WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Picking up fallen surfer (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=788439)

mdaijogo 06-25-2011 8:41 PM

Picking up fallen surfer

Good evening all. I wanted to know how everyone here who surfs pick up their fallen rider while having their boats listing to the port or starboard side.

Quick note: I have surfed behind my boat and have been successful in picking up riders while only using stock ballast.

Quick note: Will be using fat sacks tomorrow to get a bigger wake.

Here is the scenario:

Boat is listed over with stock ballast and bags on the port side. When the rider falls how do you pick them up?

Do you turn to starboard to always maintain eye contact with rider? Is this possible with the boat leaning to the port side?

Thanks.

m-

wofrankwo 06-25-2011 10:16 PM

as soon as the rider falls i let off the gas and turn the wheel to starboard ...... let the first rollers pass and get your surfer ...... im always right at them very easy ....... if you dont get the boat starting the turn while you have some momentum then getting the boat around after you lose momentum is a longer ordeal ..... im not saying turn the boat around even 90 degrees just starting the turn before stopping ...... getting the boat momentum going the way you want to go next ..... im sure there is a better way to describe this

another tip when weighted and big rollers are coming always try and take them to your high side im sure thats pretty obvious but from time to time you have to make a decision ....... we have encountered some huge rollers in the delta sloughs and i think its gotta be pretty hard to sink a boat LOL ..... we dont get alot of constant waves in the delta but we get some huge rollers sometimes in some tight spots and it can get exciting ......

i have a sanger which is a low profile easy to turn boat i am finding out

ive been in almost every boat made but i only first drove a different boat a weekend ago and it was a 24 tige ...... the thing was like a truck to me i should say more like a monster truck because i felt so high up ...... it was an amazing eye opener as i never assumed that the different brand boats would drive so different

so i gotta believe every boat has its own characteristics ..... the way i drove worked for me in the tige but it was far from as easy and im sure its just because i was not used to the boat and how it handles

and the centurion guy scared the hell out of all of us that was in the boat when i was in it at the polar bear last year ...... and ill never forget that LOL

hope this gives you a different perspective

ilikebeaverandboats 06-25-2011 10:46 PM

pretty much what frank said^ this is how we do it behind our Tige 20V and we have a significant amount of ballast.

When the rider falls, Crank the wheel starboard as you pull off the throttle (depending on how your cruise control works put it in neutral. Ours will slightly throttle up periodically to help pick up a fallen wakeboarder. i havent figured out how to turn this feature off. ) the momentum and the wave will help turn the boat while your waiting for the rollers to pass. Then throw it in gear, finish turning, and cost over to the rider.

Keeps the rider visible and has worked for us!

Side note, Your gonna love the bigger wave man! just wait, your only gonna want more ballast haha.

ragboy 06-26-2011 1:24 AM

If pulling goofy, just go the other direction. When rider goes down pull up the throttle to neutral and turn towards your high side as you pull up, so that you are at a 90 degree angle to your up coming wave. Make sure you pause the stereo when you pull up also. This is left off sometimes, and if you don't crank the tunes, not needed. But my kids love listening to music and the big Wet Sounds Pro 80s are loud. We always pull up to neutral and turn 90 deg to high side, cut the music as we settle, let the wave pass, and then idle to 5mph when you head towards rider. I like to put rider on driver's side no matter what. So sometimes you do a figure 8 to rider, sometimes a circle. Always be at idle as you approach the rider. I also always turn towards rider just as they are next to me (driver) and up to neutral. We like to get close to rider to ease getting the rope, so I hit neutral when rider is beside driver so that they go past the rear of the boat with prop NOT spinning. Since I started my turn as they got to me, I put back in idle as they grab rope and clear of the rear.

Both other notes are good advice, use what works for you, and is safe. Take your time, but remember, conditions may alter this plan. For instance, if your rider falls and you see a boat heading for them, get between rider and boat asap.

Another quick safety tip along these lines....

When one of my kids, or anyone is surfing, and I see a boat or ski take a position behind us, which I think is too close, I motion to the rider to hold. My kids know this means to relax and get in the pocket and don't fall. I then proceed to wave the flag or provide international hand gestures to the offending boat. ;-) When the boat or ski is no longer an issue, I give the rider a thumbs up.

hunter660 06-26-2011 7:14 AM

Throw it in reverse and just back up.

johnboyy7 06-26-2011 9:13 AM

robert offers some very good advice.

"my way" is much like the others. ride falls, let of gas, turn wheel all the way to high side letting the rollers push your back end around. after they pass head towards rider. this is where i differ.... i turn in front of the rider swinging the back of the boat in front of them and throw the rope. i do this cause this works best for my boat, it doesnt turn well when listed.

vman 06-26-2011 10:11 AM

I will use either technique (turning in front of-or the figure 8) when picking up a surfer. Depending on the direction you want to travel....If you want to continue your same course, then turn in front of the surfer. If wanting to head the opposite direction, then use the figure 8.