basic maintenance questions
02 Sanger V210 with Mercruiser Mag Motor..
How often should you replace and/or how do you know if:
1. your steering cable needs to be replaced
2. Spark Plugs need to be changed
3. Alternator needs to be replaced?
4. Spark Plug wires need to be replaced?
5. Throttle cable needs to be tightened? replaced?
6. Transmission clutch?
The easy answer is replace those items when they don't function correctly anymore. Generally:
1. 10 years
2. 250 hours
3. 5 years
4. see 2.
5. never. 15 years.
6. No real tranny clutch. There is a dampening plate that is known to go if you normally run a lot of weight that the boat wasn't designed for. You'll know it's toast when the boat just don't go.
1. Just did my steering cable in my 2002 V210, so 8 years. You'll know when it's time.
2. About every 250-300 hours sounds right.
3. When it stops working. Just replaced mine, 8 years, 675 hours.
5. Never / When it breaks.
6. Never / When it breaks.
Are these things that you think are in need of replacement on your boat, or are you just trying to get a handle on maintenance items? I'd add Impeller to the list of things to keep up on.
I like Andys schedule.
How often are you doing your oil? I do 100 hours or every season.
Dave, if you run around 100 hours every season then change your oil at the end of every season. If your boat is going to sit for a few months you should not do that with oil that has very many hours on it. You could change at 50 hours and the end of the seasopn, but I don't.
Isaac, you can leave the plug wires for two plug changes without much problem, usually.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 4:12 PM.|