WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Opinions on Xterra or Frontier (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749612)

kcrider 12-01-2009 12:32 PM

I was wondering what the opinions are of the Nissan Xterra or the Frontier as a tow vehicle. I don't have a boat yet but since I will be getting one soon I will need a vehicle to tow it obviously. I don't really want a full size truck if I don't need it. I really like these two vehicles. Just some thoughts would be great.

clotus 12-01-2009 12:44 PM

I used to tow my 19' four winns with an 06 fronty extended cab. It is rated at 6500 and did the job fairly well. You aren't going to win any races but will get the job done. One thing I noticed was every time I went to the lake I wish I had more room for people and gear. Also, I average approx 17 mpg (city/highway mix). You will see the same mpg with a fullsize chevy with the 5.3L. If I were to do it over I would def get the fullsize. However, the frontier will tow. Oh yeah the xterra is the same frame as the frontier, but heavier so it is only rated at 5000lbs tow rating (at least when I was looking). my 2 cents.

you_da_man 12-01-2009 7:50 PM

Wind noise from the rack on the Xterra. My boss has one and I can't stand to ride in it on the interstate/hwy <BR> <BR>(Message edited by you_da_man on December 01, 2009)

dru1974 12-01-2009 8:02 PM

I just sold my wifes xterra to my brother inlaw...it had 25000 miles on it. couldn't drive far in it. I am 6'3" and fracturecd my knee when I was going through a slalom course years ago. <BR> The way I was forced to sit in the exterra it was painfull for my knee. <BR> <BR> <BR> We are going to buy a murano and use it and my dodge 2500 hd to pull our boat

dhcomp 12-01-2009 8:04 PM

Get a full size. Smaller will do the job, but not comfortably or w/o excessive wear and tear.

johnsvt 12-02-2009 4:27 AM

Xterra and Frontier can do the job, but it depends on how big of a boat/heavy of a boat you want to tow.

antoddio 12-02-2009 8:34 AM

I think the Xterra rides like crap, you feel every bump, but some people might not care. Check out an 03-09 4runner with the V8. 7K of towing will do just about any boat, and I have been amazed by the vehicle. Gas mileage is decent considering. I don't think the new 2010's have the V8 option anymore though.

jeff_mn 12-02-2009 8:52 AM

I pull my Moomba with my 03' Pathfinder. Gets the job done - isn't ideal. <BR> <BR>I'd go bigger if you tow a lot. The NEW Pathfinder with the V8 would do a better job. But the Xterra isn't the "ideal" set up by any stretch. It's essentially the same as my Path.

denverd1 12-04-2009 3:14 PM

i like todd's advice. Go sport Runner. Or let someone else take the hit on depreciation and buy a low miles pre owned.

lifetimewarranty 12-04-2009 6:31 PM

Drew - You are killing me over here. I almost died laughing when I read that you were going to pull your boat with a Murano. <BR> <BR>Isn't their towing capacity like 3500lbs!?

jimmy_z 12-04-2009 8:19 PM

Agree with lifetime..... <BR> <BR>The CVT transmission in the Murano has problems without towing anything. <BR> <BR>Not a good vehicle to tow with.