WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Need to resurface swim platform on 01 X30 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798564)

skongolf 06-11-2013 3:35 PM

Need to resurface swim platform on 01 X30
 
I have a 2001 X-30 and the rubber on the swim platform is toast, it tracks black everywhere. I know there are 3 options due to research, Seadek, Hydroturf, and Gatorgrip. Everyone seems to have their own opinion of each so its tough to tell what to get. The bad thing about my platform is that it is 2 pieces, really curved and has cut outs so the template is kind of a nightmare. Seadek has a precut one, but it would be around $300+ when all is said and done. Hydroturf is the cheapest but a few people have said glue it down then cut because the stuff expands. Not sure how excited I would be to cut it after its tacked down too. Finally Gator Grip seems ok, but there is not a lot of room for error due to the size of the sheets and if I buy two sheets it is basically the same cost as Seadek. Just looking for some more opinions or first hand experience.

99Bison 06-11-2013 3:47 PM

I installed hydroturf this spring in 3 curvy pieces with straight angled edges between them, made cardboard templates to copy. I didn't really have to choose which way to go as the hyrdoturf piece came with the boat :).

Followed the recommended instructions - contact cement. Other than waiting 5 minutes to put the pad on the deck because couldn't move it at all by then (learned with first attempt). Instead basically put it on right away after spreading the contact cement (which probably took a couple minutes).

As far as expanding, I'm not really sure that's true or not but can see that perspective as you rollout from the center to make sure air all gets out - And doing so probably stretches it all a bit compared to just laying there. Mine ended up pretty good and consistent around the edges. The part I worked hardest on (mostly prep before sticking) was to get the straight edges spaced equally.

This was about 2 months ago, I haven't notices any stretching or shrinking to date. However, it hasn't gotten above about 85 here yet.

I didn't time it, but probably took 2 to 3 hours or something in that neighborhood. Obviously not as easy as peal and stick, but for about $70 total (if had to buy turf, glue, and brush) vs. $300+ it may have been worth it :).

boardman74 06-11-2013 3:56 PM

SeaDek is getting to be OEM on most of the platforms. May give more of a modern factory look.

brichter14 06-11-2013 8:39 PM

If u don't wanna spend an arm and a leg u can get "high impact flooring" from a sporting goods store and cut it with a utility knife. 20 bucks.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps657d9e89.jpg

skongolf 06-11-2013 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brichter14 (Post 1827408)
If u don't wanna spend an arm and a leg u can get "high impact flooring" from a sporting goods store and cut it with a utility knife. 20 bucks.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/k...ps657d9e89.jpg

Looks good but I want to avoid black living in AZ. What did you glue it down with?

jburbo 06-12-2013 5:17 AM

check out agendasurf.com under boat traction. I have had several people here use the boat traction sheet, and they love it. There are a lot of good color options as well.

brichter14 06-12-2013 6:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skongolf (Post 1827429)
Looks good but I want to avoid black living in AZ. What did you glue it down with?

3m double sided tape. I think it also comes in gray

chattwake 06-12-2013 7:28 AM

There's a guys down the road from me who can make you a teak platform for your boat for like $500. I bought one from him years ago for an '02 Xstar (ripped the platform off doing a powerturn - duh). Shipping to AZ might be a bear, but I love the look of a teak platform.

skongolf 06-12-2013 9:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jburbo (Post 1827446)
check out agendasurf.com under boat traction. I have had several people here use the boat traction sheet, and they love it. There are a lot of good color options as well.

Looked at their stuff and it looks alot like the hydroturf. Unfortunately I need a piece 66" Wide so that kind of rules their sheets out.

For those that have used any of these products, how does the double sided 3m tape compare to using a 3M glue or contact cement for durability? It gets upwards of 110 degrees her for about 3-4 months out of the year.

brichter14 06-12-2013 5:00 PM

Heat is good for adhesives. Cold is bad. I've had mine on for 3 summers and only had one section peel up.

williamburell 06-12-2013 5:50 PM

Hey man I was the guy who said the expanding was an issue on TT. Evidently that was more isolated to the older stuff according to the tech guys I talked to. Just cut it from a template and get the 3m adhesive predone or the double sided and it wont expand. That was my bad for saying that but evidently it used to be a problem. Mine expanded like an 1" on each side on the old stuff.

Xtreme_Aviator 06-13-2013 6:39 AM

Watch Seadek's site, if you didnt already know they sometimes have ones with blemishes that they sell for over 50% off. you might get lucky. We bought one and couldnt tell where the blemish was

skongolf 06-13-2013 9:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme_Aviator (Post 1827646)
Watch Seadek's site, if you didnt already know they sometimes have ones with blemishes that they sell for over 50% off. you might get lucky. We bought one and couldnt tell where the blemish was

Yeah, I have been checking the Seadek site pretty frequently and no luck so far. Bad thing about my platform is it is totally curved and 2 pieces with hand hold cutouts. I may have to go ahead and get the template kit from seadek though.

skongolf 06-13-2013 9:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamburell (Post 1827577)
Hey man I was the guy who said the expanding was an issue on TT. Evidently that was more isolated to the older stuff according to the tech guys I talked to. Just cut it from a template and get the 3m adhesive predone or the double sided and it wont expand. That was my bad for saying that but evidently it used to be a problem. Mine expanded like an 1" on each side on the old stuff.

Thanks for letting me know. Starting to make the decision alot easier. How did you make your template?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:45 PM.