WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Chic rider wants her own board (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796825)

Drea 02-02-2013 2:34 PM

Chic rider wants her own board
 
Hey everyone! It seems you get these questions a lot, but I couldn't resist....I don't have a lot of friends who wakesurf or even know what wakesurfing is, and the ones that do are beginners along with me! My father-in-law has a Nautique (can't remember the size) and he bought a basic Hyperlite wakesurf board to start with. We wakeboard, too, but wanted to try something new. Anyways, it's badass, I love it so much, and hopefully this summer we'll adjust our fat sacs to the perfect position on the boat to make a better wake than last year. I think that was our main problem when letting go of the rope..we didn't have a big enough wake to pull. I'm probably using all the wrong terms but I bet you know what I'm talking about :)

So. I want to buy a board, and I'm looking at the 2011 Liquid Force 5'2 Noserider. Does anyone have experience with this board, or suggestions for something better for me? I'm 5'7 and 140-45 lbs. Thanks for your time, hopefully my post wasn't too long and boring!
-Drea

PureWakesurfing1 02-02-2013 6:30 PM

The LF noserider will be much easier to ride than the Broadcast, and feel looser and easier to turn but is still a fairly basic board. If you really want to stay production, but have an easy to ride board that will progress with you, I'd say step up to the LF Thruster. It's got the removable fins still so you can keep it set up as a thruster while progressing, and will be able to ridden a bit quicker and turn better with a twin fin setup than the noserider once you advance a bit. I've got one on the boat and everyone from beginner to advanced can ride it well.

If you decide to go custom, there's a few girls your size on our lake that will be rocking a 4'6" Brigade Zulu this year.

Drea 02-02-2013 6:44 PM

Thanks so much! That is VERY helpful! I will def look those up, and look into the thruster and the one from brigade, too. Good thing I have some time to save up for a good one ;)

cwb4me 02-03-2013 5:55 AM

My wife learned on a Phase 5 COLT. Everyone who has tried this board had no trouble getting up and riding rope less their first time trying it.It's locked in and has plenty of down the line speed.My wife learned when she was 50 years old and rode rope less her first time out too.It's just that easy.

malibu 02-03-2013 8:08 AM

Drea, I am about your same size and have been addicted to wakesurfing since 2000. I started on a Hyperlite Landlock and then went to a Phase Five Prop, which was a really fun board for me. I now ride a Calibrated Piscus for skim and a Soulcraft Jetty for surf. These boards are so much more lively and responsive, it doesn't even seem like the same sport as when I started wakesurfing, on my Landlock. I never thought I liked surf style until I tried the Jetty, now I love riding with fins and want to learn some surf style tricks.
I think you will outgrow the Liquid Force Noserider quickly and want something more aggressive. I would watch some videos of skim and surf riders and see what style you like best. If you go to www.wake9.com you will see the reviews from the Polar Bear event last Oct. We had several women riders reviewing different styles of boards. Their are videos and pictures too.
Let us know what board you decide on:)

wakebrdjay 02-03-2013 9:34 AM

Nice answer Sue.The first thing you need to figure out is which type you like ,then a board of that style to your liking.

ryangb 02-03-2013 11:28 AM

Save your money and skip the wakeboard companies boards, and go for a high performance board. For a skim style look at Inland Surfer, Phase 5, Calibrated. For surf style, check out Inland, Soulcraft, The Walker Project, Brigade. I just ordered a Walker Project BombPop. Looks like a super sick board. Can't wait to ride it.

If you post up the ballast set up you were using, you will get a lot of good suggestions on where to put the weight in your boat for the best wave.

WakeDirt 02-03-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryangb (Post 1804631)
Save your money and skip the wakeboard companies boards, and go for a high performance board. For a skim style look at Inland Surfer, Phase 5, Calibrated. For surf style, check out Inland, Soulcraft, The Walker Project, Brigade. I just ordered a Walker Project BombPop. Looks like a super sick board. Can't wait to ride it.

If you post up the ballast set up you were using, you will get a lot of good suggestions on where to put the weight in your boat for the best wave.

And I just may have a nice Red Calibrated Piscus I'd be willing to sell :rolleyes: It has the 3 fins setup, and the outside fins can be removed to make it a "pro" model. My girlfirend and all her friends use it at their board, but I am getting a new surfstyle board made for myboat-girl-board.

I had it for sale last year but the gals talked me out of it ha ha

I have a pro model (single fin only) Calibrated as my personal skim and love love love it (NOT forsale)

malibu 02-03-2013 6:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakebrdjay (Post 1804622)
Nice answer Sue.The first thing you need to figure out is which type you like ,then a board of that style to your liking.

Thanks Jake:D

LKASurfing 02-04-2013 4:27 AM

Drea,
I'd grab an Inland Surfer 4 skim...add outside fins for a more surf feel, single fin for pure skim. My girl rides an older Inland Surfer Pink, pure skim, & she loves it!

Drea 02-04-2013 3:47 PM

Wow, you all are just so awesome and knowledgeable :) I am looking into all of your suggestions. Since I have a few months, it's a good time to research!

As for the ballast issue..we have been unsure of our layout from day 1, but hopefully with the help of some experts (you!) we can fix it. The boat is a SkiNautique 205, so 20.5 feet long. We were using a fat sac in the far back storage compartment, with a capacity for 750, but it wouldn't fit if it was filled all the way, so we filled it up as much as we could in order to shut the doors. And then we had an additional yellow fat sac that I believe was between 350 and 400. We put this one on the left side of the boat long ways, between the passenger seat and the back seat, if you're looking at the boat from the position when you're surfing. We all ride regular.
The wake was alright but we were unsure if we needed another fat sac in the front of the boat, or another on the side near the back. I tried letting go of the rope last year a few times but immediately stopped going forward. I'm not sure if that's completely due to bad technique or if it's partially because our wake isn't big enough yet. My father-in-law (who owns the boat) has been wakeboarding and slaloming and skiing for a few years but this is a whole new thing for all of us, so we definitely could use help! Thanks again for your time..
By the way, it's temps in the teens today in Wisconsin and snowy. It's hard to believe that we'll ever have nice boating weather again :)

Drea 02-04-2013 3:51 PM

Wakedirt,
I can't seem to message you on here to ask about that Piscus...can you shoot me an email at dreasaylor@yahoo.com sometime? Thanks!

WakeDirt 02-04-2013 4:05 PM

Ya sure,
Sh*t! I literally just posted my board on ebay 3 mins ago!

ryangb 02-04-2013 4:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drea (Post 1804815)
Wow, you all are just so awesome and knowledgeable :) I am looking into all of your suggestions. Since I have a few months, it's a good time to research!

As for the ballast issue..we have been unsure of our layout from day 1, but hopefully with the help of some experts (you!) we can fix it. The boat is a SkiNautique 205, so 20.5 feet long. We were using a fat sac in the far back storage compartment, with a capacity for 750, but it wouldn't fit if it was filled all the way, so we filled it up as much as we could in order to shut the doors. And then we had an additional yellow fat sac that I believe was between 350 and 400. We put this one on the left side of the boat long ways, between the passenger seat and the back seat, if you're looking at the boat from the position when you're surfing. We all ride regular.
The wake was alright but we were unsure if we needed another fat sac in the front of the boat, or another on the side near the back. I tried letting go of the rope last year a few times but immediately stopped going forward. I'm not sure if that's completely due to bad technique or if it's partially because our wake isn't big enough yet. My father-in-law (who owns the boat) has been wakeboarding and slaloming and skiing for a few years but this is a whole new thing for all of us, so we definitely could use help! Thanks again for your time..
By the way, it's temps in the teens today in Wisconsin and snowy. It's hard to believe that we'll ever have nice boating weather again :)


It could be a combination of a small wave, and technique.

Just remember that more weight on your front foot will give you more speed, and more weight on the back foot will slow you down. It also helps putting more weight on your toe edge. It will give you more push, and more control as well. You also want to point the board at the back corner of the boat.

surffresh 02-04-2013 5:02 PM

bunch of good info here, but a door can be fun to ride if you have a great wake :) , every boat needs a bunch of different styles of boards and we love riding on both sides also...come on summer

shawndoggy 02-04-2013 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WakeDirt (Post 1804820)
Ya sure,
Sh*t! I literally just posted my board on ebay 3 mins ago!

easy enough to end the auction early.

shawndoggy 02-04-2013 5:33 PM

victoria makes really fun skim boards too, though I'd second the phase five boards as a good "next step." The victoria factor boards have less rocker and are faster, but are also a bit less forgiving.

dejoeco 02-05-2013 10:14 AM

Surf or skim
 
The first question you need to answer is what type of board, surf or skim style. My whole family wakesurfs and we started surf style and one by one went to skim. I posted this in another area.

You should definitely check out the wake skim boards from Victoria. I have ridden and own a Phase Five and my daughter used to use an Inland Surfer board. Both companies are good, but for my buck the Victoria boards are reasonably priced and superb boards. My daughter is now sponsored by Victoria and her skill level has improved exponentially. Look at their website and call Kyle, 949 - 494 - 0059. Tell him Jackie Costa told you to call. You won't regret it. They retail new in the mid 3's. Current women's champion rides the Agent and my daughter is riding the Factor.

Good luck and have fun.

h20king 02-05-2013 5:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My wife has a shredstixx Rebeca ort in perfect shape she would part with for $225 plus shipping board bag not included

cowwboy 02-07-2013 4:17 PM

PM sent on that board.

h20king 02-09-2013 9:16 AM

Sold


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:43 AM.