacto 07-03-2013 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fixable (Post 1831550)
Who's overly sensitive? :D The ironic statement is....Ironic.

No sense in denying that WW has an overabundance of MC hate. Everyone knows it does.

I would tend to agree that the seats wouldn't be my favorite feature on the X46. But I have never sat in them....

I will deny that ww has an overabundance of MC hate... for no good reason as you seem to insinuate.

Tige got bashed 10 years ago for having some crappy boats (I had one of that era and loved it, no problems..) I don't think people decided to hate on Tige just for fun, there were reasons behind it and it was probably warranted.

MC, nautique, and Malibu (the big 3) are getting pounded because of price tag.... for good reason.

MB gets hammered because they appear to pay a bunch of people to flood the forums anytime negative MB comments are made, using the same talking points over and over. Or they flood the forums with EVERY SINGLE "which boat" thread trying to sell MB to the OP's, even if the OP is specifically looking for a boat that has no letter "m" in the name. Wether they are getting paid or just uber loyal owners, it got crazy for a while and MB got pounded for it.... for good reason.

MC gets hammered lately because of so many reasons... especially any of their boats besides the 04-12 xstar or the new x-25. 2 boats they seem to have got right, and the xstar of that era is a rockstar to this day. The rest of their boats just dont seem to make sense. they do wierd things with their towers and layouts of the interior. The new xstar is a disappointment, and its rival the G23/25 is absolutely destroying the xstar, getting better reviews in what appears to be all categories. There appears to be no good reason to buy a mastercraft these days... other than to be able to say "i have a mastercraft" or if you care nothing of wake/wave or ride and really just like the way it looks. Yes their build quality is great, so is malibu and nautique and most others. Their material is great... so are the others. There new motors are probably great, but so are indmar and PCM. For the same price or less, you can have a the same or better wake, interior lay out and use of space, tower, dash and drivers helm, and warranty in a boat that can turn well.... by going with another brand.

I don't hate MC, I would take a set happily behind any of their models, but imo I don't see one boat I would buy in their line up, yet I will be told by their salesmen how crappy every other boat manufacturer is and why I should not buy one of those.

For these reasons, and more, MC is getting an "over abundance of hate".... imo, rightfully so.

polarbill 07-03-2013 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny_defacto (Post 1831662)
I will deny that ww has an overabundance of MC hate... for no good reason as you seem to insinuate.

Tige got bashed 10 years ago for having some crappy boats (I had one of that era and loved it, no problems..) I don't think people decided to hate on Tige just for fun, there were reasons behind it and it was probably warranted.

MC, nautique, and Malibu (the big 3) are getting pounded because of price tag.... for good reason.

MB gets hammered because they appear to pay a bunch of people to flood the forums anytime negative MB comments are made, using the same talking points over and over. Or they flood the forums with EVERY SINGLE "which boat" thread trying to sell MB to the OP's, even if the OP is specifically looking for a boat that has no letter "m" in the name. Wether they are getting paid or just uber loyal owners, it got crazy for a while and MB got pounded for it.... for good reason.

MC gets hammered lately because of so many reasons... especially any of their boats besides the 04-12 xstar or the new x-25. 2 boats they seem to have got right, and the xstar of that era is a rockstar to this day. The rest of their boats just dont seem to make sense. they do wierd things with their towers and layouts of the interior. The new xstar is a disappointment, and its rival the G23/25 is absolutely destroying the xstar, getting better reviews in what appears to be all categories. There appears to be no good reason to buy a mastercraft these days... other than to be able to say "i have a mastercraft" or if you care nothing of wake/wave or ride and really just like the way it looks. Yes their build quality is great, so is malibu and nautique and most others. Their material is great... so are the others. There new motors are probably great, but so are indmar and PCM. For the same price or less, you can have a the same or better wake, interior lay out and use of space, tower, dash and drivers helm, and warranty in a boat that can turn well.... by going with another brand.

I don't hate MC, I would take a set happily behind any of their models, but imo I don't see one boat I would buy in their line up, yet I will be told by their salesmen how crappy every other boat manufacturer is and why I should not buy one of those.

For these reasons, and more, MC is getting an "over abundance of hate".... imo, rightfully so.

I would agree with a lot of this. Wakeworld is a website/forum for wakeboard enthusiasts so I don't think it represents the typical boat buyer very well. The people on this site seem to be car more concerned with wake performance than the average buyer. Like Johnny said MC are crazy expensive so they get bashed some on that which all the other top price point boats do. I personally think they have dropped the ball the last 10 years on most of their boats as far as wake performance and driving characteristics are concerned. Like Johnny said, outside of the 03-12 Xstar they haven't had a great performing or handling wakeboard boat. The pickle fork X2 is a great boat but doesn't handle that great and is just an average wakeboard and surf boat. The X15 might be their next best boat from a wakeboard standpoint but again is just an average surf boat and the handling isn't as good as others. The late model X30 was a horrible driving boat that as average at best both wakeboarding and surfing. the X45 is a great party/family boat but again is average at best as a surf or wake boat. The X35 and X55 are glorified vdrive runabouts.

With all that said I am not trying to say Mastercraft is doing the wrong thing. They may very well have made a good business decision by trying to make their boats be more of a vdrive runabout than a true world championship towboat. I am not sure how their newer boats are performing but they also appear to be extremely well built and luxuries Vdrives with average wake and handling performance.

You also have to realize that this is not say that they suck and are terrible performers but that they don't seem to keep up in comparison to their competitors. Most Malibu's, Nautique's, MB's, the new Supra's and probably even the Tige's seem to all exceed comparable Mastercraft's in wake performance. I know when I sold Mastercraft's in 2007 Malibu's drove circles around Mastercraft's. Do their newest boats handle any better than the old one's?

Anyways, I am sure some won't like that opinion but whatever. IT may not have at all been their vision but to me they are concerned more about appealing to the average potential buyer(upper class family that wants the coolest/most luxurious wakeboard boat who is also looking at runabouts) than the core wakeboarder/surfer. It they did do that on purpose it is probably the correct business decision as the runabout market absolutely dwarfs the inboard towboat market.

ilikebeaverandboats 07-03-2013 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattieK27 (Post 1831634)
LOL

You Tige guys are too much.

Does the chip on your shoulder come before or after you buy the boat?

Tige guys have the chip on their shoulder?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DPMjkYzp5bU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MattieK27 07-03-2013 5:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats (Post 1831670)
Tige guys have the chip on their shoulder?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DPMjkYzp5bU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In a world where owners go out and measure the setback on their rear seat sides and somehow justify a 4" difference as straight across and not splitting the seating area (and even going to the extent of calling it just a "deeper more comfortable seat"), yes I would say Tige owners have the chip. Keep in mind Tige employees themselves referred to it as offset seating.

Maybe chip is the wrong phrase, maybe just call it uptight? ;)

I just feel bad boardman didn't get his price tag question answered, he did ask twice. I am sure he is actually interested in price, he isn't just looking to mock or complain once he finds out... :rolleyes:

boardman74 07-03-2013 6:58 PM

I don't think anyone except maybe you have a chip on their shoulder. I was simply stating that having a little 4 inch set back is far different then having seats that are easily an entire seat length back. Guess its the same. I don't think it is, if you do thats fine. If the shoe fits...lace it up!

I'm curious as to the price because like most are implying MC's pricing is out of this world to the average buyer.

Thanks for keeping track of my posts.....

MattieK27 07-03-2013 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boardman74 (Post 1831686)
I don't think anyone except maybe you have a chip on their shoulder. I was simply stating that having a little 4 inch set back is far different then having seats that are easily an entire seat length back. Guess its the same. I don't think it is, if you do thats fine. If the shoe fits...lace it up!

I'm curious as to the price because like most are implying MC's pricing is out of this world to the average buyer.

Thanks for keeping track of my posts.....

Yep, maybe uptight was the better designation. Not keeping track, merely pointing out you must be really really curious about the price. Just remember though, 4' is not a split. That is perfectly straight across... ;)


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.