WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   MINNESOTA...Spring Ride in the works (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784920)

ironj32 11-27-2010 5:40 AM

MINNESOTA...Spring Ride in the works

Well now that it's 10 degrees out, and the lake is nearly completely frozen over it's time to start dreaming about next season!

Just wanted to let you guys know that we're starting to get put things in motion for a Minnesota Spring Ride next season. Everything is still in the very early stages of planning, but I can tell you that there are some big players interested in being involved, and we'll also be working on getting the best water possible for the potential event...trying to get a No Wake Zone put into effect for the day.

I'll let you know more if/when things start to fall into place.

andy_nintzel 11-27-2010 9:18 AM

You know me I am in.

jeff_mn 11-27-2010 9:18 AM

Glorious

andy_nintzel 11-27-2010 2:03 PM

Jay lets connect on this, I would love the be part of the event.

SafetyMike 11-27-2010 6:52 PM

Time to switch over to tramps until it thaws out were do you guys ride in MN

benbuchholz 11-28-2010 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SafetyMike (Post 1647749)
Time to switch over to tramps until it thaws out were do you guys ride in MN

All over, some lakes north of St Cloud, some lakes around Clearwater, Whitefish chain up in brainerd, Willmar area lakes, Briggs/Julia chain by Becker, Maple Grove lakes once in a while. This Spring Ride event has some big potential! Can't wait til spring, but its all snowboarding for now!

tuneman 11-29-2010 6:44 AM

Jay, give me a shout if you need any help. I'd be interested in contributing to the effort.

SafetyMike 11-29-2010 8:18 AM

Ben i got a cabin not far from annandale and im always riding over in st cloud since i go to scsu. Never got into snowboarding and dont have the money to get into atm so just tramps for now unfortunately.

ironj32 11-29-2010 8:26 AM

Andy and Chad - Thanks for the offers on helping out, and I'm sure you'll be taken up on that!

andy_nintzel 11-29-2010 10:57 AM

Jay,

Got an email from Randy Scagliotti, he and Alex would fly in for the even. Also Robby Carter expressed some interest, maybe him and Derek Cook.

flydenrict 11-29-2010 12:27 PM

I'd be in for something like this. I ride a couple times a week on Bryant Lake in EP. Do any of you ever make it there? I dont know too many riders outside of my immediate group but would love to ride with others. one of my friend is big into photos too. definitely keep me updated on how this shapes up

jarrod 11-29-2010 1:44 PM

Jay,

We should try to coordinate on dates to avoid conflicts. I'd hate to see riders have to chose one or the other. I'd also be interested in swapping banners and other cross-advertising.

SafetyMike 11-29-2010 3:01 PM

Jeff not sure if its Bryant lake but I have ridden on a lake over in EP just off 494

ironj32 11-29-2010 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1647909)
Jay,

We should try to coordinate on dates to avoid conflicts. I'd hate to see riders have to chose one or the other. I'd also be interested in swapping banners and other cross-advertising.

Jarrod, good call! Just sent you a message via wakeworld.

snowslider76 11-29-2010 3:41 PM

Yo check your email from our friend in the AZ. Also I reached out to Oakley and was thinking about Birch's too since they are right there. Holar whatever else you want me to do.

ironj32 11-29-2010 4:10 PM

Jason - I got. We'll see what what they say.

andy_nintzel 11-29-2010 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrod (Post 1647909)
Jay,

Obviously everone would choose Minnesota! :D

jeff_mn 11-30-2010 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowslider76 (Post 1647923)
Yo check your email from our friend in the AZ. Also I reached out to Oakley and was thinking about Birch's too since they are right there. Holar whatever else you want me to do.

Does Dawn's ex have any connects that would be worthwhile?

jeff_mn 11-30-2010 6:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydenrict (Post 1647895)
I'd be in for something like this. I ride a couple times a week on Bryant Lake in EP. Do any of you ever make it there? I dont know too many riders outside of my immediate group but would love to ride with others. one of my friend is big into photos too. definitely keep me updated on how this shapes up

Rode Bryant about once every 10 days or so the past few years. Usually when we ride Bryant it's just me and my wife although I've probably shredded Bryant maybe 6 or 7 times with Jason (snowslider76 above)...

The bummer part is the no wake rules on Sundays. Really cuts into getting out time when butter is premium..

Bryant is the closet lake to me (West Richfield/Southwest MPLS) so if you are ever looking for a third - shoot me a PM or an e mail.

11-30-2010 1:38 PM

We will have a few more details toward the end of next week. Big meeting tomorrow Jay, I will call you in the morning, maybe we can go over a few things before we meet with the Red Bull gents.

JTLBP1 11-30-2010 6:50 PM

This sounds pretty awesome, glad to hear Minnesota is finally starting get a big wake scene, let me know if me or any of the lake Bavaria posse can help

ironj32 12-01-2010 4:51 PM

Update - Casey (Correct Craft/Nautique) and I just had a meeting with Red Bull, and things went well. It doesn't mean that they are forsure in, but they seemed pretty stoked in our initial talk, and things are definitely moving forward in the right direction. Right now we're working on securing a location, as well as a date. A vague time frame is late June/early July...wanna make sure we maximize our chances for having good weather and decent water temps, and also work around the pro events. Should have some more updates for you all in the next few weeks.

SafetyMike 12-01-2010 4:57 PM

This sounds sick im stoked already.

jeff_mn 12-07-2010 6:26 AM

If you were half as slick with Redbull as you were with the New Castle keg, you've got that on lock Jay..

;-)

ironj32 12-07-2010 9:03 AM

ha. i stuck to my Jeremiah Weed & Waters all night!

jeff_mn 12-07-2010 9:20 AM

Was referring to the magix sexual advances you put on the keg to get it pouring again

ironj32 12-07-2010 9:25 AM

Alright everyone, we would like to gather some feed back from you all on the type of event to have. Basically, we are looking at two options.

OPTION 1. An "up north" two day event. All of the activities would take place at the resort we stay at. Location would be within 2.5 hours of the metro area, and would probably run anywhere from $70-$150/night for lodging (depends on # of people stay in your room). This would be a two day with an itineray something like this (just a very rough draft):
Friday:
Morning to Early Evening:
*MN Rider Showcase - Just chill out on boats, line them up, and take turns doing like 3 or 4 passess in front of everyone. Ride behind the boat you're hanging out on.

Early Evening until ya hit the sac:
*Grill Out and Lawn Games

Saturday:
Early Morning to Mid Morning:
*MN Rider Showcase: Hanging out taking turns doing a few passes in front of each other. Ride behind whatever boat you're hanging out on.
OR
*MN Riders - Best Trick: Same as set up as MN Rider Showcase except there are judges, and each rider would only get 1 down/back pass to pull off their best trick. You get one fall. This would probably be for either prize $, or prize equipment. Ride behind the SAN 230. ....again this it just initial thoughts, but you get the idea.

Mid Morning to Late Afternoon:
*On Site DJ
*Double Up Contest - Best Trick (Entry Fee required) - Big Prize $
*Double Up Contest - Biggest Trick (Entry Fee required) - Big Prize $

Late Afternoon to Evenening:
*Grill, Hang Out, Yard Games

Late Night:
*Cocktails/DJ/Party

OPTION 2: Local 1 day event. There probably be an onsite DJ, and whatever beverages you wanted to bring on your own ride.
Early Morning to Mid Morning:
*MN Rider Showcase: Hanging out taking turns doing a few passes in front of each other. Ride behind whatever boat you're hanging out on.

Mid Morning to Late Afternoon:
*On Site DJ
*Double Up Contest - Best Trick (Entry Fee required) - Big Prize $
*Double Up Contest - Biggest Trick (Entry Fee required - Big Prize $

Everyone goes their separate ways.

What do you all think? Would you like to have a two day event where you can really get to know and hang out with people, and make a good weekend out of it. OR would you like to have a one day, local, thing? If you could just post back with either Up North or Local that would be easiest to see what you want.

ironj32 12-07-2010 9:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_mn (Post 1649042)
Was referring to the magix sexual advances you put on the keg to get it pouring again

hahahhaa....i totally forgot about that. what can i say, i got the magic touch :D

ironj32 12-07-2010 9:26 AM

i'll start with my opinion:

UP NORTH

ironj32 12-07-2010 9:54 AM

also, if you prefer it to be local...does that mean that you would not come if it were Up North? so, lets go with the following responses:
*UP NORTH
*Local - Will Not Travel
*Local - But Would Still Come Up North

snowslider76 12-07-2010 10:07 AM

up norf

andy_nintzel 12-07-2010 10:11 AM

Local would be best for me personally but I will do whatever.

garveyj 12-07-2010 10:49 AM

Up North

ironj32 12-07-2010 11:02 AM

Steve Pederson sent me a text...he votes Up North

12-07-2010 11:03 AM

Up North for me Jay, but you know that...

Next step, location ideas. Bring them on...

12-07-2010 11:04 AM

P.S. We have the prize money locked down...

rourker 12-07-2010 12:00 PM

UP North.

Make a weekend out of it.

andy_nintzel 12-07-2010 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mmcorrectax (Post 1649073)
P.S. We have the prize money locked down...

Is Colin Ryan's name already on the checks?

tburt_mn 12-07-2010 1:31 PM

Up North

BTW, Thanks for the getting the keg running again Jay.

brycejb328 12-07-2010 3:51 PM

UP NORTH

i think it would get more people 100% committed... too easy too pass on it if it were just a day thing, imo

brycejb328 12-07-2010 3:53 PM

http://www.sugarlakelodge.com/

^I've been here a few times before for work deals... its legit... lets take it over for a weekend.

andy_nintzel 12-07-2010 4:57 PM

I think if you go up North you should spin it somewhere we can rent house boats!

andy_nintzel 12-07-2010 4:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brycejb328 (Post 1649123)

^I've been here a few times before for work deals... its legit... lets take it over for a weekend.

I have gotten wasted at the SUgar Lake lodge Many, Many times. Its stupid fun. My wife is from Grand Rapids, that town is crazy fun!

funkyhomosapien 12-07-2010 6:03 PM

UP North

SafetyMike 12-07-2010 8:07 PM

North

ironj32 12-08-2010 5:37 AM

Sweet, well I'm glad to see that nearly everyone is in agreement. We'll continue to keep things rolling, and will keep you posted. If you have any more ideas for location (specific lakes/resots) feel free to send me an email at jay.fogelson@gmail.com. I have a few potential spots, but would love hear of any other ideas.

Specifically we are looking for a place that:
*Has a "hotel" type building real close to the water (multiple rooms)
*Is in a fairly protected bay
*Not on a super crazy busy lake
*Has a restraunt/bar/ballroom on site
*Water is at least 15ft deep in front of the resort
*No more than 2.5-3 hrs away from the metro

Again, shoot me an email at jay.fogelson@gmail.com, as it will be easiest to keep track of things.

tuneman 12-08-2010 6:53 AM

So, what kind of event are you looking for? From a pure fun standpoint, the up north option is by far the best option. My guess is that you would get a good 20+ riders and one hell of a party. But if you have it in the cities, you'll probably get three or more times the riders and a lot more interested sponsors. So smaller, have fun, party scene, or full on wakeboarding event? The Twin Cities River Rats site on the Mississippi is a great spot for a full on event.

My vote wants to be Up North, but in reality, it's local. I already have too many watersports events in the works.

BTW, hold off on putting Colin Ryan's name on the checks. Since my back has finally informed me that I can no longer kneeboard, I'm gonna try going to the dark side and give Mr. Ryan some competition:rolleyes: Now I just gotta figure out that standing sideways thingy.:D

jeff_mn 12-08-2010 8:32 AM

My sister-in-laws parents own this place in Alexandria.

Geneva Beach Resort on Lake Geneva

If anyone looks it over and thinks it could be a place they want to look into - I can arrange a call or meeting with the owners.

ironj32 12-08-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff_mn (Post 1649224)
My sister-in-laws parents own this place in Alexandria.

Geneva Beach Resort on Lake Geneva

If anyone looks it over and thinks it could be a place they want to look into - I can arrange a call or meeting with the owners.

Jeff, sent you an email.

jeff_mn 12-08-2010 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironj32 (Post 1649247)
Jeff, sent you an email.

e mailed you back and e mailed the resort.

will update when I know more.

flydenrict 12-08-2010 11:29 AM

North. I agree that if it is at a location you will get more commitment, but would lose out on size/potential sponsors. I am looking forward to a day(s) of a couple sets behind nice boats with fun people. As long as that happens i would be happy. Side note: I know for a fact that i would not compete in any type of best trick or double up contest. if i'm just looking for a couple sets, can that happen?

tburt_mn 12-08-2010 12:06 PM

What about the St. Croix south of the cities (Prescott or Hastings)? I don't know much about the river but it seems it would satisfy both issues. Its close enough for certain people and/or sponsors to make it a day trip, while offering plenty of camping and lodging as well. I don't know of any particular places, just thought I'd see what people thought. Also, I saw online that Beanies on the St. Croix rents houseboats. I have never ridden on the river so I don't know about the riding, but thought I'd bring it up.

jeff_mn 12-08-2010 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tburt_mn (Post 1649275)
What about the St. Croix south of the cities (Prescott or Hastings)? I don't know much about the river but it seems it would satisfy both issues. Its close enough for certain people and/or sponsors to make it a day trip, while offering plenty of camping and lodging as well. I don't know of any particular places, just thought I'd see what people thought. Also, I saw online that Beanies on the St. Croix rents houseboats. I have never ridden on the river so I don't know about the riding, but thought I'd bring it up.

Tommy B - the big issues with that is that it's nearly impossible to find water or a line on the river on a Saturday.. Not many bays or fingers to ride so you have to get pretty far south of town where the traffic slows down.. Down by hastings you still get a lot of transient day trip/weekend traffic..

That's not to say that another river wouldn't be a good idea - the Croix/Miss are just typically real busy with big rigs..

Sounds like Jay might have a location dialed anyways.

ironj32 12-08-2010 1:34 PM

Jeff S - Yes you'll be able to take sets and not have to be in any competition.

Tom - The river would be tough...you'd have to deal with current and it'd be real hard to float and stay in one spot. Plus the traffic, barges, and big cruisers will ruin the water.

I've got a few places in the North that will probably work out, just want to get any other suggestions that you guys might have. Keep the ideas coming!

JTLBP1 12-08-2010 4:23 PM

I like the idea of the two day event, up north or where ever it may be. but I am also down for the local event as well, I really like the idea of the d-up contest!!!

snowboardcorey 12-09-2010 10:14 AM

There's (at least there used to be) a semi private lake in Alexandria with Camping around it and a big field to park in. I remember it being next to a barn and having a ski jump on it. Lake Laura maybe. The camping was kind of first come first served as its not an actual camping area but it was tons of fun.

rourker 12-16-2010 6:49 AM

Sugar Lake Lodge- Been there for work events. Great spot nice accomodations with different bays that might work well for riding.

ironj32 12-20-2010 10:14 AM

Thought you all would like another update.

I've been conversing with the owner of a resort up on Northern Minnesota (about 45 minutes East of Brainerd/60 minutes West of Duluth). He is super eager to hold an event there, and is willing to do whatever it takes to make it happen for us. The layout seems to be ideal. It's right on the water w/ Lodge (18 hotel rooms @ $70-$110/night), as well as a bunch of townhouses (3-4 rooms each @ $325/night), has a private launch, 28 slips, bar/restraunt on site, and a banquet room. I just got word this morning that we have the Sheriff on our side will be allowed to have a No Wake Zone to be put in to effect for the event.

Becca and I will be heading up there on January 7th to check the place out, and look things over. If that goes well, we should have our location locked down. I'll let you know more as things fall into place.

snowboardcorey 12-20-2010 11:22 AM

BOSS!!! My bro in law has a place on Lake Roosevelt, is the resort anywhere around there?

ironj32 12-20-2010 1:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowboardcorey (Post 1650782)
BOSS!!! My bro in law has a place on Lake Roosevelt, is the resort anywhere around there?

Is your Lake Roosevelt just North of Lake Winnebigoshish? If so, I'd say your bro-in-law is about 2 hr 45 NW of the site. The site I'm talking about is near McGregor.

snowboardcorey 12-20-2010 2:00 PM

Nope, its just north of Emily about 40 miles from McGregor. Is the resort on Big Sandy? I know a guy with a cabin there too. The lake is dope, the water is super brown from all the minerals in the soil but all around a great place to ride.

rawB 12-27-2010 4:53 PM

Would both local and up north an option for the event? Otherwise let me know when I can make a reservation up north.

ironj32 12-28-2010 8:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawB (Post 1651540)
Would both local and up north an option for the event? Otherwise let me know when I can make a reservation up north.

We've decided to pursue the up North option. I'm meeting with the resort owner in a week and a half, and should have things nailed down shortly after.

andy_nintzel 12-28-2010 11:34 AM

Jay-

I was up in Grand Rapids Last weekend. Turns out my In-Laws know the owners of the Sugar Lake Lodge Really well so if things dont work out as expect at the resort you have in Mind lemme know.

01-08-2011 12:59 PM

We are going to go with Big Sandy Lake Lodge on June 10-11. Everyone start getting ready, intitial prize money at $1,500 for biggest air and $1,500 for best trick, and that is just from MarineMax, media pack will be available next week.

Send me an email at casey.smith@marinemax.com if you would like materials sent out.

ironj32 01-08-2011 4:45 PM

Yeppers. Becca and I were just up there last night/this morning and met with the owner. The place is pretty sick. The set up is pretty much perfect. Prices will be very reasonable. The exact pricing details are still being worked out, but I believe we'll start booking rooms within the next week or so. More to come.....

jeff_mn 01-09-2011 9:37 AM

I turn 30 on the 11th.

Perfect birthday weekend.

In.

Let me know when we can start booking.

rourker 01-09-2011 8:45 PM

Yes......and so the story begins.

jeff_mn 01-10-2011 7:19 PM

To my crew (you know who you are) - Jay said they are getting some cabins/townhouses so with room for 12-16 people but they will be limited so let's jump on that right away and have a re-do of Burtons cabin this summer... As soon as someone gets the word from Jay - grab a townhouse for our team..

I turn 30 that Saturday and we'll leave little homey in the cities and get retarded.

rourker 01-10-2011 7:34 PM

I hear that....on it!

Jay- Let us know when we are good to go w/ rates or whatever is still cooking w/ the resort. Thanks man.

ironj32 01-11-2011 1:02 PM

Right now we're just getting the prices and reservation procedure all set. Hang tight while we get it all squared away. We should have the green light in a few days.

I can tell you what will be available so you can start thinking of what will suit you best.

*There will be about 5 Townhome Units available, each can hold approx 15-18 people. The base price includes up to 8 people. There is an additional charge for each person over #8.
*There will be about 7 Cabins available, each can hold approx 15-18 people. The base price includes up to 8 people. There is an additional charge for each person over #8.
*There will be 18 Lodge (hotel rooms) available. These are your typical sized hotel rooms, with standard bed size options.

Again, just hold tight on calling for reservations. We'll be set to start shortly.

richmondrider 01-11-2011 3:03 PM

I am definitely going to make it to this event but I know my crew, or what’s left of my crew, is not going to make it.

So….if anyone needs another body to fill up a townhome or cabin, let me know! Thanks!

ironj32 01-11-2011 4:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmondrider (Post 1653986)
I am definitely going to make it to this event but I know my crew, or what’s left of my crew, is not going to make it.

So….if anyone needs another body to fill up a townhome or cabin, let me know! Thanks!

Good to hear your planning on attending. Don't let the lack of your "crew" being there discourage you. This goes for everyone. There will be plenty of people to meet, hang with, and boats to ride behind. The hotel rooms will be very reasonably priced. Some as cheap as $69/night (maybe less, which is why we're holding off on the reservations).

lives2wake 01-11-2011 6:42 PM

Pretty sure you would get a couple crews coming from Manitoba.

ironj32 01-12-2011 4:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lives2wake (Post 1654048)
Pretty sure you would get a couple crews coming from Manitoba.

That's awesome Justin! It's 2 hours North of the metro, so hopefully the traveling won't be two bad.

flydenrict 01-26-2011 7:25 AM

So i've told a couple friends who are not on wakeworld about this and they are super pumped about it. One of them who usually shoots pics and videos of us is excited about putting a little crew together and making a really good edit of the weekend. I know tons of people will have cameras and will be taking shots/videos, but is there anyone out there who has a mini film crew already? I think it'd be sick to have an "official film crew" of a handful of people with equipment that all collaborate on a video of the weekend. Thoughts?

flydenrict 01-26-2011 7:26 AM

also, i know the answer is "the sooner the better" but is there a deadline to booking a room?

garveyj 01-26-2011 9:40 AM

I would be willing to help put a video together. I hope that Ryan Taylor will be coming to the event - he should be able to get some sick footage too.

I will be up there with my HD camcorder and my DSLR. Maybe have a gopro by then too.

ironj32 01-26-2011 10:14 AM

Jeff S and Jeff Garvey. I'd love it if you guys would be willing to do some filming up there. I've spoken with Ryan, and if anything, he will be shooting still photos. Actually one of our options for judging the "biggest" trick contest is to count frames, which would require one person to video the entire contest and then edit it. I've never done it before, but I believe you'd need a wicked fast video camera.

If anyone knows of someone willing to do that, it would be awesome!

Otherwise, I think having a video crew would be sick.

ironj32 01-26-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flydenrict (Post 1656789)
also, i know the answer is "the sooner the better" but is there a deadline to booking a room?

The rooms are first come first serve. They are holding the entire resort a few more weeks for us, and then they will open up the reservation line to any and everyone. I'd recommend calling and reserving rooms asap.

The more reserved rooms we have shows proof to the resort and potential sponsors that there is a lot of interest in the event, thus making it easier for us to collect more prize money and door prizes.

To make a reservation call 218-426-5040 and say that your with the wakeboard event.