WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   sub ????s (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796115)

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 7:27 PM

sub ????s

i was just wondering what are some really good subs thats compariable to some high end subs. i guess what im wanting to say, what are some really good subs for the money. just seems like ive been on a few boats this year and some to be running really cheap line subs and amps and the boat will just pound and ive been on some that have the best that money can buy and their not much better if any. i have the jl 10w5s in my boat 4 of them in sealed boxs with 2 600/4 jl amps running them and they do pretty well. but i want alot more, a whole lot more. would going to ported boxes make that much difference?

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 7:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
set up

chpthril 11-05-2012 7:43 PM

Are they all infinite-baffle or in sealed enclosures?

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 7:48 PM

sealed enclosurs and they are each bridged on my amps so they should be getting around 300 watts rms on the jl hd600/4

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 7:52 PM

i dont mind spending the money on different subs and amps, i really dont have a sub pref. but i will stick with the jl amps. i dont know if i should just pull the trigger on some wetsounds xxx or just go with some 10w7s or something else. just want the biggest bang for the buck and something that can take a beating. my stereo usually plays at party cove for 5 to 8 hours at a time wide open. so far my wetsounds rev10s and 410 have held up and my jl amps, so i want my subs to do the same

chpthril 11-05-2012 7:54 PM

The only W5 info I can dig up is for a discontinued W5 that is not recommended for a sealed. Is this your sub?

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1317790424

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 8:01 PM

im pretty sure they are these http://www.jlaudio.com/m10w5-sg-tb-m...-drivers-91737

chpthril 11-05-2012 8:10 PM

Yeah, the "M" makes a huge difference and the "S" goes along the a G and stands more Sport grill :D . They're getting plenty of power, so if the amp settings are right and enclosure volume is close, then you are getting all they will give. Are you looking for louder, more output, deeper bass, etc? Those subs are well built and will take some hammering, they just may not be what you need.

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 8:18 PM

all of the above! i want alot louder! plan on ordering 6 of the wetsounds 8 inch interior speakers and using my 2 600/4 jl amps that im using for my subs now on the new wetsound inside speakers. so now i wana pick out new subs and jl amps to run. but i dont wana be a fool and order a 800.00 sub when i can get what i want from a 400.00 sub. this is about the 5th time ive redone the stereo in this boat and im sick of rebuying stuff. ready to just get where i want it and be done.

Elliottsx80 11-05-2012 8:22 PM

and should i run ported or not, and if i should mount the speaker through a hole cut in the boat or should i have a box built and cut the hole to the box???? heard so many different ways

david_e_m 11-06-2012 5:06 AM

Four of those same woofers compound loaded, in a tight pattern, in the same location, with the same orientation would be a night and day difference. Multiple woofers in multiple locations with different orientation, just are not ever going to be the same. It's tough when the holes are already cut and you are committed to a previous scheme.
There are a few basics that will determine output. Surface area. Power. Enclosure type. Sealed will maintain control over infinite baffle under higher excursions. Bass-reflex (ported) will deliver an extra 3 dB output over sealed in a conservative SQ alignment or more in a peaky alignment. Bandpass will deliver 6 dB more output over sealed in a conservative and more linear alignment, even more if you choose to go the peak route.
When you go with larger woofers and larger enclosures you start having to conceal these in seating and helm consoles. So you lose some of the impact and SQ of direct radiating speakers. Venting the compartments with lots of surface area helps.
Woofers (raw drivers) are similar to enclosures in that you can select a wider and more linear bandwidth or more output over a narrower bandwidth. The output of the same size and comparable structure of woofer, brand to brand and model to model, is essentially the same but just displaced in one aspect or another. None cheat physics as many would suggest. Every extreme improvement in one attribute results in other trade-offs. Again, none cheat physics. You have to define what you want.

Here is one of the most impressive things we have done to date in a similar situation. We used two JL Audio 10W6 subs in independent bandpass enclosures that were compound loaded in more of a wider bandwidth SQ alignment. The side by side ports were external to the enclosures so the ports also served as a duct to get direct radiation into the open boat and completely sealed the bass radiation off from the compartment interiors. Zero losses. Zero phase issues. Zero filtering. It was complex design and build but it crushed a 15" SPL sub in a direct radiating bass-reflex enclosure. Two 12s or two 13.5s in the same configuration would have been enough to make you sick had there been the available space.

David
Earmark Marine

DealsGapCobra 11-06-2012 5:18 AM

David,

I just wanted to thank you for your responses to so many questions. I have learned a lot from your replies.

Elliottsx80 11-06-2012 1:11 PM

i can have the wholes fixed im not worried about that, so what are you saying exactly dave i need to mount the subs closer together. like two on one side and two on the other. should i keep them firing out towards each other, down, up, ported sealed. i just have a problem of my in boats and tower just over powering my subs. so i thought i would spend the money this winter and re do the subs. just looking for all the bass i can get

david_e_m 11-06-2012 3:27 PM

If you are not having to live with the past placement then the priorities would begin with very close together, all on the same side of the boat, all oriented the same, and all on the same plane IF the boat dimensions allow it (which is a tall order). Next priority would be direct radiating rather than from within a compartment. The speakers you have are 'sealed' only and will not work in a bass-reflex or bandpass enclosure.
If you change speakers then you will get the most output with bandpass followed by bass-reflex followed by sealed followed by infinite baffle (which should not be a consideration in your case with your stated objectives). More surface area is huge although it is the woofer/enclosure combination that ultimately determines the output. The largest woofer generally wins in output but it is not automatic.
You start by looking over all the possibilities. Each individual boat will dictate the best available location. That location will determine the maximum enclosure displacement which will decide the best woofer size and enclosure type combination. You will gain the best results by following this sequence and looking at the woofer within a given enclosure rather than a stand-alone component. This is accomplished by modeling several options within a maximum enclosure displacement and according to the woofer Thiele/Small parameters. I know it sounds complex but the better specialty dealers go through this analysis process on every boat in a matter of minutes once they have the boat in front of them.
Then it comes down to the installation execution and tuning which is a bit of an art.

David
Earmark Marine

skuhleman 11-06-2012 4:18 PM

Well looking at your picture and with davids information I say you try 3 or all 4 if it will fit under the back bench. On your picture the area in the center with the sticker and light. I'm sure 3 will fit there, not sure about the 4th. But then you would meet davids "tall order" and should help with output. Just an idea. That with a 1000/1 and you should be banging. Use the money saved from new sub costs to repair the old sub holes.

mikeski 11-06-2012 5:43 PM

In my experience whenever there are multiple subs on different surfaces facing different direction you will experience significant cancellation. The setup in the picture screams cancellations. My favorite location for subs is right in front of the driver. If you can fit a 2 cubic foot box up there (should be easy in a X80) I would suggest the Boston SPG 555 in a slot ported configuration. If you want more and you can fit a bigger box then I would suggest 2 x 12" subs in slot ported boxes. Location and box configuration have a much greater impact on the sound output than the brand of the sub. That said, I would go with no more than 2 subs well powered in a ported box. I have heard some very sloppy sounding subs in ported boxes but the SPG sounds as good as a sealed sub (in my opinion) but you have the output gain of the ported box. The WS XXX is also great sub with tons of positive feedback on this site. I always suggest people avoid putting the sub up inside the storage areas where they get buried under towels, life jackets, and duffel bags. It continues to amaze me how the boat manufacturers still put them up under the passenger compartment.

Elliottsx80 11-06-2012 7:55 PM

last question....... mounting a couple 12s under the driver side dash would be a breeze i have tons and tons of room there. my question is. since i already have those 10s cut into the boat. instead of removing the subs and fixing the wholes. could i wire the subs up to run more as a mid and not a sub, and would it sound alright? also you think 2 ws xxx or to 13w7 in a ported or sealed box under the dash would sound/be alot louder than what i have? again sorry for all the rookie questions. just sick of cutting holes and reduing things. i want this to be the last fix on the bass problem on the boat

david_e_m 11-07-2012 5:35 AM

If you do a major subwoofer upgrade according to a very different scheme then you definitely want to cast off the old subs and old locations.
Here's why. PHASING.
With four different sub locations you have four sources reaching any given occupant at different points in the rotation of the waveform. And, this effect even varies with frequency because at different frequencies you have different wavelengths. It is more of an issue with lower/longer waveforms and greater distances.
The orientation and surrounding boundaries also make a contribution to phase rotation.
Reflected energy impacts phasing.
Also, any non-linear change in amplitude is tied to a change in phase response. The two are inseparable. And so is the inverse.
The output of different sub enclosures have a different phase response, so avoid mixing.
It really gets messy when you place one sub in a vented compartment and another sub is direct radiating. The compliance of the compartment and all of it's adjoining cavities plus the resistance of the comparatively small vent create a stored and delayed energy from the compartment that is essentially out of phase (not polarity) with the woofer's output. That which exits the compartment vent is certainly out of phase with any direct radiating subwoofer elsewhere in the cockpit.

There are countless other layers of design considerations that impact the final output and especially the bass musicality. You will never learn all those layers and considerations in a forum and many of the factors will be over your head. But, the above describes the most important one. From the above, you should know to keep it simple, the same, and tightly collected in a single location.

David
Earmark Marine

loux2 11-07-2012 9:35 AM

Robby,
Do you happen to have any pictures of the subwoofer enclosure. I am curious how you mounted them to the fiberglass.

Thank you,

Louis

david_e_m 11-07-2012 2:25 PM

Not in order....Simply bolt the enclosure in place with heavy S.S. countersunk front-loaded hardware prior to installing the woofer. Use an offset six-hole pattern that does not conflict with the woofer rim pattern. The woofer rim/grill will conceal the pre-mounted enclosure hardware. So the woofer (exterior) and enclosure (interior) will sandwich the fiberglass wall. Strip the carpet from the inside wall surrounding the opening and sand smooth. Use a really thick silicone gasket to get an airtight seal under considerable pressure.

David
Earmark Marine

bryce2320 11-07-2012 4:48 PM

FWIW, I have a 13w7 In a 2 cubic ft box and is ported and tuned to 32hz powered by a JL 1000/1 and it slams. I can only imagine how loud it would be in a properly built bandpass box! As far as the holes, could you put some 808s or something in there that are mounted to a mirrored stainless cut out that mounts to the fiberglass?? Just throwing out ideas but I'm sure they'd also cancel out quite a bit.

Elliottsx80 11-07-2012 6:15 PM

i talked to a local audio shop and had them look at my set up to see what i could do different. they suggested that i keep the subs i have or atleast start with the subs i have. but cut the openings up to a large oval and plexy glass one side of the box and mount to subs per sealed box either firing down or firing to the side of the hull on each side of the boat. so it would have 4 subs in the rear 2 on each side. from what there saying it will be night and day difference in the way it sounds. they also said if it wasnt enough to mount a single 13w7 under the drivers dash. debating if this is all true and if i should give it a try.

Elliottsx80 11-07-2012 6:18 PM

and where the the forward sub is to cut in a glove box since thats the only thing the x80 doesnt have. i gotta sink, hot and cold shower, a crapper, and slick boot. but not one good place to put wallets and sunglasses!

Elliottsx80 11-07-2012 6:21 PM

but what scares me about thier suggestions is when they told me if the 4 10s wasnt enough to add a 13w7 under the drives dash. i think that kinda goes against what dave was saying. thats if i decrypted his information correctly. lol

Elliottsx80 11-07-2012 6:38 PM

the box is pretty much 3 sided whey they mounted the sub the just screwed the sub to the fiberglass and into the box sealing the box to the fiberglass and they used some kind of silacone or cocking around the outside of the box where it mounts to the fiberglass. does that make since?

loux2 11-07-2012 6:59 PM

Thank you David and Robby.

skuhleman 11-07-2012 10:53 PM

Robby Do not do what that shop is saying, it sounds like a terrible idea. I say do all 4 under the rear bench firing forward. It would take all the storage under there but will bang. All on the same plane, sealed.

mikeski 11-07-2012 11:01 PM

Don't go to that shop, they don't understand acoustics. Shawn's suggestion is also a good option, just not quite as efficient as a ported box in front of the driver.

david_e_m 11-08-2012 5:52 AM

Rob,
Your description of how the enclosures were constructed and mounted concerns me. '5-sided' concerns me. An acoustic suspension woofer must be in an absolutlely airtight enclosure. I have a great deal of experience with the woofer you are using. It really likes one cubic foot net (larger than most contemporary air suspension 10" woofers). A pin hole sized leak is too much. If the wire is caulked where passing through the enclosure wall that seal NEVER holds up versus quality terminals or terminal cup. Although the spread scheme is flawed against the optimum scenario, you may be no where close to reaching the potential of what you presently have. I would also have to question the system tuning as a contributor to under-performing subs. And other questions and concerns keep on coming. Good gear will only take you so far. Design integrity and execution makes the biggest difference in many cases. While there are far better ways to go from a placement standpoint I'm not convinced you are anywhere close to potential at this time based on what you already have.

David
Earmark Marine

Elliottsx80 11-10-2012 8:05 PM

well my problem is now out of my hands and in davids! pretty stoked on the stereo build you guys are doing for me. the crew you have in the lewisville store are some great guys. not to many shops will take 4 hours out of their day and go through everything on your boat build and what to expect. i was very impressed with all their help. deff. the best audio shop ive been in, and will be a life long customer. even though its a 6 hour round trip!

took a lot of before pics and ill share the after with all you guys when the boats done......... thanks again david for all your help! finally feel like i found a shop for the job!

david_e_m 11-11-2012 7:35 AM

Robby,
Thanks.
It's all done except for the hard work.

skuhleman 11-14-2012 8:28 AM

So how is it coming? What setup did you decide to go with? Great choice choosing earmark, they definately have incredible skills and knowledge!

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 8:42 AM

well going to earmark is like going into walmart. i left with alot more than i was planning. but thats fine... taking all those subs in the rear and going to 2 13w6s in a bandpass box on the passenger side with custom vents through the side of the boat and some to match it on the drivers side and 2 750/1 jl amps.... rewiring the whole entire stereo on the boat including towrespeakers and batteries. changing all the classic grilles to sport grilles. and tinting the windshield, also installing a glove box where the factory sub is on the x80 since thats the only thing the boat doesnt have. you can take a crap, wash your hand or dishes, or take a hot shower. but not one good place to stick a wallet or phone... just hoping this thing pounds when i get it back.... i think there also adding some line drivers or something like that also..... cant wait to get it back

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 8:46 AM

also using the 600/4s going to my old subs to now power my 7.7 inside speakers.... should really wake them up... since i only had a 600/6 to them

lakesurfer 11-14-2012 8:50 AM

So you what are you going to put in where the old subs were, just new grills and no speakers?

bruizza 11-14-2012 8:51 AM

That sounds like a serious upgrade and should sound pretty damn amazing!

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elliottsx80 (Post 1794470)
well going to earmark is like going into walmart. i left with alot more than i was planning. but thats fine... taking all those subs in the rear and going to 2 13w6s in a bandpass box on the passenger side with custom vents through the side of the boat and some to match it on the drivers side and 2 750/1 jl amps.... rewiring the whole entire stereo on the boat including towrespeakers and batteries. changing all the classic grilles to sport grilles. and tinting the windshield, also installing a glove box where the factory sub is on the x80 since thats the only thing the boat doesnt have. you can take a crap, wash your hand or dishes, or take a hot shower. but not one good place to stick a wallet or phone... just hoping this thing pounds when i get it back.... i think there also adding some line drivers or something like that also..... cant wait to get it back

WOW, really surprised your X80 need all that expensive cable replaced with new... nice upsell for sure... cant wait for pics...

chpthril 11-14-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truekaotik (Post 1794504)
WOW, really surprised your X80 need all that expensive cable replaced with new... nice upsell for sure... cant wait for pics...

Sounds like you have personal knowledge of this boat, did you do the current install? Maybe thats why it needs to be reconfigured.

If you do not have personal knowledge of this boat, I do not see where you come off questioning the plan decided upon by the installer and the owner. $.02

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpthril (Post 1794510)
Sounds like you have personal knowledge of this boat, did you do the current install? Maybe thats why it needs to be reconfigured.

If you do not have personal knowledge of this boat, I do not see where you come off questioning the plan decided upon by the installer and the owner. $.02

This is a forum and I have every right to post and question, just like your doing now. Nice try on slamming me, by insinuating I had something to do with the "current install". but thats ok to do huh..lmao
Dont be mad I pointed out a upsell tatic commonly used in this business by obviously you as well.. my $.02 Bia!

chpthril 11-14-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truekaotik (Post 1794514)
This is a forum and I have every right to post and question, just like your doing now. Nice try on slamming me, by insinuating I had something to do with the "current install". but thats ok to do huh..lmao
Dont be mad I pointed out a upsell tatic commonly used in this business by obviously you as well.. my $.02 Bia!

Oh yeah, aren't you an installer/retailer too? So I guess you're guilty as well. :p ;)

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpthril (Post 1794515)
Oh yeah, aren't you an installer/retailer too? So I guess you're guilty as well. :p ;)

So I take it you were mad I revealed that and thats why you tried to personally attack my post and installs in one failed swoop? Do you have something to do with the new install, by saying it was a crap install "if" I did it?? If you dont, then their was no reason for your attacking post directed to me... NOT ALL Audio shops do that, sad you do .... :banghead:

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 12:27 PM

ok where the old hole are in the very back on both sides. that will have a larger and longer hole cut with custom grilles with 2 13w6 in a bandpass box behind the grilles on the passenger side. where the factory sub is located will have a glove box trimmed in. the sub in the very front of the boat will remain. but in a better box. as fare as the wiring goes. the tower has 4 rev10s and 1 rev410 and they used to small of wire on them. on my inside speakers the wires have been cut and splice and taped back together a million times. i have 6 golf cart batteries in the crapper room and amps mounted on amp racks that have wiring going everywhere.... the boat looks like a stereo wire seeking missile hit it. maybe even twice!!!!! i love my x80 and ive spent more on my stereo between 5 different audio shops than what most people pay for their whole boat. plus it was embarrassing when people would want to see my amps and what not and it looked like rats have been eating and pulling wires everywhere

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 12:30 PM

i just want everything new and clean looking!!! sick of spending money on it

jeff_mn 11-14-2012 12:31 PM

Earmark is the rigth place then.. Cant wait to see it!

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 12:38 PM

See Mike^ he answer the post like a man... Take notes...

Robby,
That sucks the other 4 shops did you wrong like that on your improper wiring but that pretty much sums up why!! LOL ive seen you talk about your set up before , thats why I was baffled it needed replaced yet again :) I posted as a concern for you, no one else... Hopefully this will be the LAST time you need to replace expensive cable.. Most reputable shops run the proper cable the first time :) Thats why doing your homework is so important i keep telling the kids... you can only live and learn though, really can't wait for the pics of the finished product.. Maybe a video ;)

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 12:46 PM

i to cant wait to see it... deff post a video as well. you guys will flip when you see the before pics... never posted a pic of my amps and what not because it was that embarrassing.

is anyone else running 2 13w6 in there boat???? wondering how loud it will actually be, and how they sound. done some research and havent came up with much

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 1:09 PM

Sorry havnt done a baller X80 ;) check with the shop you chose? They may have what your looking for...

chpthril 11-14-2012 1:28 PM

ROFLMAO Damn TK, you do the backstroke better the Michael Phelps :p :p :p Who are you kidding! You clearly took a pot shot at the installer by insinuating the wire replacement was an unnecessary up-sell and that the boat owner was being taken advantage of. Now the boat owner has described the condition of the wiring and you find the need to dig your self out of the hole you've dug :D Anyone that visits Centurion Crew would quickly see your post had motive.

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy...gg+on+face.jpg

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chpthril (Post 1794531)
ROFLMAO Damn TK, you do the backstroke better the Michael Phelps :p :p :p Who are you kidding! You clearly took a pot shot at the installer by insinuating the wire replacement was an unnecessary up-sell and that the boat owner was being taken advantage of. Now the boat owner has described the condition of the wiring and you find the need to dig your self out of the hole you've dug :D Anyone that visits Centurion Crew would quickly see your post had motive.

https://static.prtst.net/asset-proxy...gg+on+face.jpg

I wasnt backstroking anything brah!!! I say it how it is, yes, took a excellent "pot shot" as youd put it... you vultures on here get so protective of your internet space when another person starts posting another view.. lol Its comical. DONT worry, im no threat, I do NO internet sales dude, im on here posting like a regular guy with audio background and will call BS when I deem necessary.. I own 3 different businesses and post on all kinds of threads, not just audio like some of you... BUT it had NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU, so why you even opening your mouth? I think im not the only one wondering... it was a suttle shot and a EXCELLENT question to ask after having thousands of dollars dumped into wiring ALREADY!!! Elliote answered the question I had with no ill will, not like you protecting someone elses stake and claim... brush your shoulder off....

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 2:08 PM

ALSO glad your a fan of my posts on the CREW as well!!! BWAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAA
you dont own a Centurion... ;)

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 2:40 PM

come on, you cant post a pic with a egg with out bacon!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 26597

Elliottsx80 11-14-2012 2:41 PM

come on you cant post a pic of a egg with out bacon!!!!

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 2:48 PM

HAHAHAHAHA nice Rob!!!!!!!

BTW Rob, He is WylieTunes on CCC and they both like to bust my chops and degrade my posts. Read them for yourself, they are quite entertaining.. David and I get along from time to time and take shots at each other often ;) Wylie hates me and chimes in whenever to blast my posts.. I was just filling you in brother! back to the bacon pic! LOL

Truekaotik 11-14-2012 3:14 PM

BTW Mike... or Wylie... which ever alter ego you are today... Dont you think the Phelps comment toward me is getting old? this isnt the first time you have posted those exact same comments... I think your kidding yourself anymore that im ignorant of giving audio help..... when can we just respect eachothers view and have a fun conversation and banter?

jeff_mn 11-15-2012 5:53 AM

You two should STFU and quit ruining a good thread.

Elliottsx80 11-15-2012 3:57 PM

my amp selection was 5 750/1, and 2 600/4 all jl mhd

Truekaotik 11-15-2012 4:10 PM

Good deal Robby, JL amps are great for the power consumption your gonna endure!

Lol JD, day late, dollar short...