WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   New law...Wakesurfers must use rope (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788400)

tmb80 06-23-2011 3:30 PM

New law...Wakesurfers must use rope
 
I need help. I have already sent an email to the Indiana DNR and am in the process of contacting all of the local marinas that sell wakeboarding boats. What else can I do? This makes me sick to my stomach. Are there any other states like this?

Ind. watersports to be restricted 7/1
Updated: Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 2:58 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Jun 2011, 2:24 PM EDT

Myra McCain
INDIANAPOLIS (WANE) - The Indiana Department of Natural Resources announced Thursday that starting July 1, a new law will go into effect that will restrict wake boarding/surfing and teak surfing behind certain motorboats.

Teak surfing, or holding onto the swim platform while the boat is underway at any speed including running idle, will become illegal behind all motorboats powered by an inboard, inboard/outboard or outboard engine.

The same law will apply with wake boarding/surfing.

According to DNR Commander, Lt. Gary Whitaker, the new law was proposed after the state saw an increased number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases from teak surfing and propeller injuries from wake surfing.

Whitaker said this new law applies to activities that take place directly behind the boat in the wake where the wake is the means of propulsion to the individual.

Whitaker said if a person is skiing or tubing and is not directly behind the boat and the rope is the means of propulsion, then the law does not apply.

Whitaker also said wake surfing has increased the amount of damage to other vessels due to the fact that the boats are producing huge wakes. Those wakes then crash into boats and piers and end up causing secondary damage.

Violation of the new law could include up to $500 in fines and court costs, which estimate to be around $130

wakeandsnow27 06-23-2011 3:47 PM

WOW...... such a bummer. Even with a huge petition, good luck. Sad to see things like this happen to a great sport.
Hopefully they can alter the law to be limited and protect inboard boats and FAE setups.

inland_surfer 06-23-2011 5:15 PM


Please send this info/issue attn: Larry Meddock at:

WSIA
Headquarters

P.O. Box 568512

Orlando, FL 32856-8512

info@wsia.net

Phone 407-251-9039

Fax 407-251-9039

nailem 06-23-2011 8:08 PM

some one else posted this on CC forum and from what they said it is only illegal behind I/O and outboard boats.

here is what they posted
www.in.gov/le...B/SB0532.2.html

And look at Chapter 13. Motorboat Watersports you will see the actual new law as written and taking effect July 1.

for some reason my link is not working but this is a copy/past
Sec. 3. An individual may not do the following:
(1) Operate a motorboat inboard or have the inboard engine of a motorboat run idle while an individual is holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any
part of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed.
(2) Operate a motorboat powered by an outboard motor or equipped with an outdrive unit while an individual is:
(A) holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed;
(B) swimming, or floating on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway; or
(C) floating on a board on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway using the wake itself as the means of propulsion.
(3) Operate a motorboat with the number of individual riders on a towed device that exceeds the listed capacity on the towed device or the owner's manual.
Sec. 4. An individual who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction.

CarFanatic5 06-24-2011 7:56 AM

wow, this is not good at all.... I"m in ohio... so we could be next... There is no reason for surfing to be banned, its perfectly safe when done behind the right boats.

Chuch 06-24-2011 8:39 AM

We had a few tickets passed out here in VA on Lake Gaston where people were sited for reckless endangerment of a "swimmer" or something of that nature. Havent heard much about it in about two years though. We haven't been heckled about it. They were only writing it when the rider threw the rope in, because at that point you were a "swimmer."

idaho_hillbilly 06-24-2011 9:01 AM

Alright, we have A LOT of wakesurfers on this forum. Who here has ever seen or heard of someone having CO2 poisoning or injured while surfing?

Where do they get these statistics that justify this law? I think the last part of your post gives the source. BIG WAKES. Those old farts that have their million dollar homes on the lake and/or with the 30' cabin cruiser don't like us to make big wakes on THEIR lake. There is a lot of political power ($$$) on the shores of lakes....at least it's that way in Idaho.

CarFanatic5 06-24-2011 9:05 AM

Wakes are no bigger then those cabin cruisers..

V237TX_Nate 06-24-2011 9:44 AM

I would think that the boat manufacturers that our inboard wakeboats lobby against these kind of laws ever being passed. Unfortunately all the money they spend on lobbying will get passed right on to us... so if you dont get slapped with a $150 fine, your gonna get bent over for a few extra grand on your next boat.

And I bet that "DNR Commader" guy is probably one of those people with the million dollar lake houses and 40 foot cabin cruiser who has to rough a couple waves 2 a year when he takes it out.

Texan 06-24-2011 9:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaho_hillbilly (Post 1688386)
Alright, we have A LOT of wakesurfers on this forum. Who here has ever seen or heard of someone having CO2 poisoning or injured while surfing?

Where do they get these statistics that justify this law? I think the last part of your post gives the source. BIG WAKES. Those old farts that have their million dollar homes on the lake and/or with the 30' cabin cruiser don't like us to make big wakes on THEIR lake. There is a lot of political power ($$$) on the shores of lakes....at least it's that way in Idaho.

The "Teak surfing" is where the CO2 deaths come into play. And yes there have been a number of these occur in the last years. In this case, combining the two drastically different activities has allowed them to further enforce the law on wakesurfing.

As to the Big Wakes comment, that is a very reasonable and sound concern. Large wakes in general can cause major erosional and structural issues. However without the proper proof that it is in fact the sport of wakesurfing that is resulting in these large wakes there is a very strong argument against laws like this.

It is not the million dollar homes that are the concern of water authorities, it is there billion dollar dams and flow regulation equipment as well as zoning laws and code that were written not taking into affect the size and frequency of the large waves created by boats that are designed to displace large volumes of water. Erosion being the other major concern wich can result in the silting in and shallowing of lakes, rock slides, and overall unsafe conditions. All of these things bring bad press and costly repairs and preventave measures into play.

As said above, large cabin cruisers displace more water than most wakesurf settups ever could. However some lakes that are not used to these type of waves are ill prepared to deal with the reprocusions. This does not give them any write to simply outlaw the activity in order to cover their ass.

CarFanatic5 06-24-2011 9:57 AM

I hope this doesn't spread to other DNR people, in-essence creating a ban all over... We need to head this off quickly, as wake surfing and teak surfing are completely different... I would be extremely pissed and disappointed if I could no longer wake surf... Especially when it is completely safe.

tmb80 06-24-2011 12:00 PM

Good news. I just spoke with Lary Meddock at WSIA and he confirmed that this law only pertains to outboards and I/O's. Unfortunately there are a lot of misinformed CO's out there that think this law pertains to all boats, as evident by the news paper.

The WSIA was all over this about 2 weeks ago when they originally heard the news of this law being passed. They are in the process of working with the Indiana Boating Law Administrator to get a bulletin psted that let's people know inboards are exempt. He said the whole reason behind this law is to prevent platform dragging (he is trying to get rid of the term "teak surfing" because it sounds fun) which can lead to CO2 poisoning.

idaho_hillbilly 06-24-2011 12:05 PM

What is teak surfing anyways?

I'm just amazed that agencies are passing laws for unproven issues?!?! Are these boat really causing erosion? You know erosion has been happening for thousands of years....that how we get rivers and mountains. :rolleyes: Maybe we should cancel winter because the spring runoff causes too much erosion.

tonyv420 06-24-2011 12:07 PM

The wake from a sacked out wakeboard boat running 22mph causes more damage then a surf boat going 11mph. Surf wake hits the shore at a slower roll. And Surfing with a rope is way more dangerous then surfing with out one.

tonyv420 06-24-2011 12:09 PM

I asume the problem is with the shore taking damage. Boats do not get damaged from rockin back and forth while being tied up. Unless their not properly moored.

CarFanatic5 06-24-2011 12:20 PM

good to hear its just for I\O's and out boards! Sounds like there needs to be some clarification!!!

ilikebeaverandboats 06-24-2011 12:37 PM

Never heard of anyone having serious issues with CO2 while surfing. Sometimes riding with the wind on a breezy day I can smell it a little ( I know co2 has no smell, but you can smell the rest of the exhaust) but never could have gotten to the point of falling asleep.

Ban it for I/O's, that makes sense, its just stupid and dangerous to surf behind one. Its easy to enforce...LOOK at the boat, I know any one of us could tell an inboard vs. I/O or O from across the lake.

vman 06-24-2011 1:23 PM

Anyone else think a unified national Wakesurf Association with dues paying members might be a good idea? So we can protect our sport and prove (if done properly) is safe, environmentally friendly, and by the way, really fun.

CarFanatic5 06-24-2011 1:26 PM

hell yes... something to keep an eye out

idaho_hillbilly 06-24-2011 2:44 PM

Great point on how holding on to the rope makes wakesurfing safer?

If they are worried about injuries, and shoreline erosion then lets ban pulling a tube! They cause more total wakes and issues than surfers.

I would be all for join/creating a wakesurfing association. We need to come together before the morons we elect into office put a stop to our sport. If we don't, we all will have really expensive tube pulling boats. :(

nailem 06-24-2011 3:35 PM

i guess no one read my post 4th one. it says only I/O and out board. i also posted in another thread recently that they just clarified that wakesurfing is fully legal in PA.

rallyart 06-24-2011 5:11 PM

I read your post Rusty. It's the direct language from the bill. Thanks for posting. It seems quite clear. You can surf behind an inboard. Maybe that will even help used inboard prices.

silverlude 06-28-2011 10:40 AM

Knowing the Indiana DNR like I do, they will probably try to enforce this on ANY boat. I understand they are trying to protect people from themselves, unfortunetly Govt thinks they need to legislate everything and make rules that limit our freedoms. ( Yea,and these type of things really makes us Govt. socialized medicine, they seem to run so many things well) I hope this does not spiral out of control and limit our choices of how we use our boats, equipment ect.... It only takes a few rules like this to wipe out a great sport and recreation all over the country. Anyone with any common sense should realize you don't wakesurf behind any boat that the prop is exposed behind the boat. You can't legislate common sense and intelligence, some just learn the hard way.

BlairJ 07-02-2011 9:55 PM

This is how they are interpreting the law in Virginia, even though it says nothing to that effect. Such bull****. We have to sneak around to surf now, harshing my gnar.

SunsetterLXI 09-03-2013 3:01 PM

Rah Rah Rah
 
This can't happen soon enough for me. I am tired of not being able to "SKI" because the water is all messed up and we can't even set on the water because the wakes are rolling over the back of my boat. My friend just had her rotor cuff operated on because she didn't see one of your rollers coming and skied into it.
You guys and gals go forever messing up the water from one end to the other. May be fun for you but I for one am tired of not being able to use my boat and do what I like to do because you are having your fun. They ought to make you get rid of those fat sacks too. Normal wakes I can handle, but you are carrying it too far for my liking.

strev 09-03-2013 3:30 PM

^^^ go cry somewhere else you clown

snork 09-03-2013 3:44 PM

Boo Freak'n whooo SunsetterLXI, might want to get yourself a private lake that have Bylaws and regulations in your favor

Gotmods 09-03-2013 6:13 PM

Excellent first post. Way to jump into a thread...that is over two years old.

Ttime41 09-03-2013 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunsetterLXI (Post 1842808)
This can't happen soon enough for me. I am tired of not being able to "SKI" because the water is all messed up and we can't even set on the water because the wakes are rolling over the back of my boat. My friend just had her rotor cuff operated on because she didn't see one of your rollers coming and skied into it.
You guys and gals go forever messing up the water from one end to the other. May be fun for you but I for one am tired of not being able to use my boat and do what I like to do because you are having your fun. They ought to make you get rid of those fat sacks too. Normal wakes I can handle, but you are carrying it too far for my liking.

Isn't there another forum where you and the 4 other people who still ski can discuss your discontent with boarding/surfing? You're now in the minority sir, especially on a wakeboard forum.

tonyv420 09-03-2013 10:05 PM

This thread is older then dirt! Who is this guy? YOUR ON A WAKESURFING FORUM!!!!!!!

rullery 09-04-2013 8:47 AM

http://i.imgur.com/lGfcSKb.jpg

axxxiswake 09-04-2013 10:05 AM

Get off my lawn

HighWater 09-05-2013 9:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunsetterLXI (Post 1842808)
This can't happen soon enough for me. I am tired of not being able to "SKI" because the water is all messed up and we can't even set on the water because the wakes are rolling over the back of my boat. My friend just had her rotor cuff operated on because she didn't see one of your rollers coming and skied into it.
You guys and gals go forever messing up the water from one end to the other. May be fun for you but I for one am tired of not being able to use my boat and do what I like to do because you are having your fun. They ought to make you get rid of those fat sacks too. Normal wakes I can handle, but you are carrying it too far for my liking.

Your friend should look out for rollers then and not ski into it. How bout dem apples?

HIFLYR 09-05-2013 7:35 PM

As a Supra 24' SSV owner, wakesurfer and lucky waterfront home owner I am here to tell you the idiots of our sport are going to kill it if we do not police our own. I simply cannot tell the number of times my dock gets hit by a 2-3' roller from SOB who surfed by 50' from my dock when there is a whole lake to use. This year one caused my wife to almost break her ankle while trying to hold the boat while my daughter was loading it from the dock, she was out of commission on crutches for 2 summer months. In the state where I live you are responsible for any damage your wake causes and are supposed to stay 300 ft from any dock on speed. We can have fun and respect others also, if we do not the water patrol or courts will do it for us.

redsupralaunch 09-06-2013 6:20 AM

HIFLYER has a good point.

rugbyballa3 09-06-2013 8:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunsetterLXI (Post 1842808)
This can't happen soon enough for me. I am tired of not being able to "SKI" because the water is all messed up and we can't even set on the water because the wakes are rolling over the back of my boat. My friend just had her rotor cuff operated on because she didn't see one of your rollers coming and skied into it.
You guys and gals go forever messing up the water from one end to the other. May be fun for you but I for one am tired of not being able to use my boat and do what I like to do because you are having your fun. They ought to make you get rid of those fat sacks too. Normal wakes I can handle, but you are carrying it too far for my liking.

dude they still have skiers? you must be the last of a dying breed! to me it sounds like you need to learn to adapt. or go out and ski before any of the boarders or surfers get up. thats what the people at my lake do. and i respect that and try not to be on the water before 10 am. noon is normal for me. i can surf in chop. they get the glass in the morning. and as for your friend. she should have been paying attention. not our fault she didnt see it or your spoter didnt let her know. this comes from a guy that runs 4700-6000lbs of ballast. so happy surfing.

rjklein4470 09-06-2013 12:56 PM

we have two boats, one for skiing and the other for the wake activities. I will tell you no matter what industry you are in there are just clueless people out on the lake. With no manners or respect of others.

Personally the tubers are the worst offenders they are like Mom's in mini vans. But I get your point I was out on our boat and some idiot came with in ten feet of my boat pulling a tuber while my daughter was in the water. It took every ounce of self control not to go over and say something to him, but if I did I can assure you it would not have gone over well.

Indywakeboards1 10-01-2013 11:00 PM

roll with it.... if the rope must be 'held onto' then who says what size rope the rope has to be and where you have to 'hold onto it'.....???

it could be dental floss that you are "holding" onto....

supersteve 10-02-2013 8:22 PM

I told yall!!! More laws to come!!

WakeDirt 10-02-2013 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supersteve (Post 1847535)
I told yall!!! More laws to come!!

So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know... That this thread is 3 years old.

strev 10-02-2013 9:59 PM

Supersteve is a CLOWN!!

Gotmods 10-02-2013 10:01 PM

They are like moths flying into an artificial light. Another great 15th post. Despite all the warnings he couldn't be stopped. Love it.

phillywakeboarder 10-03-2013 8:48 AM

I do searches from time to time to keep up with the various wake enhancement device bans that have been enacted across the US. I want to be as prepared as possible should any regulations be proposed in my area. Here's another one from 3 years ago that I just came across today, which bans artificially enhanced wakes in a section of the Milwaukee River.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/ozwash/95287719.html

SurfAK83 04-08-2014 4:12 AM

You all need to move to Alaska where I live... they dont even know what wake surfing is up here. Moving my boat form Oregon this year up here, where there are next to no laws and regulations regarding boating and water sports, compared to OR.

jhartt3 04-08-2014 5:10 AM

and you have to wear a drysuit year round. no thanks.

SurfAK83 04-08-2014 5:52 AM

Classic misconception... Season might be a little shorter, but we get 80's and 90's and the water is warmer than lots of places in Oregon where I grew up. Not to mention you can surf all night long cause it doesn’t get dark. Probably not the first choice in places to live for the sport, but not a lot of laws or pOlice to bother you on the water.

sasky_rider 04-16-2014 1:13 PM

I think if I lived in Indiana I would carry a printed copy of those laws and the bulletin declaring wakeboats exempt... that would hopefully clear up a misconception with a DNR person?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 3:10 AM.