WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Installing 2nd battery and Perko switch (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=780084)

hoochyglidaa 05-31-2010 2:59 PM

Installing 2nd battery and Perko switch

I've read several posts about having a second battery and Perko switch to keep from draining battery with audio/lights/accessories, etc.

My question is very basic. Which wires do I connect to the Perko switch? And what/where do the wires from the second battery need to be connected to?

Thanks for the help.
Tyler

chris4x4gill2 06-01-2010 5:08 AM

the perko should come with a basic wiring diagram in the packaging. If its the standard Off/ 1/ 2/ 1+2 manual Perko Switch, the positive from the engine (the one on your battery now) goes to the switch and then new positives gor from the switch to each battey.

sdub 06-01-2010 6:56 AM

save yourself the hassle of manually isolating your batteries with that switch and look into installing a ACR (automatic charging relay ). Search battery combiners.

Basically they work by sensing voltage from your boats charging system, open a circuit and allow your boats alt. to charge both the starting and house batterys. When you turn off your boat, the ACR disconnects and isolates the house and starting battery. You can also use with a perko switch so you can manually combine both batteries if you need too, or completely turn off all batts.

99_slaunch 06-01-2010 7:15 AM

On the back side of the perko. You will have a common,1, 2 terminal. Your main power cable(+) will connect to the common terminal. you will then run a cable from terminal one to your current battery (+). For your secon battery you will run a ground from the first battery to the second battery(linking the grounds) Then run a cable from the (+) of the second battery to terminal 2.

chpthril 06-01-2010 7:27 AM

And dont forget the all important ground cable that needs connect the two batteries' ground side.

hoochyglidaa 06-02-2010 6:54 PM

I realize running a ground from batter 2 to battery 1 links the grounds, but doesn't battery 2 still need to be grounded to the engine?

scottnaz 06-02-2010 7:02 PM

Tyler, I've got the main ground from the engine block running to battery #1, then a ground cable from #1 to #2, then the ground legs for the amps and accessories running off #2

99_slaunch 06-02-2010 8:07 PM

^^^What he said and no you do not have to ground #2 to the engine.

chpthril 06-02-2010 8:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoochyglidaa (Post 1592521)
I realize running a ground from batter 2 to battery 1 links the grounds, but doesn't battery 2 still need to be grounded to the engine?

The ground is needed in order to complete the circuit, so it can be either connected to the original battery's ground or the block, which ever is shorter is best.

hoochyglidaa 06-03-2010 7:43 PM

Thanks all, just got the Perko switch online for $35 and installing this weekend.