WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Heel Dents (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781055)

dreamer 06-27-2010 8:35 PM

Heel Dents

An etiquite question. I have a ShredStixx board that has some dents worked into it from my feet. Do you guys let your heavier friends ride your favorite board and expand your dents, or just let them use your less expensive board?

hematoma 06-27-2010 8:53 PM

Pressure dings are just a common problem with foam/surfboard style boards you can get them from pumping the board doing airs whatever. It will happen to any board regardless of rider size. If the deck patch is thin than you'll get them. But i do have a really good friend that told me to piss off when I asked to ride his high-end board, you know who you are. Hahahahahahaha,

you_da_man 06-27-2010 11:12 PM

Shred Stixx boards are much better than other foam surf style boards. After about 10 outtings on my Shred Stixx I don't have a single ding but my friend with a Liquid Force Custom had dings just from the house to the lake in the v-drive locker.

ragboy 06-28-2010 1:20 AM

Heel dents happen, RJ is only 150 lbs and he gets them front constant air attempts. Although, I will say the JWSM from TWP that he has been riding consistently for almost a year has held up outstandingly. I am VERY much looking forward to the new FLYBOY JWSM. We have one on the way, and I am curious to see how it holds up, with the new type of construction. Sounds great, we will see.

We go out 2 times a week religiously for 5 months straight, you are gonna dent some boards like that. Doesn't affect performance.

brewkettle 06-28-2010 4:31 AM

You may look for a board builder that uses InnegraS material in their board builds, RagBoy may know of such builder!!

06-28-2010 7:38 AM

Heel dents, for the most part, are nothing more than superficial and won't impact your board. There are two instances, IMO, where it's a concern. The first is if the dents are "perfect" for your foot and expanding them would make your stixx less comfortable - tell your friend to ride your cheap board. :) I mean really, dropping $600 on a board isn't cheap, I don't think a friend would want to mess you up for the remaining life of the board. I know I'd feel crappy if I did that.

Another instance deals with the stringer. The wood is significantly stiffer than the foam/glass next to it. That is why mostly you dent the foam/glass and the stringer remains at it's original dimension. If the heel dents are approaching the hard edge of the stringer, the glass will rip along the stringer. Typically that doesn't happen on a center stringered board, it happens VERY quickly on perimeter stringered boards, because your heel is close to the stringer on the outside of the board. However, if someone's stance is weird, or teh dents are so pronounced that they are approaching the stringer - it's the cheap board for the friend.

dreamer 06-28-2010 10:43 AM

I do not want to come across as a jerk to my friends and I do not mind if they "try" my board but if we are camping together and riding for a few hours a day for a week his size 13 feet are going to mess up my size 9 feet dents on the board.

06-28-2010 12:19 PM

Oh hell! Size 13 = Broadcast! :)

duffymahoney 06-28-2010 12:22 PM

Hell dents suck, but they happen. I cover the entire board with traction because I have a buddy that constantly walks my board and puts heel dents everywhere!

hawaj 06-28-2010 1:18 PM

I heard that some pro surfers makes dents on new board just before ridingn ;)

scottnaz 06-29-2010 6:37 PM

I, personally, discriminate against any of my buddies with tattoos.........:D

I'm the only one that rides my high end board, mostly because I'm still not over the wallet pain from making the purchase. Once I'm ready and researching for my next custom board purchase, I'll throw this board in to the "general population" quiver. Heck, I'm the only one I trust to even get the board out of the rack for fear of someone else tweaking it and getting a rack fork dent in the board.

Yeah, I still baby the board. :)

hematoma 06-29-2010 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottnaz (Post 1603090)
I, personally, discriminate against any of my buddies with tattoos.........:D

I'm the only one that rides my high end board, mostly because I'm still not over the wallet pain from making the purchase. Once I'm ready and researching for my next custom board purchase, I'll throw this board in to the "general population" quiver. Heck, I'm the only one I trust to even get the board out of the rack for fear of someone else tweaking it and getting a rack fork dent in the board.

Yeah, I still baby the board. :)

Hahhahahahahaah. Good chit. :D I will be ready and willing when you get ready to let her out of lock down.