WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Extreme Trailer- Fender used as step (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781593)

big_b_21v 07-13-2010 5:05 PM

Extreme Trailer- Fender used as step

We have a 2009 VLX sitting on an Extreme Trailer that is loaded with pretty much every option.
When we purchased the boat the fenders and part of the trailer had some paint issues. Extreme paid the dealer for a warranty claim to repaint the bad spots.
I got the trailer back and it looks great. So I put Clearshield on the fenders when I did the transom of the boat to keep them looking new. Keep in mind that the fenders do not have grip tape or anything else on the topdeck nor did they when the boat was purchased.
Now,
The fender on the left side has started to buckle.
I took it back to the dealer and the response that they got from Extreme was "the fenders are not meant to be a step"
So I sent Extreme my own e-mail and now after 2 weeks I still have gotten zero response on either their stance or what their solution to this problem may be.
I kind of wanted to hear it from them directly that their stance was that their fenders are'nt meant to be used as a step, but now I'm getting nothing.
We really dont use the fenders that much as a step but it does happen at times.
Anyone else having this sort of problem?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...Picture503.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...Picture526.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...Picture527.jpg

stu929 07-13-2010 5:12 PM

I'm sure that you would prefer to have it fixed by the factory but you could probably get that back into shape pretty easy with a block of wood and a hammer. Just be gentle of course. I would be more concerned about cutting a tire with how close the fender is to the rear tire.

From the look of it the fenders don't look very thick though.

hatepain 07-13-2010 5:18 PM

My fenders have diamond plating on them so that they may be used as a step. Its not an extreme trailer but still, I call BS.

07-13-2010 5:53 PM

I have an extreme trailer that is 2010 version and I too have a fender that isn't buckled yet, but just bowed in the middle. I think maybe it has been stepped on 3 times. The trailer is a 2010 but my boat is a 2011. It is all a brand new setup so I just am watching it very carefully and this winter may try to stabilize it somehow.

tro 07-13-2010 8:00 PM

if you decide to bend it back yourself, be very careful with how much pressure you apply. the paint could easily crack when bending it. i have a buckled spot like that on my boatmate trailer from when i put a new fender on and it bent too much when popping it back into place. i haven't fixed it yet, because i'd rather have a small buckle as opposed to a crack piece of paint.

mdaijogo 07-13-2010 8:44 PM

Not to change the direction of this thead, but where did you get those tire skate? If I am seeing this correctly, these skates are the ratchet type that does not require you to lift the boat up using a jack. If you can give some info on those, that would be fantabulous.

Thanks.

Mario-

burbanized 07-13-2010 9:16 PM

I have had some issues with EXTREME Trailers. My fenders started rusting from under the diamond plate and on one side the diamond plate wasnt properly glued and it just came off the trailer. when you buy the boat, they push so hard to sell you an extreme trailer, It sure looks good in the show room all nice and waxed, but when it hits the outside world its another story. They only way I got it fixed was through Malibu Boats Customer Servic

Remember.. "Going down the road ...it has to look good " (Quote taken from Extreme trailers website)

http://www.extremetrailers.com/produ...ucts-page.html

apwrx 07-13-2010 9:18 PM

Our last extreme trailer 01 wakesetter.Said in small script on the fender" not a step".The 05 says nothing i still try to avoid it although ive stepped on them alot with no issue.
iam also interested in the skates as well:)

bawshogg 07-13-2010 9:41 PM

Mine have tread pad installed on them that was on there when it was new, grip tape type stuff that has the Malibu logo cut into it. What the heck is the tread for if you can't step on it? Ghey!

jv210 07-13-2010 10:57 PM

I got an 07 trailer made in late 06 and use the fenders as a step all the time without even thinking about it. The boat sits tall on my trailer and Its awkward if I were to try and use the lower step portion. Mine also didn't come with anything on top of the fender. Knock on wood, but I have no bending fenders.

Like others have mentioned, they make a nice product that looks good, but with having to deal with different problems on my trailer, the quality of certain things has definitely left me a little disappointed.

joesell 07-14-2010 5:09 AM

I've used the step as a fender on every trailer I've ever owned. My Extreme even has the traction material on it. I can't believe they would try to say it's not a step.

bhyatt_ohp 07-14-2010 6:33 AM

Shoulda got a Boatmate...

NuBu 07-14-2010 6:39 AM

I have the extreme trailer as well and I learned real quick...the fender is not a step! It sucks because I am always having to look out for guests that don't know any better and I sound like a jerk always saying "please don't step there" but that's the way it has to be with those fenders. I do love the trailer but you can't step on the fender.

cwkoch 07-14-2010 7:01 AM

Fender not a step??? BS..... They offer a "rhino liner" coating on the fenders as an option so you're not scratching them when you step on them....

I honestly think Extreme is cutting corners where ever they can. My 2010 has the optional "rhino lined" fenders. It's a cheap knock-off coating that dissolves when gasoline hits it (yeah, the the fenders are directly below the gas-fills!). The carpet on the carpet on the bunks is the cheapest carpet they could find anywhere. Mine had burns in the the FIRST time the boat was in the water. I can barely feel the brakes engage on my trailer when I'm trying to stop. Etc, etc, etc...... My last trailer was a Boatmate.... I think they're a much better trailer. Our local Malibu dealer sells Extreme Trailers, but if I buy another Malibu through them, we'll be ordering a Boatmate.....

helinut 07-14-2010 7:04 AM

I have an 07 extreme trailer and have never thought twice about using the fender as a step. Mine looks a bit more robust that the OP's pictures though. I've had no issues at all. It does have the grip tape applied to the top of the fenders.

wakesurfer08 07-14-2010 7:11 AM

Brady,

Good thing you brought this up, since we just got our Malibu with the Extreme trailer (05') we have been stepping all over the fenders. I have not noticed anything as far as being week or starting to bend/flex, but I will look at this real close tonight. THANKS for the Heads Up!!

05mobiuslsv 07-14-2010 7:17 AM

The last two extreme trailers I've had I've used the fenders as steps the entire time I had the boats. Never had an issue with the fenders getting damaged. Maybe it's a defective fender. I've also had a boatmate trailer in 05' and didn't find it to be any higher quality than the extremes.

If your brakes aren't working check the fluid in the actuator.

nelson 07-14-2010 7:18 AM

X2 I have the 07 extreme and not a problem after reading this I had to go out to the shop and look. Charlie is probably correct they might have switched suppliers in order to save a few bucks.