WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Electric Mastercraft X1 Zero at European boat show (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=791554)

on_board_wakeboarding 01-22-2012 11:14 AM

Electric Mastercraft X1 Zero at European boat show
 
Here's a picture from the first Electric Mastercraft X1 zero, Build by Mastercraft.at electric

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...01084417_n.jpg
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...49230936_n.jpg


the X1 Zero has a Piktronic 80 KW engine with Lithium Ion Batteries
running time approx 90 min at wakeboard speed, charging time 6 hours with 220volts

surffresh 01-22-2012 11:42 AM

price tag approx 5 years total income ? just kidding...any idea ?

on_board_wakeboarding 01-22-2012 11:56 AM

They told me an estimated price with the current euro / dollar rate around 200.000 dollars

SkySki 01-22-2012 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by on_board_wakeboarding (Post 1727207)
They told me an estimated price with the current euro / dollar rate around 200.000 dollars

Guess they are only making them for the CEO, because at that price they aren't going to sell many. You can't get the R&D paid for on something like that in the first year.

johnny_defacto 01-22-2012 3:22 PM

+1 cole.... they should do what MC did with the xstar and charge the customers for R&D on every boat, every year, from 2003 to 2012. I still laugh when I think of my conversation with a salesman at the MC booth back in 08 after I asked why the jump in price from the last year.... he said, with a straight face, "you're paying for the R&D". I asked what R&D? its the same boat, same motor? no answer of course. Poor kid, just spewing talking points sent down by corporate I guess.

Cool boat, we know the wake is good, just curious when we will see it for under $100 here in the states. I can get that same boat for $30k in immaculate condition a few years old, and have $170k to spend on gas.

MattieK27 01-22-2012 3:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny_defacto (Post 1727232)
+1 cole.... they should do what MC did with the xstar and charge the customers for R&D on every boat, every year, from 2003 to 2012. I still laugh when I think of my conversation with a salesman at the MC booth back in 08 after I asked why the jump in price from the last year.... he said, with a straight face, "you're paying for the R&D". I asked what R&D? its the same boat, same motor? no answer of course. Poor kid, just spewing talking points sent down by corporate I guess.

Cool boat, we know the wake is good, just curious when we will see it for under $100 here in the states. I can get that same boat for $30k in immaculate condition a few years old, and have $170k to spend on gas.

Good points. I will definitely take any X1 you can find in immaculate shape for 30k, I haven't seen them close to 30k in the Midwest.

Txjole 01-22-2012 4:03 PM

U don't think every boat maker charges u for R&D? Most boats are just made with cheaper Attwood parts to reduce costs.

johnny_defacto 01-22-2012 4:26 PM

I guess my point is that its ridiculous to charge customers for R&D on an unchanged model for 10 years. Yes, every boat goes up in price every year even if nothing changes.... causes can be many things, inflation, production costs, materials cost, employee costs, government mandates.... but when a salesman tells me the reason in cost increase is that I am paying for the R$D that was done 5+years before? its just funny to me.

brycejb328 01-22-2012 4:46 PM

I know nothing about boat manufacturing, but I work with manufacturing of various hard parts. I guess it all depends on how much they amortize their development and tooling costs. Which in my line of work, that dollar amount per piece that is added to the product cost for development never changes from year to year. Unless said product is re-developed, which then you decide if it is a justified reason for a price increase. Any effecient and profitable company has all this dialed into the price and everyone amortizes and projects it differently. It is possible that a smaller percentage of development costs were added into the pricing structure when a boat was introduced and then as popularity and market acceptance is gained, said company can justify increasing that percentage.

brycejb328 01-22-2012 4:55 PM

in terms of this boat and cost to develop, one would think the major expense was an already existing product. which would be the motor.

SkySki 01-22-2012 6:15 PM

They are not R&D motor or batteries. If they are, they are wasting money and time. That is technology you buy unless you are selling those. Their expense would be in getting those components in their product and making sure they stay dry. I am in no way saying this is an inexpensive task. I am just saying if you have researched this product properly, and you plan on going down this road for the long term, you space out the R&D over a longer time period. If they plan on selling these, 200k isn't going to work. Your not going to sell them for a year at that price and then increase your price next year. You should price them comparable to your best product. Then raise the price over a few years to make up for the R&D costs. If you aren't into the product for the long term or can't do this, don't start in the first place. It will fail out of the gate. All just my opinion.

Jeff 01-22-2012 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattieK27 (Post 1727235)
Good points. I will definitely take any X1 you can find in immaculate shape for 30k, I haven't seen them close to 30k in the Midwest.

It's been about 1.5 years since I was looking but if I had $32k to spend at the time there was no shortage of nice 5-7 year old SAN 210s and X1s that I could have purchased in the SouthEast.

Txjole 01-23-2012 1:26 AM

Not made by MC, but by an independent dealer.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29 PM.