WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 10, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=234701)
-   -   Help, Used Boat Lift vs New Lift (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229304)

npcain1 05-17-2005 2:20 PM

Buying my first boat lift and I know relatively little about them. I have found a few used Shorestations; one is an older model (3600lb) that recently had the cables replaced for $1500, i also need extension legs due to mud issue $250, the other is a newer style Shorestation lift (4000lb)for $2000 (again need extensions $250). My other option is a new Metal Craft lift for ~$3000 (no extensions needed) installed and full warranty. <BR> <BR> <BR>Is it worth purchasing new to save headaches down the line? <BR>Anyone have experiences with the different brands? <BR> <BR>Also almost any repair work needs to be done by someone with a crane due to the mud and muck that the channel I am on is.

sbt3 05-17-2005 2:33 PM

I don't know anything about Metal Craft's but I have a 4000lb shorestation that I bought used 4 seasons ago and am happy with it. I use it alot, 200+ hours on the boat per season. I haven't had any problems yet. This year I got a 97 super sport and am glad I have the 4000lb lift, I can tell this boat is alot heavier than my old 88 mastercraft.

shredhead 05-18-2005 8:30 AM

I've had my 3600 lbs. shorestation for 15 years and only had to change one of my cables once. I wouldn't worry too much about maintance headaches. There really not that much to do, maybe grease them once a year. <BR>Are you going to leave it in all year? How long of extensions do you need? My beach is really sandy and I don't use mine, I think that they are about 3' long and I am in your area. <BR> <BR>I will say that it gets to be a hassel to crank them up all the time. If I was going to get a new one I would probably get a hydrolic.

wiltok 05-18-2005 9:04 AM

I agree with all of the above. The cables are the weak link in my opinion - not all that much of a problem regardless. I have two lifts - a shore station and a harbor master. No question the harbor master is a better lift if you can find one. Otherwise, go used - you will save a ton of money.

npcain1 05-18-2005 9:58 AM

Thanks guys think I am going to go with the cheaper 3600lb, baring I take a look at it this weekend and it looks like hell. The main reason I need the extensions is the mud at the bottom of the channel, the water depth is not more than 4ft, but you could potentially have another 2-3ft of settling. <BR> <BR>Karl the 3' long ones would be fine, how much do you want for them? <BR> <BR>BTW-the guy has a 12V motor I will probably get for another $400.

shredhead 05-19-2005 8:06 AM

Noel: <BR> <BR>I sent you an e mail. You may be better off putting larger feet on your lift. <BR> <BR>K <BR> <BR>

npcain1 05-19-2005 8:40 AM

Karl thanks I just got your message...in addition just talked with a guy who installs/service and suggested adding 2 by 12 that run the length of the station. I think that is going to be my best bet. Thanks for everyone's help!