WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through September 23, 2004 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=192984)
-   -   Hyperlite Motive sizing question (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190557)

sparks426 09-14-2004 11:52 AM

Hey guys, I am looking at picking up a left over 2004 Hyperlite Motive, and would like a little advice on which one to get. I am 5'10", weigh around 210. I am currently using a Vero (143), but would like to get into something more aggressive. I am leaning towards the 144, but would I be better suited on the 140?

alaskaboy 09-14-2004 12:02 PM

That's freaky, I had the Vero at the start of the year and switched to the 144 Motive. I love it. I'm 5'-10" and 205-215 depending on how much beer is in the system.

spinsir 09-14-2004 4:44 PM

i don't consider the Motive that much more agressive. i started riding on an 03 Vero 143 and this season stepped up to an 04 Parks DNA 143. i would reconsider buying the Motive and look for something truely more "agressive".

seattle 09-15-2004 6:42 AM

Andy, <BR> <BR>I'm on my third Motive. My first board was the 2001 Belmont 140 now known as the Motive. My next board was a Byerly 137, and I hated it. I bought the 2002 Motive 144, loved it for a season and a half until I thought I needed something more advanced. I ended up buying a TFD 142 after demoing the Parks, and the Premier. I road the TFD for a year, and thought it was the board for me. A couple of weeks ago, one of the guys I ride with had his 2001 Belmont 144 (Motive) lying around, and I liked the graphics on it so I thought what the hell, I'll ride it just for fun. Well after fifteen minutes of riding it and some of the best air I've had in quite some time, I'm now back to riding the Motive for good. <BR> <BR>In my opinion, the board has great consistent pop, rides real loose when you want it to and lands relatively soft for us bigger riders (I'm 6" 220lb). The one suggestion I would make is dump the monster fins the board comes with, and by some 1' Rainbow fins. The 1' fins really loosen the board up, and make you ride the rails hard, they also let the board pop off of the wake much quicker. When you edge this board properly, it will launch you. <BR> <BR>Just my opinion. <BR> <BR>Cliff

sparks426 09-15-2004 8:07 AM

Thanks guys, the opinions really help. I think I'll try to pick up a 144.

toolfan 09-15-2004 9:54 AM

I think the new motive is the old premier. if that is the case, it is an "aggressive" board. <BR> <BR>The 144 should perfect for you. <BR> <BR>DONT RELY ON HYPERLITE TERMINOLOGY. Just because the brochure/catalog says something is "aggressive/mellow", doesnt mean that it is exactly that. Just because a board in a catalog has a clipart image of a helicopter beside it, doesnt mean you are all of sudden gonna be getting "mad air". <BR> <BR>DEMO and then make your own opinion. You will be one of the few. Hyperlite makes good boards. A little pricey and heavy, but dont fall victim to their marketing tactics. <BR> <BR>

malibuboarder75 09-15-2004 11:49 AM

"I would make is dump the monster fins the board comes with, and by some 1' Rainbow fins. The 1' fins really loosen the board up," <BR> <BR>Where can I find some 1 foot fins??? I bet those things are super loose.

fly135 09-16-2004 6:19 PM

The 2004 Motive is most definitely not a Premiere. At least not if you can believe the pictures on the Wakeworld site. It's still the original Belmont. I love my Motive and ride it with only the molded fins. <BR> <BR>It edges hard enough without a center fin to throw air inverts on the cable. Grabs enough to stablize the landings. And is slippery enough to butter slide and do surface spins without hardly any effort to break loose. I have no idea what "agressive" means. AFAIK, the agressiveness comes from the rider. Something I could still use plenty more of.