WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   This kid came out on my boat and said he was semi pro......? Video included! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799576)

gdwake 08-16-2013 8:49 AM

This kid came out on my boat and said he was semi pro......? Video included!

So I get to the lake with a few of my friends and we start to unload the boat into the water when this kid comes up to us and asks if he can get a pull. We said, "sure as long as you're willing to give gas money." Anyways we end up finding out that this kid is semi-pro and he talks about a few different competitions he competed in. Not sure if I believe him, considering this video was his best trick...? And he barely even lands it. Thoughts?

P.s my little brother posted this video (obviously not the best rick in the world)

heres the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da4GqEIUbH4

dvsone79 08-16-2013 9:08 AM

That fist pump at the end is on a semi-pro level. Legit.

seth 08-16-2013 9:35 AM

Jackie Moon approved.

skiboarder 08-16-2013 9:36 AM

Maybe he was a professional in another field--like a professional BMX Freestyler. That would explain the helmet.

brian_young 08-16-2013 9:48 AM

We have one of those on our lake , claims to be a sponsored pro. He should be old enough to know better.

dirwoody 08-16-2013 10:55 AM

And I thought my scarecrows got sketchy.............

sidekicknicholas 08-16-2013 11:06 AM

Welp, if we're using that guy as a baseline for "semi-pro" .... I think I'll start calling myself Chief Supreme Pro of Wakeboarding

cwb4me 08-16-2013 12:39 PM

Got to give him credit to be able to hang on at the end. But that's definitely not enough video for me to make a decision.

FunkyBunch 08-16-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_young (Post 1839418)
We have one of those on our lake , claims to be a sponsored pro. He should be old enough to know better.

Brian

Going to need you to share... I just need to know about this.

brian_young 08-16-2013 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyBunch (Post 1839460)
Brian

Going to need you to share... I just need to know about this.

I'll have to tell you off line. I don't want to get any keyboard commandos worked up.

FunkyBunch 08-16-2013 1:28 PM

No problem understood

hawkeye7708 08-16-2013 3:12 PM

This is actually the first time I've ever heard anybody in wake being a "semi-pro"

taylorfredrickson 08-16-2013 4:07 PM

Semi pro goon rider maybe

NATE1979 08-16-2013 5:58 PM

Despite what he said, I would have let go of the handle at least three times on that landing.

simplej 08-16-2013 7:00 PM

Probably has a few hookit sponsors.

sppeders 08-16-2013 8:33 PM

I see a kid who is proud of his riding but hasn't matured to the point where he knows how to express it.

I applaud him for having the balls to ask you to take him out.... Also, good for you for taking him out.

gdwake 08-16-2013 10:27 PM

Thanks for all the comments. Haha yeah its was definitely a sketchy landing, he seemed to have quite a few of those! But he was a super nice kid and did give $20 for gas. If I see him again I ll definitely do some more questioning to get more details to see if he's for real. I wouldn't really know what to ask though? He said he's always on the dock looking for a pull so I'm sure I'll see him in the next few weeks. Anyone else ever encounter a similar situation...? stories..? brian, mark what are you guys saying ha? And yeah I do give him serious props for holding on.

ralph 08-16-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdwake (Post 1839537)
Anyone else ever encounter a similar situation?

No, never ever heard of any kid talk themselves up before....

I'd cut him some slack tho, if he pays his way and is fun to have around, why not hook him up? Doesn't really matter if he is sponsored or not

Dustfarter 08-16-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sppeders (Post 1839531)
I see a kid who is proud of his riding but hasn't matured to the point where he knows how to express it.

I applaud him for having the balls to ask you to take him out.... Also, good for you for taking him out.

+1

adam_balon 08-16-2013 11:16 PM

semipro colon cleanse team.

pprior 08-17-2013 6:51 AM

Semi-colon?

gdwake 08-17-2013 7:00 PM

That's true, maybe I ll see him tomorrow. He said he's usually out there on Sundays so hopefully I ll see him again and ask him to really show me what he can do. If I see him again I ll post footage if I think its worth it!

NATE1979 08-17-2013 8:16 PM

He seems to have the balls to go big. Keep pulling him and watch him progress. Imagine where he might be if he had a boat.

gene3x 08-19-2013 4:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_young (Post 1839469)
I'll have to tell you off line. I don't want to get any keyboard commandos worked up.

Hey yall stop doggin on me I am semi pro because I said so! :D

Seriously though Brian, don't be a pussy. If you can't be tough online where can you be tough? :rolleyes:

ilikebeaverandboats 08-19-2013 6:04 PM

im a professional tuna wrangler.

brian_young 08-19-2013 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gene3x (Post 1839986)
Hey yall stop doggin on me I am semi pro because I said so! :D

Seriously though Brian, don't be a pussy. If you can't be tough online where can you be tough? :rolleyes:

You got me Gene, I was referring to you. Like I said, you are OLD enough to know better.

Cpark 08-20-2013 4:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvsone79 (Post 1839408)
that fist pump at the end is on a semi-pro level. Legit.

😂😂😂😂😂

machloosy 08-20-2013 6:12 AM

He is willing to go big, threw down for gas, and sounds like he's chill. I say who cares. Just sounds young and immature, but will likely grow up a lot with some solid examples like y'all to hang with

FunkyBunch 08-20-2013 7:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_young (Post 1840012)
You got me Gene, I was referring to you. Like I said, you are OLD enough to know better.

:D:D:D That is awesome right there.

jeff_mn 08-20-2013 11:16 AM

"Semi-Pro" can mean a lot of things..

When you are 17 like he looks like he is - "Semi Pro" could mean that he's competed in a few local teen shows and a local board shop kicked him some sunnies and boardies to pump their brand..

I wouldn't sweat this too hard.. Its not like he's claiming to be a Vietnam vet.

skiboarder 08-20-2013 11:23 AM

I tried to make a silly comment earlier. But the truth is that is is a young guy that is stoked on his riding. He might be a little overhyped about his skills, but he chipped in gas money and as long as he keeps riding he will only get better.

08-20-2013 1:50 PM

We have guys that will through that scarecrow as a warm-up trick and they are just weekend warriors that rarely even talk about boarding. I would prefer somebody who is very modest and will let their riding do the talking.

Gas money or not, I get annoyed with my buddies who rave about their boarding skills when they are just novice at best. I HATE though, when those same people will rag on beginners who are just learning to jump, yelling at them to get off the water, etc. Its an embarrassment to our crew. They don't get the phone call to ride anymore.

The kid probably just needs to mature or get a one-on-one experience with a real pro behind the boat. BTW, a scarecrow is one of the easier, stepping-stone, inverts to do.

NATE1979 08-20-2013 3:21 PM

So you hate guys who brag, but you explain why by bragging on "your crew"?

As the authority on pro-ness, why did you post a video edit of a few tricks "of your bro" that you call "basic", and then refer to yourself as a pro boat driver?

The difference here is this kids video was posted without him knowing. He wasn't pretending, he was riding.

gene3x 08-21-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian_young (Post 1840012)

I thought so....... :D Hahahahaha.....

captain_vilfo 08-21-2013 1:11 PM

I don't get how weekend warriors who never ride can throw scarecrows as a warm up trick but i ride almost everyday and I still suck..

08-21-2013 5:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NATE1979 (Post 1840211)
So you hate guys who brag, but you explain why by bragging on "your crew"?

As the authority on pro-ness, why did you post a video edit of a few tricks "of your bro" that you call "basic", and then refer to yourself as a pro boat driver?

The difference here is this kids video was posted without him knowing. He wasn't pretending, he was riding.

Me being a pro-driver was sarcasm as I barely ride anymore and enjoying seeing my bro progress just as much as every beginner i've taken out on the water. Yes, ill brag about my bro because Im pumped for him.

Although, I am shocked that people on here will critique everything people say or post in other threads and reference them in new threads.

cwb4me 08-21-2013 6:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kx250frider617 (Post 1840437)
Me being a pro-driver was sarcasm as I barely ride anymore and enjoying seeing my bro progress just as much as every beginner i've taken out on the water. Yes, ill brag about my bro because Im pumped for him.

Although, I am shocked that people on here will critique everything people say or post in other threads and reference them in new threads.

Welcome to Wakeworld. Where anything you say will be used against you.Just ask a Lawyer.;)

rplogue7 08-22-2013 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kx250frider617 (Post 1840437)

I find that to be overly true, haha. And I'm 16, if this kid is 17 and is doing scarecrows he could definitely compete with that and do okay, not sure what semi-pro is.. What is this thread even going to accomplish haha

08-22-2013 6:03 AM

Its been said already that the young man certainly has the motivation to ride and the outward personality to ask (hopefully he did pay for fuel) . Think how may people you know on your boat that you invite and yet don't offer to offset ANY expenses whatsoever. I have sympathy for him as to have the burning desire to participate in an activity that takes something (ie boat) that you don't have or the means/ support system (family) to help you live the dream is rather depressing.
So who cares if he is semi-pro, pro, amateur, spode, etc. I like and respect his desire to at least ask for a pull!!!!!! The worst anyone could say is no..........

simplej 08-22-2013 7:23 AM

Wakeworld is straight getting trolled.

petrie141 08-22-2013 10:31 AM

http://www.themoviemind.com/wp-conte...06/semipro.jpg

ers906 08-22-2013 10:34 AM

I took the OPs post to be mostly tongue in cheek. I don't think he truly believed that the kid was semipro, or anything else. He had an amusing comment with a video of the kid and posted it for fun. Not sure where things took an ugly turn on the comments

08-23-2013 4:01 AM

The ugly turn started when he posted here on Wakeworld. Once posted it is game on as it appears!! I still like the video.....