WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Boogey Boarding (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797606)

Holidayking 04-09-2013 11:05 PM

Boogey Boarding
 
We are in Maui right now and my kids love Boogey Boarding. I assume if you can surf behind a boat you can Boogey Board too. Anyone successfully done this behind a wake boat?:confused:

ashjbrown 04-10-2013 5:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holidayking (Post 1816044)
We are in Maui right now and my kids love Boogey Boarding. I assume if you can surf behind a boat you can Boogey Board too. Anyone successfully done this behind a wake boat?:confused:

You sure can. It is so much fun. You need to try it. Doing barrel rolls is so much fun.

bigcatpt 04-10-2013 7:34 AM

Not a great idea unless you like huffing fumes and inhaling CO2.

markj 04-10-2013 7:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcatpt (Post 1816071)
Not a great idea unless you like huffing fumes and inhaling CO2.

True unless you have FAE. That helps a lot.

Holidayking 04-10-2013 10:25 AM

What is FAE?

wakedaveup 04-10-2013 10:56 AM

"Fresh Air Exhaust". Some boats have emission systems that cut down on the CO2 output

markj 04-10-2013 11:18 AM

Fresh air exhaust is an extension of your exhaust tip. It is a down pipe which directs the exhaust below the water so when you're underway, the exhaust bubbles up way behind you thereby allowing you to breath fresh air rather than a bunch of exhaust. It makes stereos seem a lot louder too since the exhaust comes out under water.

Holidayking 04-10-2013 1:12 PM

Wow. I will inquire

tonyv420 04-10-2013 2:08 PM

FAE is the best money I've ever spent on my boat! Totally worth it! And my stereo sounds way better too!

Holidayking 04-10-2013 3:37 PM

Can FAE be added to any boat? My dealer is saying that the new catalytic converters do the same as FAE. Any thoughts on that?

ilikebeaverandboats 04-10-2013 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holidayking (Post 1816152)
Can FAE be added to any boat? My dealer is saying that the new catalytic converters do the same as FAE. Any thoughts on that?

Unless your catalytic converter is extending down beyond the transom it is not doing the same thing. Your Cat may reduce the amount of CO2 but you will still be able to smell the exhaust which isnt pleasant anyways. keep in mind that CO2 is oderless and I am convinced that it would be difficult to actually inhale enough CO2 to hurt yourself anyways.

Here is a link to the company site
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
click on "installation pictures"
Been looking into getting one for a while.

wolfe_drew 04-11-2013 8:41 PM

There is a group buy running over on the Moomba forum now for the FAE.

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showt...aust-Group-Buy

wakewoody 04-14-2013 9:09 AM

Can you use fae on a 6 liter indmar with catalytic exhaust? Along with a Malibu power wedge?

ferral 04-14-2013 9:43 AM

They make them for all kinds of boats, and from people I know that have used them, they will work with you on a custom setup if its necessary for your boat. I've heard nothign but good things and plan to look into one for my Axis this summer.

norcalrider 04-16-2013 2:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats (Post 1816154)
Unless your catalytic converter is extending down beyond the transom it is not doing the same thing. Your Cat may reduce the amount of CO2 but you will still be able to smell the exhaust which isnt pleasant anyways. keep in mind that CO2 is oderless and I am convinced that it would be difficult to actually inhale enough CO2 to hurt yourself anyways.

Here is a link to the company site
http://www.freshairexhaust.com/
click on "installation pictures"
Been looking into getting one for a while.

I think you're both confusing your emissions. A catalytic might reduce some CO but actually converts other criteria pollutants and air toxics into CO2. CO is what you're worried as the "silent killer."

ilikebeaverandboats 04-17-2013 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalrider (Post 1817068)
I think you're both confusing your emissions. A catalytic might reduce some CO but actually converts other criteria pollutants and air toxics into CO2. CO is what you're worried as the "silent killer."

Good catch, I got very excited and jittery at the keys....You are correct, what i was referring to was Carbon MONoxide (CO), not carbon DIoxide (CO2)..... thank you my friend! :D ;)

markj 04-17-2013 11:30 PM

Jay, your dealer needs to be spanked for that incomplete bad info. From an exhaust inhalation standpoint, boogie boarding is very similar to teak surfing because your face is right behind the boat breathing in fumes whether you smell them or not. If you don't have FAE you are just asking for it if you boogie board behind a boat without it.

Jbort 04-18-2013 7:24 AM

my 12 yr old boogey boards on his knees and has a blast. we use our wakesurf setup for a big wave and off he goes. We've also done a double with friends. BTW our boat (Tige 07 22Ve) has FAE and we r BIG BIG fans.

http://youtu.be/eqVevqVYRQY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ-mc...ature=youtu.be

markj 04-18-2013 8:29 AM

Did you notice how quiet that boat was in the video? People could talk to the rider without yelling.

Jbort 04-18-2013 10:34 AM

Good comment Markj. We also use Wetsound Ws-420 for PA via tower speakers which is easily heard w minimal engine noise because of the FAE.

Jpirotte 04-18-2013 4:19 PM

You bet
 
I had ankle surgery last year and grew up in Hawaii so I gave it a whirl. So much I bought a new body board and a fin for one foot for this season. Have fun!!

Holidayking 04-25-2013 8:37 PM

Looks like one more way to have fun. FAE is crucial

markj 04-28-2013 12:22 AM

After boogie boarding on my wake surf board for years, I decided to try it on a real boogie board. Didn't go that well... The boogie board that i use in ocean waves was a tad small for a wakeboat's wave. Not enough surface area on the boogie board. I might look and see if there are bigger boogie boards out there. On the other hand, why? My Phase 5 board (oogle) works great.

Holidayking 04-28-2013 8:10 PM

Good to know. If you have any video please post it. I would like to see this in action. Sounds Fun.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:26 PM.