WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Hyperlite Broadcast 5.6 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695695)

beachshack 05-12-2009 8:02 PM

I'm looking at adding Wakesurfing to our weekends and have heard good things about this surfboard. It will be used as a universal board meaning everyone will be using it. Roughly the weights using it will go from 225 down to 125. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you think this is a good enough universal board. None of us have ever done this before.

usostyle 05-12-2009 11:29 PM

curt- the broadcast 5'6" is exactly what we started with as beginners and it seemed to fit a majority of peeps in that weight range and beginner/intermediate ability. It has been a decent board for progressing to spins and very limited ollies. There are probably better 'beginner' boards, but they could soon be outgrown and you may get bored with them (ie-hyperlite landlock). There are definately better boards for spins/airs, but at the stage you and your crew is at, the broadcast 5'6" is a great board. <BR> <BR>If you go with the broadcast, I would get both sets of fins for the board. I have the '06 model and it came with the bigger set of 3 fins. I believe the '07's and newer come with the smaller fins. Would probably help to get both sets if feasible to help cater to your rider's different abilities as they progress. <BR> <BR>You may want to check out or demo inland surfer 'blue lake'. The blue lake seems to be a good beginner/intermediate that caters to a lot of sizes and abilities.

beachshack 05-13-2009 4:45 AM

do the better surfers use two fins and less experience use the three?

trash4life 05-13-2009 12:47 PM

I think the 225 lb rider would struggle with the Broadcast. I also started with a Broadcast and have had trouble getting anybody over 200 lbs to be able to ride the Broadcast. It is a good starter board as ICE said, but its not a good big guy board. Just know that the 200+ guys will get frustrated real fast on that board. <BR> <BR>I always start beginners out with 3 fins for the stability. Once you can ride ropeless easily then it is more fun to remove the rear fin.

usostyle 05-13-2009 1:44 PM

yeah- I weigh 250-ish now and 250 when I purchased the broadcast in '06. It's the board that I learned to surf on. There were other boards that were more bouyant and could hold me (aka-225lb+) better, but I figured it out (maybe that's why it took me so long to figure it out :-)? BTW- Im the only one in my crew over 225lbs so I guess I 'took one for the team' in forcing myself to learn on this board vs a bigger one. The other's have learned fine on it. <BR> <BR>Also, the main reason why I went with the broadcast back in '06 vs the blue lake, red woody, or landlock was because it was the only big board that fit in my roswell racks...kind of a dumb reason, but I didn't know any better @ the time and that's why I went with it.

bigshow 05-13-2009 4:27 PM

It's a good starter board. Nice and stable and good for beginners. I'm 210 to 220. The board was fine for my weight. One of my crew is 260; the boards a little small for him.

hawk22 05-13-2009 9:13 PM

I don't know if its the right board for you, but I just ordered the same board for the same reason. Going out this weekend so hopefully I'll have a better idea of what it can do. I hope I'm not one of the frustrated cuz I'm also in the 200ish range. If you want this board though, I think I found a pretty good buy at Sports LTD in Cali. I saw an ad for them in one of the mags. No website, call only, but I got the 09 broadcast for 219 shipped. Plus I think until the end of may they are giving free Regiment wakeboard handle. I just got my delivery from them a few days ago, seemed reasonable.

beachshack 05-18-2009 5:32 PM

Jeremy do you have their telephone number. That is a great price on and 09 Broadcast since I can't find an 07 for that price. <BR> <BR>The telephone # would be really appreciated.

hawk22 05-18-2009 8:07 PM

Hey Curt, <BR> <BR>Their phone number is 818-225-RIDE <BR> <BR>I spoke with Danny. <BR> <BR>Make sure you mention the free handle if you want it because I think they are offering it at a discount, but in "Wakeboarding" mag it said "free t-shirt and free handle and free shipping" on phone orders over $99. And I got it all included when I asked for it.

beachshack 05-25-2009 5:51 PM

Just ordered the board from Sports LTD and they were great, and sent the shirt and handle. Thank you so much for your comments.