WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Samson, Krypt, or Monster bimini (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779734)

ToddB 05-20-2010 6:12 PM

Samson, Krypt, or Monster bimini

All,

I'm looking for opinions of these three biminis... Samson, Krypt or Monster.
Do they rattle when stowed?
Are they easy to put up and take down for one person?
What's your opinion of the quality?
I've heard Monster is easy to use, but I'm not crazy about the 4 straps.
I would get one made locally, but I can't find anyone to build the frame. Towerbiminis does have the template for my tower and I'm waaaay too far away to tow it to them.
I HATE my factory bimini, so I'm ready for some good info...

Thanks,

Todd

camassanger 05-20-2010 6:59 PM

get one custom made at a shop nearby. That way you can spec it the way you want and it'll work. Cost is about same

ToddB 05-21-2010 4:51 AM

I can't find anyone locally to make the frame. There are plenty of canvas shops, just no one willing to do the metal work.

wakereviews 05-21-2010 5:31 AM

I have a Krypt Bimini that i took on return that I would gladly sell you for a discount. 350 shipped.

ToddB 05-21-2010 5:33 AM

What color?
Is it the one for the 82" beam or greater?
Do you have pictures?

wakereviews 05-21-2010 7:24 AM

It is the one for 82 and larger and it's black. i can snap some pics, it's all wrapped up in the box so i'll have to take it out of the box.

olmoomba 05-21-2010 8:10 AM

my sampson is easy to fold and stow and never pull it off tower. High quality tubing and stitching! Adjustable heights, get it low for rainy days or keep it up high to walk under.

I had retroed a standard 6' bimini to my monster tower but made it bigger (when I had a monster tower). I bought a bimini on line and found the Taco fittings at a local store but those can be bought online also. It took a couple of hours but when it was finished it was worth it and I saved a couple hundred bucks.

ToddB 05-21-2010 9:58 AM

Fred,

Can you put it up and stow it by yourself? Does it rattle?

lifetimewarranty 05-21-2010 10:26 AM

I just had Towerbimini's custom build one for my boat. Talk about an excellent bimini. Those guys know their stuff. A tad more expensive than the one you don't like...money well spent imo to get this one that is perfect.

Can't help you with the others, though. I would second the idea of having someone build one specifically. Seems like too many variables on bimin's.

I do know that towerbimini's has a lot of factory templates (tower's) that they can use to make your bimini if you can't actually get it too them.

ToddB 05-21-2010 10:32 AM

My tower is 3" diameter. Towerbiminis doesn't make 3" clamps. I would love to have one of theirs, but they said it can't be done.

joesell 05-21-2010 10:36 AM

I'll second the Samson. Top notch bimini, and yes, you can easily put it up and take it down by yourself.

epic1 05-21-2010 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
monster mt1 with a cargo bimini. verry little rattle, easy to put up. I just put it up myself today with a broken foot. I love how it attaches to the tower. there is nothing in the way, no straps to tighten.

ToddB 05-21-2010 11:08 AM

CWA,
I looked at the Monster Cargo bimini, but I tow my boat to different lakes and Monster said not to tow with it. Also, my boat has 102" beam and the tower is pretty wide, so after talking to Monster they agreed it might look stupid with nearly 8" on either side between the tower and the bimini. The Z5s look amazing, but not $1800 bones amazing!

olmoomba 05-21-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddB (Post 1587929)
Fred,

Can you put it up and stow it by yourself? Does it rattle?

I do put it up and stow it by myself, the first time is a PITA, but once you get it set up, its plug and play.

Does not rattle. It has nylon slides in an aluminum track that mounts to my tower. The bimini "feet" are nylon as well. The thumb screw head is nylon and the screw itself is stainless. The front has two straps and rear support is 2 legs that go up and attaches to the tower itself. I don't mind the straps, it keeps it easily adjustable.

ToddB 05-21-2010 12:54 PM

Fred,
What do you mean by it being a PITA the first time you put it up. Do you mean everytime? Or just when you originally put it on the tower the first time? sorry to be so thorough, I don't want to trade one PITA for another.
Thanks for being patient and helpful!

joesell 05-21-2010 4:23 PM

I didn't notice it being hard the first time. I thought it was pretty easy. It is really nice having the two poles in the rear instead of straps. Not only is the height adjustable when your using it, you can raise it up, even with your tower when your storing it too.

olmoomba 05-21-2010 11:00 PM

I may be exagerating. Joe I had to install mine from scratch. It was actually pretty easy really. Once you have it set up, to put it up it takes a min, literally. To take down it takes less than a minute, literally. I love it compared to every other Bimini I have had.

I wouldn't even compare it to the monster folding bimini.

What tower is it going on? The samson bimini uses Bimini slides 24" long. They can be trimmed but may not flex well on a monster tower.

epic1 05-21-2010 11:12 PM

so take the bimini down. it takes thirty seconds. do you tow with your boards in their racks too?

ToddB 05-22-2010 6:07 AM

I was told the Monster cargo rack took quite a bit longer than 30 seconds to take down. Also, I don't have anywhere to put it when it's taken down. I'm not going to let it flop around in my boat and scratch the inside. Besides, as I stated earlier, my tower is too wide for the Monster Cargo bimini. And NO, I don't tow with my boards in their rack. WTF kind of question was that???

olmoomba 05-22-2010 6:38 AM

I think he was asking if the monster tower Bimini guy tows with boards on the rack and I really think he is confused by the 30sec take down.
I see people tow with boards on the rack all the time, I have when we launch 15 min from the house, which is rare/. We tow over an hr to get good water.
Cowake- I have an Epic with the samson Bimini. And you said 30 sec not me....lol

Todd here is a legit Q- wat tower do you have?

ToddB 05-22-2010 8:39 AM

Fred,
I have the "Z" tower on my Tige. It looks like the Samson Razor, but is 3" in diameter like the Switchblade. It sounds like the Samson might work. I sent Scott a bunch of pictures yesterday, so hopefully he'll be able to tell me yes or no.

AIrwar209 05-22-2010 12:31 PM

Sorry to hijack, but...
Ian, do you still have that Krypt Bimini? I have been considering one of those for a while. I would have to check my measurements as you said it's for 82"+ but I would be pretty interested. Any feedback on it quality wise?
End hijack, as you were.

epic1 05-22-2010 1:09 PM

you take your boards down but not the bimini? I could see the cargo taking time to put up if it is mounted weird, ours went in easy, goes up easy. but our boat is kinda narrow.

ToddB 05-22-2010 7:54 PM

CWA,
I trailer the boat, so I fold back the bimini up and wrap it around the back of the tower. I love the cargo bimini, but I just don't have a place to put it when I trailer the boat. Plus, as wide as my boat is, it would look like a postage stamp up there...that's according to the Monster guys that I had on the phone. So, if THEY say it will look stupid...
I trailer the boat a minimum of 30 minutes, depending on what day of the week it is, so I have to have something that is 70 mph friendly.

camassanger 05-22-2010 9:16 PM

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/1742538045.html