WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   H town riders? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=781812)

Cajun_Misfit 07-20-2010 7:06 AM

H town riders?

I live in Houston and just bought a 210 SANTE... Looking for a few places where i can get get her out on some butter. Any suggestions? I was thinking about either going to a cove on Lake Conroe or hitting up the Trinity River. I hear good things about the river but my wife is a little iffy when it comes to gators,...

jhebert 07-20-2010 7:31 AM

it kind of depends on what part of town your in, there are a few different places you can get some good water.......the trinity can be good but its a pretty long drive

Cajun_Misfit 07-20-2010 7:46 AM

Live in Katy but don't have a problem with driving... I just want good riding conditions!

theanimal 07-20-2010 7:50 AM

Honestly there is no good water to be found anywhere close. Conroe is a mess all of the time and the trinity is a long ways away.
I am also in the same situation as you and want some good water but I just dont want to have to drive an hour and a half to get to it every weekend.
Man I sure do miss the intercoastal canal in La where I am from :o

bkey79 07-20-2010 8:08 AM

I use to live in Houston, and the Trinity river is the best riding I have ever seen! In March I could launch at the bridge and go up river for a half a tank, then back in 90% butter the entire trip! Def one of the best places in Texas! I'm in San Antonio and wouldn't mind taking that trip again.. Also Lake Somerville is a really nice lake with mostly smooth conditions. Lake Conroe is usually really rough..

Check out www.gcwa.com . They are a local wakeboard group in Houston...

Cajun_Misfit 07-20-2010 8:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I'm originally from NOLA and lived in Birmingham, AL for a while; the riding conditions on those rivers and lakes were unbelievable. I'm gonna hit up some of the different suggestions people have giving me and keep posted what i thought... and yeah i've looked into the GCWA and can't figure out how to join, their website is kinda weak.

HAdams 07-20-2010 10:59 AM

I just moved onto lake conroe from katy. Its actually better than people believe it is. If you go to conroe on a weekend your just waisting your money, but if you want good water you hit the lake on a week day and you run the north end of the lake over by the national forest boat ramp. There are other spots back behind the stump fields also, but you have to know how to navigate them.

bkey79 07-20-2010 11:02 AM

When I lived there I made it to the edge of the stump fields, never brave enough to try it.... But I did see plenty of higher end ski boats at full speed going through! Made me cringe every time..

theanimal 07-20-2010 12:02 PM

Im actually from Belle Chasse. Small world huh.
:)

Cajun_Misfit 07-20-2010 12:11 PM

well the last thing i need to do is hit a stump with 4000lbs in that boat... i wouldn't mind taking a trip with some who knows the lake one day so i can learn the do's and don'ts of conroe. I'm thinking im gonna hit somerville this weekend and scout it out a little bit. Getting out during the week is going to be difficult most of the time but im willing to take a day here and there and get some good sets in.

skiboarder 07-20-2010 1:12 PM

Log into GCWA and you have joined. You don't even have to live in the gulf coast.

GCWA is just a meeting place for people who like to ride. Consider coming out to the H-town Showdown July 31. It is at M2's private lake on the eastside. They have a 2.0 that will be running throughtout the tournament. If you just want to socialize coolers are welcome. I gaurantee that by the end of the day you will find a few new places to ride and new people to ride with.

Cajun_Misfit 07-20-2010 1:14 PM

yeah i talked to Bethany earlier... I plan on making it out.

bkey79 07-20-2010 1:21 PM

Chris, check out www.wakeoutlaws.com also. Ken is a great guy and is always surfin that lake!

Cajun_Misfit 07-26-2010 6:48 AM

Ok ok... Got out on Lake Somerville this weekand and I would give it a 7 out of 10. First of all it took us exactly an hour to be in the water with one stop at a gas station for a morning bathroom break, and one hour to get back with a stop to refill the boat. We got there early (9am) and the lake had perfect riding conditions. We road over to the north shore and got a good first session in, then chilled for a few hours and knocked back some cold ones. We toured the lake and found a bunch of different slews which were a little to shallow for my liking (4-6ft). Anyone who goes big would probably bottom out, but there were some good places where it was about 10-12 ft. I saw a bunch of peope boarding but all beginners and even more people tubing right of the middle of them. The lake is not all that big so near the end of the day it got rough and boats were everywhere. That being said the morning was really the only time to get some glass... I definately will go back but it will be for and early ride and an afternoon party... Holla if you wanna ride!

hoss33 07-26-2010 3:52 PM

Hey man I live up in College Station, and lake bryan and Gibbons creek are just about glass all day everyday. Its probably about 1hr 30min from where your at. Give it a shot if ya feel like it, plus both have either bars on the lake or 30 sec down the road!

theanimal 07-27-2010 5:11 AM

We go to Gibbons Creek every now and then. Its really nice when they have no wind because you can use a lot more of the lake. If there is wind it kinda sucks because you have to stay close to the sea wall and when there are like 2 or 3 boats running it just seems like you are always crossing someones wake.
I never been to Lake Bryan but will have to give that one a try.

Cajun_Misfit 07-27-2010 8:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoss33 (Post 1613761)
Hey man I live up in College Station, and lake bryan and Gibbons creek are just about glass all day everyday. Its probably about 1hr 30min from where your at. Give it a shot if ya feel like it, plus both have either bars on the lake or 30 sec down the road!

Dude i didn't know anything about that area... Thanks a lot ill hit it up the first weekend of August... I passed by College station on the way to Somerville so it cant be that much furthur. Holla at me if your gonna be on the water the weekend on Aug. 7th