WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Surf Ballast System (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786844)

lakesurfer 04-08-2011 12:33 PM

Surf Ballast System

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to upgrading the ballast pump system in my Avy. I took out the stock system and put in 5 Johnson reversible pumps running off of 3 thru-hulls and 1 inch lines. The system can fill approx 3,200lbs in under 6 min (2 custom Avy sacs and center tank). The system also has its overflow lines run to the opposite side.

But what that really means for us surfers is that I can be ready to surf either side (or even switch sides) in under 6 minutes. Which should even meet Ragboy's standards:)

Here are a few pics

04-08-2011 12:40 PM

Very nice and great speed. What is the noise level like, on those Johnson's, when they are filling?

lakesurfer 04-08-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfdad (Post 1671141)
Very nice and great speed. What is the noise level like, on those Johnson's, when they are filling?

The the noise is not that bad at all. They are louder than aerator pumps, but not that much louder. If you have your engine and stereo running you actually dont hear them at all.

dougr 04-08-2011 1:37 PM

i have the same get up in my enzo, just an fyi, sometimes they pull a lot of amps and can pop the 20 amp fuse. I have also had the green impellers and black impellers in the pumps and sometimes they will freeze up if anything gets into the pump. i have only had a few problems, but totally love how fast they fill and like the fact that they are loud so i know when they empty by the change in sound. That way you dont have to check on the bags all the time. I also ran my overflow to the opposite side of the boat so when underway they do not empty, and if you do that you do not need check valves to keep the water in the bags. i cant wait to get the boat next week, hope it warms up soon:)

lakesurfer 04-08-2011 2:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dougr (Post 1671149)
i have the same get up in my enzo, just an fyi, sometimes they pull a lot of amps and can pop the 20 amp fuse.

All of my pumps are on their own switch. I think the key to not popping fuses it to turn the pumps on one at a time. They use the most volts right when they are turned on.

duramat 04-08-2011 7:03 PM

*SALUTING* NICE!!

Lake, do you have more install pics? Im going to be tackling mine here in the very near future. Ive been consulting with Bigcat on my design lately :thumbsup:
I love the Johnsons on his!

Quote:

But what that really means for us surfers is that I can be ready to surf either side (or even switch sides) in under 6 minutes. Which should even meet Ragboy's standards
^LMAO ^

duramat 04-08-2011 7:04 PM

More pics of your LED's too!! :D

lakesurfer 04-08-2011 7:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by duramat (Post 1671187)
More pics of your LED's too!! :D

here are the underwater and tower lights. Not great pics since they were taken with an iPhone

taft 04-09-2011 7:10 AM

How are your bags setup? It looks like you have three holes on one end? Is that all of them, or are their others? Do the bags fill up completely without having to make sure no air pockets form up?

The one thing I really can't stand about my custom bags are the air pockets. It can be a bit of a hassle sometimes to make sure the bag sits right to limit them. I think I could've situated the holes on the bag better when I was having them made.

Your install looks slick, well done.

lakesurfer 04-09-2011 8:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by taft (Post 1671229)
How are your bags setup? It looks like you have three holes on one end? Is that all of them, or are their others? Do the bags fill up completely without having to make sure no air pockets form up?

The one thing I really can't stand about my custom bags are the air pockets. It can be a bit of a hassle sometimes to make sure the bag sits right to limit them. I think I could've situated the holes on the bag better when I was having them made.

Your install looks slick, well done.

I have 4 in on the back/bottom and 4 out/overflow on the top center (basically on top where the bag is at the front of the locker). I dont have issues with air pockets. I vent to the opposite side, so I just fill the bags until the water overflows. Also by running the overflow to the opposite side I dont have water runoff when the boat leans. One other way to prevent air pockets is to add 1-way check valves on the overflow lines.

And just for overkill, I have one of the Fly High Air Release plugs on both my sacks. This way you can bleed off air as the sac fills if you want.

Here is a diagram of my system.

lakesurfer 04-09-2011 8:20 AM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more of my new tower/underwater lights.

Tower Lights: Vision X Solstice Prime 2" Round

Underwater Lights: Seablaze 3 in Blue