WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Non-Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4387)
-   -   Burglary Update (my stuff is on Craigslist) (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796511)

bigdtx 12-28-2012 10:43 AM

Burglary Update (my stuff is on Craigslist)

So I posted a while back about my house getting burglarized. I'm still upgrading security and that will take a while to complete.

In the mean time I've been checking Craigslist to see if any of my stuff shows up. Sure enough some car stereo equipment I had in a spare room has popped up for sale. I called the cops, gave them all the info - the detective was real helpful initially - "we're gonna get 'em", etc. Since then - nothing. Ad is still there (with a phone number). They say they can't get hold of the guy. Really pissing me off now - been a couple of weeks.

Anybody have any suggestions on how I get get the cops to do something/anything? He told me they were going to get a subpoena for the phone number but I don't know where they are with that - or what good that will even do.

:banghead:

12-28-2012 10:52 AM

Post the link...maybe some of us can reach the seller :)

Chuch 12-28-2012 11:05 AM

X2 lol

westsidarider 12-28-2012 11:06 AM

More than likely they are researching more into this so they have a bigger book to throw at the dude ie: high dollar amount of stolen property, trailing and or searching for accomplices, possibly trying to catch in the act, looking for other crimes to link him/them to etc etc

grant_west 12-28-2012 11:54 AM

I would make a Log of exactly all your dealings with the police. Make a time line of how things went down from the time you noticed your Items on C list and the emails you sent to the police letting them know about your findings. ( try to avoid phone calls) so that you have a log of all your contact.
If they some how drop the ball or put you on the back burner letting them know have a detailed log of what went down would make them more accountable cause you could simply send your findings via email to the local paper or Chief of police ect. Take screen shots of the Clist adds.
Let the police either do their job or Fail at their job if they Fail you will have everything you need to make them answer tough questions. The squeaky key wheel gets the grease.

wakedaveup 12-28-2012 12:13 PM

^^agreed. I would also prob not post the link on WW. While I'm very curious to see it and would love to call these punks just like everyone else, it's probably not the best idea and could potentially tip the guy/guys off. Best of luck in your recovery.

greg_smith 12-28-2012 12:43 PM

I hope for your sake that they are working hard on it and keeping it low key. But this is why I'm not a huge fan of cops, they seem more concerned with booking people for doing 10 over the speed limit than dealing with bigger issues like this in the world. Just my opinion!

bigdtx 12-28-2012 12:58 PM

My first instinct was to call the guy and handle it myself. The bigger issue is that the stuff on Craigslist is just a small part of what was taken. I hit up the cops in hope they could use this lead to track these guys and maybe get all of my stuff back. They said "don't call him, don't do anything - let us handle it." I'm cool with that - if they are actually doing anything.

I've bought and sold loads of crap on Craigslist - I could get them to respond with the right message - that's what pisses me off about letting the cops handle it.

Not posting the link or any other info - I'll let them keep on it - just wish they would move faster. I know they'd rather catch the guy red-handed down the road than get my stuff back, but I feel like I deserve a little effort for bringing them the lead.

baitkiller 12-30-2012 5:58 AM

Not uncommon. I ran an insurance case where a guy in the Keys had 40K in electronics and tackle stolen off his boat. Last New Years Eve actually. Two weeks later I found half of it on CL. I contacted the detective and also the insurance company. The Insurance company was then in line to apply pressure to the cops. The CL add eventually lead to an arrest of two fine young men of Island birth.