WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 13, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=448882)
-   -   Four or Five 1080's? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438911)

shiznizzle 04-21-2007 8:26 PM

Just reading the latest wakeboarding mag 'States of Wake' article and in the Florida section it states: <BR> <BR>'to date four documented 1080's have been landed - all of them occurred within a 30 mile radius of Orlando'. <BR> <BR>Documented 1080's off the wake have been landed by parks, harf &amp; rusty (twice). But at least one has also been landed by robin friday off the big white kicker at owc. <BR> <BR>Do you think the four includes rusty's two and excludes robins or are they not counting one of rusty's?

otiswunguy 04-21-2007 9:23 PM

it includes rustys two, dannys and parks'. Its not the same trick if its off a kicker. This has been discussed before.

dmcguirt23 04-21-2007 11:26 PM

they left out Mark Kenney. Supposedly,he did one, but it wasn't on video. And that guy who sent in his video to the 1080 contest, but they didn't count it because he landed at the wrong angle or something like that. I still think he threw one before Harf did.

mnwakerider 04-22-2007 1:03 AM

I would like to see that vid David.

mnwakerider 04-22-2007 1:04 AM

I would like to see that vid David. <BR> <BR>If you know anybody that has it online please post. I know Mark was a great rider, I would really just love to see a vid of somebody killine it like that.

shiznizzle 04-22-2007 6:57 AM

Mike I disagree its not the same trick, a 1080 is a 1080. snowboarder's do them off kickers and in the halfpipe, its still the same trick. <BR> <BR>I seem to recall a previous thread discussed a 1080 at owc (again I think it was robin's) but this one didn't count because he rotated the first 180 whilst still on the kicker. <BR> <BR>However he's since stomped a legit one, the video is on the WBM site. <BR> <BR>I know a few guys who did ride with Mark Kenney and from what I've heard and seen (via video) of his riding, I believe he was capable of landing a 1080, but unfortunately, if he did land any there is no documented proof and thus can't be counted for this discussion.

otiswunguy 04-22-2007 9:22 AM

Have you ever hit a kicker before? I can't do 1080's but I know 360's and 540's feel completely different off the wake and off a kicker and even more so at a cable park. It has to do with a lot less line tension and the amount of air you get off a kicker compared to the wake. A 1080 in a halfpipe on a snowboard is also a harder trick than off a kicker because you are either taking off or landing switch.

andy_nintzel 04-22-2007 10:23 AM

I agree with Mike. On a kicker you can cheat the rotation a little, wash your edge on the way up, you can usually get at least the first half the of the first 180 done on the way up the ramp. That being said, a ten on of a kicker is still one hell of a feat!

aces6692 04-22-2007 10:33 AM

wasnt there a rumor that phillip soven landed one also?

shiznizzle 04-22-2007 11:43 AM

Mike have hit kickers lots of times including said kicker at owc and i agree its a different experience from spinning off the wake. I also snowboard and am fully aware and agree the differences there. <BR> <BR>This post is not about which is the more difficult 1080, but how many officially documented 1080's have there been. <BR> <BR>Going on the posts so far the 1080 off the kicker is not being considered - I think this is harsh and as Andy says it is an awesome trick. <BR> <BR>Andy i know what your saying about cheating the spin a little but as I said in my second post this has been done before and as such the 1080 wasn't considered legit. <BR> <BR>Thanks for your views so far guys.

dlwsrider 04-22-2007 11:55 AM

Ryan, i think your refering to the one that he stomped and then when he got to the trough he popped the handle and rode away with this agonizing look on his face.

big_ed_x2 04-22-2007 12:08 PM

I agree,never landed a 3 behind a boat but the 1st day off the kicker got a 3,maybe 3rd or forth try.Way less line tension an easier to spin.....kind of like a snowboard with a handle.

kevin_bird 04-22-2007 12:46 PM

I have heard that Mark Kenney had done a nunber of 1080's, i heard rumors that he had done them back to back also. Not sure if its all true but if you've ever seen him ride you wouldn't doubt it. I do believe the 4 people they are referring to are, Parks, Kenney, Harf, Malinoski

mossy44 04-22-2007 6:15 PM

kevin - i am not one of those that say "mark kenney didnt land one since its not documented" i believe he did. however, if WBM states that there are 4 DOCUMENTED 1080's, i would have to assume they are talking about rusty (2), danny (1), and parks (1). right? i dont think they are including mark in any of that.

nwcoast2cascade 04-22-2007 9:33 PM

Definately don't count a 10 until it's been landed off the wake. The whole point of wakeboarding is <b>WAKE</b>boarding. You wouldn't count it if someone landed a 10 on a trampoline would you?

projectely4 04-22-2007 9:49 PM

yeah this is wakeboarding were talking about. riding behind the cable is a different sport and doesn't involve a wake

wakeboardlasvegas 04-22-2007 11:15 PM

landing a 10 on a tramp would be pretty impressive also!