WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 21, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=68703)
-   -   running RCA's??? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60935)

ridinhigh 04-02-2003 6:40 PM

I'm wondering what is the best way to run my RCA's to my amps? Right now I have about 25 feet of RCA's starting from the head unit next to the driver console going all the way around the back of the boat (next to the gas tank) and back up into the storage compartment under the passenger seat. The only reason I went this way was to avoid crossing any power wires but is this really a problem? I would much rather run them up underneath the bow of the boat instead of running 25 feet of RCA's is this worth it? Or am I risking noise from the battery cables? I even had to get some adapters and a second set of 5 foot cables to run the last few feet. Everything I've ever heard says that I should be avoiding connections if at all possible which is another reason I would rather run it up around the bow of the boat.

timmy 04-02-2003 6:45 PM

dude <BR> <BR>just try running it up front with your 25s, see if there is any noise. i have 5m rcas running around the perimeter of my bow, and it works great.

ridinhigh 04-02-2003 6:49 PM

Tim, <BR> <BR>Thanks for the response. Where is the battery located in your boat?

timmy 04-02-2003 7:04 PM

battery in my boat is right next to my subs and amps in the compartment behind the spotter seat

mainelaker 04-03-2003 2:25 AM

The only problem with this is that the longer the cable run the higher the quality should be. I don't know what your expecting to get out of your system but to put ALOT of money into any system &amp; use a cheaper cable for that long of a run is definitely going to affect the sound quality. The other side of it is that a good audio IC is going to cost a couple hundred for that length. There has to be a more direct way?

ridinhigh 04-03-2003 4:54 AM

I am using the Stinger Bullet series RCA's so they are a little bit higher quality than most of the RCA's out there. Not top of the line, but by no means close to the bottom. I'm using 0 gauge Stinger Expert power and ground wire from the battery as well as Stinger Expert 4 gauge to the amps power and ground. <BR> <BR>The only direct way I can find has me crossing the battery cables running from the front of the boat to pod and engine. I also would potentially be crossing the power/ground wires to the amps. I would be able to cross them at a 90 degree angle but is this okay? <BR> <BR>By the way, I have a Kicker 800.4 and 600.4 in the boat or on it's way in the boat right now. I also have a Kicker KQ5 pre-amp on the way to run the tower speakers. Future plans are to add a third Kicker 1200.1 to run two subs.

colorider 04-03-2003 9:14 PM

I used a standard quality rca, it crosses the battery cable 2 times, crosses all kinds of wires and the extra length of cable is coiled up next to the battery. I have no problem with the sound. My advice is to try the easiest install and see if you have any problems.

mattman5000 04-04-2003 7:12 AM

Simply crossing the wires shouldn't cause any problems. Just don't runs your signal wires along side of the power wires for any distance.

sandbag 04-04-2003 7:36 AM

Yeah, and if your stingers are twisted pairs this should eliminate any noise from simply crossing <BR>paths with power cables. The 0awg will also <BR>help in this capacity. Sounds like you already <BR>took care of the wiring and are worrying about nothing! Good job!

salty87 04-04-2003 9:12 AM

i ran my power wires under the floor to keep them short. my amps are under the drivers dash and the batteries are under the passenger seat. the power wires are about 5 feet long. i used the hole where the steering cable goes under the floor. this left the whole bow open for speaker wires and rca's. <BR> <BR>just a thought