WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Standard Boats hull? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777204)

rmcronin 03-04-2010 3:21 PM

Standard Boats hull?

Could they have bought classic 2001 nautique mold? The pictures of the stern area look a lot like the one I used to ride behind.

polarbill 03-04-2010 3:25 PM

If they didn't buy the old mold they certainly designed the hull after the 2001 nautique.

sidekicknicholas 03-04-2010 3:26 PM

I don't think is the exact mold either, but it is very close to the same shape.

Are they still planning on a v-drive

beleza 03-04-2010 4:10 PM

I think they should really consider doing a v-drive open bow version. It's got to be tough to sell a closed bow direct drive boat for $30k. I'm sure they make a great boat, but if I had 30k to spend they would be waaay down on my list. I like the idea of building a simple, clean boat without the bling, but would someone really rather have one of these over a 03-04 SAN 210, VLX, X-2, etc?

They seem like an awesome company that puts a lot of effort into making a good boat. It just seems like their market is tiny.

rmcronin 03-04-2010 4:26 PM

If the hull makes a nautique wake, it would be worth it. If it makes an old mastercraft prostar wake, forget it. I wish them the best.

polarbill 03-04-2010 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beleza (Post 1558628)
I think they should really consider doing a v-drive open bow version. It's got to be tough to sell a closed bow direct drive boat for $30k. I'm sure they make a great boat, but if I had 30k to spend they would be waaay down on my list. I like the idea of building a simple, clean boat without the bling, but would someone really rather have one of these over a 03-04 SAN 210, VLX, X-2, etc?

They seem like an awesome company that puts a lot of effort into making a good boat. It just seems like their market is tiny.

I agree 100%. I just couldn't imagine paying anywhere near 30k for a 20' closed bow direct drive. There are so many amazing slightly used Vdrives in that price range it is crazy. For 20k you could probably completely rebuild a nautique 2001 and add PP, custom ballast, tower and GT40 heads on the engine. It looks like they do a good job and support core wakeboarding but it just doesn't make sense. And if it don't make Dollaz it don't make Cents.

sidekicknicholas 03-04-2010 6:17 PM

Honestly open bow isn't even needed.
Perfect boat:
21/22 ft.
V-drive
Star-gazer
****load of ballast (closed bow - full of it)
Tower
board racks

Honestly that boat could be made for cheap!!!!!!!! anything else could be added after-market and its okay. 33k could easily be done with these options.... and fudge fiberglass, isn't epic's hull something cheaper? Use that, a GT-40, and that thing would sell like hotcakes

guido 03-04-2010 6:30 PM

How about if someone really makes an entry level wake-boat. I'm talking like $15-20k all loaded with ballast and no B.S.

That's what I was hoping Standard was doing. $30k puts you smack into Sanger/Moomba entry level territory. I think I paid $27k for my DLX with the wake package and 315 horse motor. that boat was great.

sidekicknicholas 03-04-2010 6:35 PM

^ Agreed, I think like 25k with a trailer is do-able.

I was being pretty kind with 33k.... and maybe its just me but F*** hand made, and make these boats made by robot, and make them cheap.

I could never justify a NEW NEW boat unless it was as cheap as another used boat... so until then, thank god for the 95' Superpsort

tripsw 03-04-2010 9:06 PM

You won't hear Phil (from Standard) say it but it is the 2001 hull, so a good wake is guaranteed. Everybody seems to want a V-drive (me included), and supposedly there was one in its early stages quite a while ago (when whoever it was did the video-review), so let's hope it's on its way.

polarbill 03-04-2010 9:20 PM

I don't know why he wouln't want to say it is the 2001 hull. It is one of the most legendary wake hulls of all time. It is amazing it was a huge mistake by nautique. From what I hear it sucked at what it was suppose to do, Slalom. Who would of known it would be the single most sought after small direct drive of all time.

There was a thread a while ago where someone actually customized a 2001 and made it a vdrive. The only problem was they made it so classy it would be a shame to throw a tower on it. It reminded me a a beautiful old chris craft or century. A perfect small lake cruiser.

benjaminp 03-05-2010 7:05 AM

I thought I remembered reading that it was the actual 2001 hull mold too. But if it isnt, they may not be able to call it a 2001 hull because on paper, it isnt. Legal issues and all that jazz. And I agree with you guys, its definately possible to do what Standard and Axis tried to do, but better. No interior LEDs or anything like that, just a hull, tower, ballast, PP, and a swim platform slapped on a V drive. The end. Even a stereo could be optional.

wakebrdr38 03-05-2010 10:40 AM

The 2001 wasnt a total flop. You have to remember that it was a really good 3 event hull. The slalom wake is ok, but the table for trick skiing at 16-17 mph with no ballast and a short trick ski line is awesome.

That is why you can speed it up, add a ton of weight, legnthen the line out and you get a great wakeboarding wake. The direct drive engine placement is a pain sometimes but I think my biggest issue with the boat is the side to side roll when I cut in. Its the one thing I really wish I could change about the boat. I have an extended pylon on mine because I like the classic lines without a tower but I have ridden one with a tower and believe you get a little less roll with the tower because it doesnt act like a lever down the center of the boat.

That hull is so much fun to drive though. I actually like the way that hull drives more than I do the newer generation Ski Nautiques.

otown_dave 03-05-2010 10:54 AM

I think I would call a continuation of refining the 2001 hull. The lead cad designer from CC during the Super sport/ Super air" 210s run is a friend of Phil's & helped out on the bottom design as I recall. So it fit's between the 2001 & the Super sport style hull ,But not a copy. :p

otown_dave 03-05-2010 11:03 AM

Here is the post from Darrell....
Wow, even after six years of designing at Nautiques and reading negative posts on the product these juvenile comments still get under my skin. I'd like to introduce myself and put my $0.02 in:

I was the Senior CAD Designer for Correct Craft from 00-06, designed products for Pickard USA, Nick Anglada with Custom Sportbike Concepts and most recently consulted for Disney Ride & Show Engineering.

I'm not here to argue or bash other boat builders. Lets just say that after the corporate mentality took over at CC my heart wasn't in it anymore, it was time to part ways. The owner of Standard Boats is a long time friend of mine. When he explained to me that he was going to pursue this project I was completely excited.

This boat is aimed at the core rider. In no way has any shortcuts been taken in construction or materials to achieve the seating, bling or mini-van luxuries of everything else on the market. The hull/deck construction is ahead of its time. The other manufacturers have been attempting to incorporate this (Resin Infused Composite) for years. The drive-ability is incredible and the wake is phenomenal.

I could go on and on about this boat but the bottom line is I don't like spending my weekends digging out rotten stringers, repairing screws lagged into fiberglass or looking at cracked upholstery. I have kids to put through college so I have no desire to finance 50-75k on my hobby. When I get back from my project in New York this boat will be sitting in my driveway.

03-05-2010 11:08 AM

This is a guy I no from Oklahoma who is making a v drive version for himself.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...le=2001v-drive

goinbigg17 03-05-2010 11:12 AM

I talked to Phil at Standard one day and he certainly would not admit that it was a 2001 hull, even though its very similar.

I believe he also mentioned the 30K price was with many options, and a base price boat with trailer (i think) was around 24k. The boats seem legit and look WAY better with the new tower on there. He was very willing to provide you with a place to stay and ride behind the new boat if you wanted to head on down to Florida to check it out. He said he also has a guy in Portland that was supposed to be buying one, so any one in the NW can arrange a demo.

If anyone buys or demos one, a full report will be necessary :)

behindtheboat 03-05-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon_v (Post 1558946)
This is a guy I no from Oklahoma who is making a v drive version for himself.
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum...le=2001v-drive

what a waste of a great boat in fantastic condition

rmcronin 03-06-2010 5:31 AM

As a direct drive Supra owner, and former V-Drive owner, I still love direct drive. Makes a great foot rest, easiest to service yourself and they drive like a sports car when not weighted. I agree, there are some juvenile comments. Nobody can touch that price, not Moomba or anybody. I wish them the best, again.