WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Ropes (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794815)

boardman74 07-31-2012 9:42 AM

Ropes

So SL is going to warranty my coated line that bunched up. I am going to go back to a regular line. What do you guys like better for a rope? Spectra or dyneema? Also any feedback on Straight Line or Pro Line. I have always used SL and never had an issue with them until now. Thinking I am going to stick with them because they have no issue standing behind the rope when there was an issue.

On a side note I didn't realize Liquid Force owned SL until I talked to their Customer service.

07-31-2012 9:50 AM

Spectra and Dyneema are virtually one in the same. Just made be 2 different companies. Either will be fine. So you'll be golden either way you go.

JoLo_Si 08-01-2012 2:14 PM

Don't get jaded on the coated lines, they are great. You just got a bad apple.

pprior 08-01-2012 2:51 PM

My line started sinking - no idea why but suddenly as I pull around the rider the rope no longer sits high in the water. No clue why it started doing this. I need to buy a new line so this thread caught my eye. Any direct recommendation also appreciated here as well.

wakerider111 08-01-2012 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pprior (Post 1772824)
My line started sinking - no idea why but suddenly as I pull around the rider the rope no longer sits high in the water. No clue why it started doing this. I need to buy a new line so this thread caught my eye. Any direct recommendation also appreciated here as well.

is it your line or your handle? your handle might have started to get water logged.

everyone will recommend a line that is "spectra or dyneema core.

nearly everyone will recommend a bright and or light colored rope that can be seen in the water

most ropes themselves float, but some don't. don't know of anyone who would recommend one that does not float... why some companies even make them boggles my mind

most people will recommend one with a plastic-like coating that glides through your fingers easier in the water and coils better but cant be tied off mid length between loops because you will damage the coating. SO if you like to be able to loop your rope and make it literally ANY length then i would NOT go with a coated line, but usually the sectioned pieces that come with ropes is good enough

wakebordr11 08-02-2012 10:02 AM

Get a rope with a neopreme core... floats beautifully. My accurate blue jacket has lasted 10 years with no fraying, the shrink wrap got goofed up on one section because a buddy didn't know how to connect it to the tower.

bryce2320 08-02-2012 2:49 PM

I had a blue spectra line that would sink in the water. It was a cheapo off ebay. My gf ran it over tho so I bought a Ronix One handle and line combo. It's the Verde green so you can't miss it in the water, and it floats. It wasn't cheap but I love it.

pprior 08-03-2012 6:25 AM

This is the one I bought: http://www.evo.com/imgp/750/52821.Co...ange_Image.jpg It never used to have a problem, but now when I pull around the rope goes way under water, maybe it is the handle, but not sure what would have changed.

Too expensive to be buying new rope each season! It's only 2 years old.

Proline LG Handle w/ SK 75ft Mainline 2012
The Proline LG Handle w/ SK 75ft Mainline is the perfect combo.
Rope Material
1/8 inch Dyneema zero-stretch line
PVC coating eliminates knots
Configuration
75ft
(2) 5ft sections
Handle Material
Soft synthetic leather grip
Handle dimensions
LG
Specs
Rope Material: Dyneema

wakebordr11 08-03-2012 8:27 AM

I've never seen a pvc coated line float... and that's why I don't like them. Plus, water and uv rays degrade the stiff jacket everyone loves and it can crack, get brittle and they all still tangle.

Everyone gloats how it slides through your hands so easy and you don't get rope burns, how about this, don't clutch the rope, let it slide through the water through your hands, have your boat driver slow the hell down when picking you up! And then if it cracks, how much does it hurt to have a crack rip on your hand as opposed to a traditional weave rope, or the accurate jacket series...?

I think accurate and I know ronix makes a line with a neopreme core which is the same as the original yellow jacket which, in my opinion, is the best rope ever made.

Readyaimfire 08-08-2012 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakebordr11 (Post 1773320)
I've never seen a pvc coated line float... and that's why I don't like them. Plus, water and uv rays degrade the stiff jacket everyone loves and it can crack, get brittle and they all still tangle.

Everyone gloats how it slides through your hands so easy and you don't get rope burns, how about this, don't clutch the rope, let it slide through the water through your hands, have your boat driver slow the hell down when picking you up! And then if it cracks, how much does it hurt to have a crack rip on your hand as opposed to a traditional weave rope, or the accurate jacket series...?

I think accurate and I know ronix makes a line with a neopreme core which is the same as the original yellow jacket which, in my opinion, is the best rope ever made.

I still have a yellow jacket, best rope ever made. I hate coated ropes for a number of reasons. The main one being odd lengths. Sometimes I need to ride 2.5 feet longer or shorter. Tying off like this just one time will ruin the coating on your $100 rope. Also they get brittle and crack.

wakebordr11 08-08-2012 7:03 AM

I found a method so you don't have to tie off, theres not a knot in my blue jacket and never will be if I have anything to say about it. All spectra and dyneema lines tangle in my experience too, maintain them unwind them and they're easy.

Readyaimfire 08-08-2012 2:42 PM

I don't tie knots in my rope, but when I tie off at a different length, the friction melts the coating.

tke104 08-08-2012 3:55 PM

i've had a liquid force coated rope for probably 6-8 years. last year it started to sink. i know it was the rope, because the handle floated on the surface. this wasn't a huge deal until i got a new handle that sinks after 15 min of being in the water. sometimes, when it comes up off the bottom it's pretty slimey - to the point it would affect my riding. i really like the handle, so i'm going to try to make it float, and possibly get a new rope. that's my story.