WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Best Lakes to Live On (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797668)

cassidyb 04-15-2013 5:53 PM

Best Lakes to Live On
 
Just wondering if theres a good consensus out there on the best lakes to live on.

Criteria:
1. Moderately adjacent to a major city/population center
2. Large body of water that maintains calm/flat conditions
3. On lake entertainment ie. boat up restaurant/bars
4. In-expensive housing
5. As close to year round boating weather as possible


Thanks! Look forward to the replies.

jrz1 04-15-2013 6:00 PM

hard to get 1, 2, 3 and 5 with number 4.....

scottb7 04-15-2013 6:24 PM

Best lake to live on is the one I am on. It is 3 miles from snowboarding. Give up on # 5 and get a winter sport.

cassidyb 04-15-2013 6:25 PM

Naturally. In-expensive in the sense that $1M+ homes arent an option. Ive found some homes on Lake Travis and Lake Douglas for $300-500k that are plenty fine, not looking for mansions, just reasonable homes.

cassidyb 04-15-2013 6:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb7 (Post 1816883)
Best lake to live on is the one I am on. It is 3 miles from snowboarding. Give up on # 5 and get a winter sport.

Ya... Ive been on skis since I could walk, lived in NM and CO my whole life, including 4yrs in Vail. Growing up I spent my summers at the lake but I'm toying with the idea of trying full time lake life.

volzalum 04-15-2013 6:31 PM

There are 5 lakes in East TN that meet most of the criteria. In order of most expensive/most options to least expensive/least of #3: Fort Loudon, Norris, Watts Bar, Melton Hill, Douglas, and a little further out is Cherokee.

scottb7 04-15-2013 6:43 PM

I like winter better. I just drive the 3 miles and let the lifties do the work, and say hi on my way back to the top...No worries about boat starting, maintenance, insurance, gas. Don't need a driver to get a pull. This winter, between december and march I went out over 80 times. Multiply that times average of 1.5 hours each time = 120 hours on the hill.

I am thinking about giving up the boating and move to reno/tahoe area.

SkySki 04-15-2013 6:46 PM

Lake Havasu City, AZ, Canyon Lake, CA.

Pad1Tai 04-15-2013 6:51 PM

Lake Conroe, Texas <$500K........ Lots of party restaurants.. ( even Mc D's has a dock...) Trinity River is a short pull away with eternal butter conditions... Long Summers..

dougr 04-15-2013 6:52 PM

the carolina's fit all those needs, give or take feb and march, but the lake is 70's now and will push 80's by mid may and stay that way until x mas. dirt cheap to live, little to no property tax and you can buy a 4000 sq ft home on the wate for 500kr or 350's across from the water. close to charlotte, airport and you can ski all winter in the north east part of north carolina. 4 to 6000 feet elevation. Great mt biking, motox parks, ultimate 4x4 in the smoky's and be at the beach in 3 hours.

we moved here form pgh pa and wish we would have many years ago. lake wylie, waterie, norman, mt island, murray and many more.

dezul 04-15-2013 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottb7 (Post 1816889)
I like winter better. I just drive the 3 miles and let the lifties do the work, and say hi on my way back to the top...No worries about boat starting, maintenance, insurance, gas. Don't need a driver to get a pull. This winter, between december and march I went out over 80 times. Multiply that times average of 1.5 hours each time = 120 hours on the hill.

I am thinking about giving up the boating and move to reno/tahoe area.

Hot sun, women in bikinis, and easy, cheap drinking with tons of friends. I am thinking about giving up snowboarding. It is harder on my old bones also.

scottb7 04-15-2013 7:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached.

Dmac420sj 04-15-2013 7:20 PM

California delta!

markj 04-15-2013 11:29 PM

Looks like the chick on the left has her right foot in the left binding.

jtiblier123 04-16-2013 4:54 AM

mid florida

jonblarc7 04-16-2013 6:23 AM

She has her legs crossed

iShredSAN 04-16-2013 7:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pad1Tai (Post 1816893)
Lake Conroe, Texas <$500K........ Lots of party restaurants.. ( even Mc D's has a dock...) Trinity River is a short pull away with eternal butter conditions... Long Summers..

For the win!

maxx_wake 04-16-2013 7:24 AM

Another vote for Conroe. Only negative is that good water is tough to find but if you live on the water after work sets during the week or early morning weekend sets are where it is at. If we go out on the weekends now it is typically just to cruise around, go out to eat, hang out at the beach etc. Plus like was already mentioned if you really want to ride on the weekends nothing beats the Trinity which is less than an hour.

jmanolinsky 04-16-2013 8:45 AM

Dax, you forgot Tellico Lake in East TN. Almost as convenient to Knoxville as Ft Loudon and a heck of a lot cleaner/clearer. Of course its nice that you can just boat from Ft Loudon to the Tellicoor vice-versa if one desires. Actually, you can lock through Ft Loudon dam and head to Watts Bar as well.
Jman

bftskir 04-16-2013 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll sell you a house here for 1mil...the one on the right side of the lake. Shortline Lake. The boat is pulling up to your new dock.

cbarguy1 04-16-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougr (Post 1816894)
the carolina's fit all those needs, give or take feb and march, but the lake is 70's now and will push 80's by mid may and stay that way until x mas. dirt cheap to live, little to no property tax and you can buy a 4000 sq ft home on the wate for 500kr or 350's across from the water. close to charlotte, airport and you can ski all winter in the north east part of north carolina. 4 to 6000 feet elevation. Great mt biking, motox parks, ultimate 4x4 in the smoky's and be at the beach in 3 hours.

we moved here form pgh pa and wish we would have many years ago. lake wylie, waterie, norman, mt island, murray and many more.

Sounds like heaven.

JamesHawk101 04-16-2013 12:44 PM

Clear Lake in Orlando if you wanna meet some pros. Doesn't have restaurants though.

CobraRob 04-16-2013 1:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pad1Tai (Post 1816893)
Lake Conroe, Texas <$500K........ Lots of party restaurants.. ( even Mc D's has a dock...) Trinity River is a short pull away with eternal butter conditions... Long Summers..

Just moved to the woodlands.. Going to need a location map of lake.. Tie-up spots. riding spots, etc

rallyart 04-16-2013 8:25 PM

Oops, my lake is a total fail.
1) 6 hours away
2) large body of water but you get some really entertaining storms
3) on lake restaurants and bars are only 30-45 minutes away by boat (not many)
4) LOL an empty lot that won't ever get any services is over 400k
5) well, the water is almost warm for three months but does not have ice for much of the year.

Oh well, I guess it won't get more crowded. :D


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:26 PM.