WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through December 15, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=655460)
-   -   towable boat covers (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643166)

davidggriffith 11-07-2008 7:08 PM

does anybody know which company makes the cover mc just wandering if they can make for a sanger <BR>thanks

kneeboarder8806 11-07-2008 11:16 PM

you could try covercraft. from what i hear they are one of the best cover makers out there

insuranceman 11-08-2008 5:39 AM

covercraft is now evolution covers fyi <BR> <BR>excellent covers

h2oboy 11-08-2008 12:35 PM

MC's covers are made by a company called Apex. <BR>#865-458-8828

4x4chevyguy 11-08-2008 12:52 PM

West land covers are the one that make one for your boat. and hpb in california

polarbill 11-08-2008 1:18 PM

Definitely call cory at Evolution. He makes a great cover.

jaybee 11-08-2008 2:11 PM

Is there such a thing? No one has said this company makes a good towable cover, just they make good covers. i was under the impression that towing with a cover was never a good thing. Am I wrong?

ksilva 11-08-2008 4:14 PM

^^^^ I herd it's like sand paper at the gel coat... You wont notice anything at first, but over time you will see the wear and tear from towing with the cover... I like rather close to the lake, about 45 mins... I don't tow with cover.

rmack 11-09-2008 7:24 AM

Evolution cover is the way to go. Cory is very good and his service is great. This is a towable cover, no poles only tention. I only tow with the cover on when it's raining or looks like rain.

moon 11-10-2008 6:48 AM

I agree with lil tuna. I actually bought my Evolution cover from Cory several months ago. He didn't have a template for my MB 220v so I took a one day trip over to Western WA. Dropped the boat off at noon on a rainy Saturday and he called me the next day around the same time saying all done.

bill_airjunky 11-10-2008 9:41 AM

Probably depends on the type of cover &amp; how often you tow with it on as to whether or not it will cause any gel coat damage. <BR> <BR>I have the Rankin (similar to Evolution) and the price for towing over Snowqualmie Pass without a cover would be filth in every nook &amp; cranny in the boat. I tow with the cover securely in place &amp; the interior arrives in great condition. The outside may still need to be cleaned up but that a lot easier. <BR> <BR>I did the dame thing with my old boat for 7 years &amp; never had gel coat problems. <BR> <BR>If 45 min. from the lake is "rather close", I live ridiculously close to the lake as it's a block away from my place. We tow the whole way with the cover on.

pdxWAKE.com 11-10-2008 9:51 AM

Any cover might make little blemishes in your gel coat where it rubs, but they are very easy to buff out. I typically tow with the cover off, but if it is rainy I will put it on. I have towed 1200 miles one way with them on and very little marking and just buff out. I have used Rankin (similar to evolution) and others and same result... <BR>Short disctances you will not notice anything at all...

hatepain 11-10-2008 11:22 AM

I tow with it on when I have to go long distances but I put blue painters tape on the areas that can get scratches.

phenom_1819 11-10-2008 12:25 PM

And the MC covers are made out of the Sharkskin fabric. I probably tow my boat about 3,000 miles per year, almost entirely with the cover on -- and I've towed with both the stock Sharkskin-type cover and an aftermarket Rankin cover made of Sunbrella fabric. <BR> <BR>In my experience, both will scratch the gelcoat, but the Sunbrella covers won't sctach as bad as the Sharkskin. If you CRANK down on the Rankin covers (as they are designed), I've found the scratching to be minimal as the cover fits very tight and snug to the boat, with reinforcements at the main contact points. The sharkskin covers are not as durable, don't fit as snug, and are more abrasive. But still... the scratching is not as bad as many make it sound. <BR> <BR>You should consider durability too. Sharkskin is very lightweight, and I coudn't see a Sharkskin cover lasting more than 3-4 years towing as much as I do. My Rankin cover should last more like 8-10+ years (my last boat had an 8-year-old Rankin on it when I sold it, still in good condition). My Sharkskin has already been re-stitched once across the windshield, and it's only one year old. <BR> <BR>But... If you wax your boat regularly and give it a good hard polish once per year, you'll be fine with either.

pwningjr 11-11-2008 4:23 PM

Anyone know how bad a a canvas cover will scratch up the gel over time? We usually tow with it on our 2001 and I haven't noticed any scratches yet.

phenom_1819 11-11-2008 4:38 PM

Dan, your boat in the profile pic is BEAUTIFUL...! Depends on what you mean by canvas -- I think that you might be referring to Sunbrella fabric, which is heavy-duty like canvas. Who makes the cover and is it designed for towing? How the cover fits is even more important -- it has to fit very snug to the boat to keep from flapping... you'll develop surface scratches wherever the cover is able to move. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by phenom_1819 on November 11, 2008)

polarbill 11-11-2008 6:39 PM

Dan, even if your boat doesn't get scratches from the cover, the cover will damage the clear coat on the deck. My dad's friend had a 83 mastercraft for 20 years and he actually had to have the clear resprayed at some point.

davidggriffith 11-11-2008 8:04 PM

does anybody know who the sanger dealer in seattle wa cory at evolution covers dosen't have a pattern for my boat i live to far to take it to him

tanner 11-11-2008 10:22 PM

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here... but Brett MOST the boats we're dealing with here don't have a clear! (thats not saying there's not a rare exception). <BR> <BR>That's part of the reason we can patch the gel so easily.

polarbill 11-12-2008 7:40 AM

My dad's older mastercraft had clear sprayed on before the color. Either way it is going to the gel and screw it up. <BR> <BR>There is no Sanger dealer in Seattle. It is 2 hours south of us. There aren't a lot of sanger in this area.

polarbill 11-12-2008 7:43 AM

Hate that posted above lives north of Seattle by 45 minutes or so. He has a V215. Maybe he would be willing to let Cory come measure his boat.

gwnkids 11-12-2008 1:01 PM

I have a black stripe where my cover touches the side of the boat, I drive in a very dusty area (Mohave desert) so I cover the whole 500 mile round trip to have a clean interior when I get there. <BR> <BR>The only thing that has worked for me is 24" shrink rap. I make 2 passes around the boat 6" below the rub rail and over the gunwale then but the cover on tight. When I get to the lake take off the cover roll up the plastic throw it away and all is good.