WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Can these classic trucks tow? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795885)

10-11-2012 6:39 PM

Can these classic trucks tow?
 
Out of curiosity...since Ive seen some guys with some old classic cars on this site, thought someone might know something.

Would these old late 40s Ford F1 be able to tow say a 210? Mainly just dumping in the lake and maybe towing flat land a bit. Havent researched them much but Id love to own one.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/12/9uzy2e7y.jpg

timmyb 10-11-2012 6:41 PM

It certainly would look bad azz!

dirwoody 10-11-2012 7:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've got a 54 Chevy 1/2 ton. Will it tow - you bet it will. Everything stock with 390 gears, she will move a mountain, but good luck stopping. Would need to upgrade the brakes for sure, and with gears like mine, she won't go down the road too fast (mine tops out at 55 and is SCREAMING), but if you're looking to pull it from the house to the ramp a short ways down the road, she'd probably do just fine.

petrie141 10-12-2012 8:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr (Post 1789197)
Out of curiosity...since Ive seen some guys with some old classic cars on this site, thought someone might know something.

Would these old late 40s Ford F1 be able to tow say a 210? Mainly just dumping in the lake and maybe towing flat land a bit. Havent researched them much but Id love to own one.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/12/9uzy2e7y.jpg

That thing looks awesome! You sure would get some looks driving it while pulling a boat. Jealous much? Yes I am.

polarbill 10-12-2012 8:25 AM

I think it would tow fine but would look weird unless it is pulling a bad arse jet boat that throws a 200 foot rooster tail or a metal flake stars and stripes.

Houstonshark 10-12-2012 8:38 AM

My buddy just bought this '71 for around $3k. It has a 383 stroker and needs some work but it's pretty cool for the money. I've never liked the step side in this truck though.

It's all personal preference but I agree, the more rounded, bubbly classic trucks would look better towing something more old school and dated like an airstream, a jet boat or a MB.

petrie141 10-12-2012 8:42 AM

Dumb question, but did these kind of trucks get upgraded to power steering at some point? I can't imagine backing up a trailer at a crowded boat ramp turning the wheel from side to side without power steering. Eek!

Houstonshark 10-12-2012 8:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstonshark (Post 1789270)
My buddy just bought this '71 for around $3k. It has a 383 stroker and needs some work but it's pretty cool for the money. I've never liked the step side in this truck though.

It's all personal preference but I agree, the more rounded, bubbly classic trucks would look better towing something more old school and dated like an airstream, a jet boat or a MB.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/12/paza2ahe.jpg

Forgot the pic.

10-12-2012 9:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petrie141 (Post 1789274)
Dumb question, but did these kind of trucks get upgraded to power steering at some point? I can't imagine backing up a trailer at a crowded boat ramp turning the wheel from side to side without power steering. Eek!

All the ones Ive come across...had updated power steering, brakes, etc. i of course would make sure it has all the above updates

But screaming at 55? Dang. No bueno

10-12-2012 9:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Houstonshark (Post 1789276)

Chevy C10...i agree, not a fan of the stepside on that truck but the regular version looks nice

cadunkle 10-12-2012 12:57 PM

I wouldn't tow a large of heavy wake boat with something like that. Tail wagging the dog, need more weight and a longer wheelbase to be comfortable and safe. If you want a nice truck to tow with look at 60s or 70s full size pickups. Don't know about Chevy, but Ford went to a dual circuit brake system in '67. If you get a '66 or earlier do yourself a favor and put in a '67 master cylinder and plumb the brakes into two circuits. Either way, the old trucks are a hell of a lot nicer than the new junk.

bftskir 10-12-2012 2:13 PM

Of course they will tow, it's just a matter of money.

you can always change gears, add power steering, air conditioning, better brakes, etc etc etc.

10-12-2012 2:23 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. My ramp is in my condo development so its a hook boat up back right in deal:) if I towed it, it would be to a dealer for service if I couldnt handle the fix. Thats it and nothing more.

Id rather own one of these than a new truck and still have money left over for a 2nd vehicle.

Houstonshark 10-13-2012 5:46 AM

Here's a pretty sick truck a buddy did the audio system in.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...EDCCE57881.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...EDCE3DC1BC.jpg

Houstonshark 10-13-2012 6:07 AM

This was a friend's but I had a 82 Suburban like this (though not as nice). It was bagged with 20" billet wheels, shaved handles, etc. My wife (GF at the time) hated it.

I'll get something similar someday soon that my boys can work on with me. I've always loved the early 80's Chevys.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...F3AE4DB4FF.jpg

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/m...F3AD504A97.jpg

jacobs0222i 10-17-2012 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thought this was pretty cool.

FunkyBunch 10-18-2012 6:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LR3w8kbrdr (Post 1789378)
Thanks for all the info guys. My ramp is in my condo development so its a hook boat up back right in deal:) if I towed it, it would be to a dealer for service if I couldnt handle the fix. Thats it and nothing more.

LR3w8kbrdr

You live in a condo on the water? I need to here more about this. Where are you at?

10-18-2012 8:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyBunch (Post 1790098)
LR3w8kbrdr

You live in a condo on the water? I need to here more about this. Where are you at?

Lets see...

-15 inboard/vdrive boats on lifts around the lake, only 2 ever go out
-240 acre private lake
-maintained slalom course
-mean depth 9'. Max depth 22'
-very few tubers, 2 jetskis & 1 surfer
-many condos on short sale/foreclosures due to crash when they were turned into condos. Back in 2008 sold for upwards of $212k and now be scooped up in the 50-60k range.
-private boat ramp
-gated access
-butter 99% of time lol

View from patio
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/18/yqyja8ep.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/10/18/he5apeja.jpg

wakebordr11 10-18-2012 8:45 AM

Location? I just relocated with snow skiing in mind, but year round motorcycling and wakeboarding could be cool too...

10-18-2012 9:00 AM

Tampa, FL

FunkyBunch 10-18-2012 9:08 AM

That is a sweet setup. I have been looking for something similar in Texas but all the private ski lakes are mostly acre lots and way out of town.

501s 10-31-2012 9:04 PM

LR3w8kbrdr, I live in Canada and our weather sucks as everyone on here knows. We are always looking for a vacation spot/home, preferablly on a lake but the prices usually keep it out of reach. heck on my lake here in canada anything lakefront is 1 mill.

I just was reading your post and am quite interested in your lake. Any more info you can provide? Looks like a dream come true right there!

93rx7 11-15-2012 9:56 AM

I'm moving down there too if I can get a house on that lake for 60k


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:53 PM.