WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through October 28, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=517108)
-   -   Heater Winterization (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513108)

showtime 10-21-2007 6:34 PM

any tips on winterizing the heater? <BR>05' Supra 22ssv <BR> <BR>is it as easy as draining and adding coolant? or can i get by w/ just draining?

ronnyboy27 10-21-2007 6:49 PM

It depends on what type of coolant you have in the heater. If it is like antifreeze you shouldn't have to drain it I would think.

showtime 10-21-2007 7:25 PM

is the heater a separate system? or <BR>does it use lake water from eng block through a heater core?

rallyart 10-21-2007 10:23 PM

The heater does use whatever is cooling the block. If you have raw water cooling then the heater needs to be drained. You should be able to blow the lines clear. It's hard to get antifreeze in them all the way to the core.

eustace 10-22-2007 5:28 AM

If it is raw water cooled: <BR> <BR>Disconnect both lines. <BR>One fed from the water pump <BR>And the other should return to the side of the engine block <BR> <BR>Blow out the line with compressed air / add some RV anti-freeze to the line and blow it through / repeat as necessary until anti-freeze comes out of the opposite line. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by eustace on October 22, 2007)

showtime 10-22-2007 6:43 AM

sounds like b--ch to do everytime....

will5150 10-22-2007 6:59 AM

I don't use antifreeze and I have never had an issue- just get the water out. Frankly, if you take the hose off the block that connects to the heater, you can blow it out easily without compressed air. Just make sure you get all of the water out otherwise when you fire it up in the spring you'll have a flood under your dash from cracking the coil.

showtime 10-22-2007 7:17 AM

not to sound dumb, but guess i'm just plain ole ignorant... but how do you know all the water is out... i've never had a boat w/ a heater til this one... what if the heater core is lower than the lines...

eustace 10-22-2007 11:34 AM

Tickle, you will get a rush of water from the return line once you put compressed air through and you'll be able to tell when its just air. It won't hurt to blow air back the opposite direction just for good measure. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by eustace on October 22, 2007)

greg2 10-22-2007 5:31 PM

I remove the input line to the heater from the intake on the engine and blow air through it after I have drained the block. Leave the block drains open and you will see the water from the heater core drain. You can fill the block/heater core with RV antifreeze through the heater hose fitting on the intake. Never had a problem doing it this way.

ccraftskierfan 10-22-2007 6:35 PM

DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR !!!!! <BR> <BR>It will ruin your heater core and most likely not get rid of all the water. Use RV or marine antifreeze and pour it in the one line until it comes out the other.

bill_airjunky 10-22-2007 6:43 PM

My dealer just told me not to use compressed air to drain the heater on our current boat. They told me to pull the hose at the top &amp; blow thru it with my mouth. Gotta have some good lungs! <BR> <BR>On my Prostar, I installed a pair of radiator flush Ts in the hoses at their lowest point. Then just pulled the caps &amp; let them drain into the bilge.

atloutbackv 10-22-2007 7:36 PM

cant you just run antifreeze through the motor when winterizing it and it will go into the heater as well?

rallyart 10-22-2007 7:41 PM

That will go into the heater too but you need enough pressure from the circulating pump. That means run it at 1500 RPM for about half a minute.

showtime 10-24-2007 6:52 AM

okydoke -- 3 different answers. <BR> <BR>i messed w/ it yesterday. removed the line from the intake and the line from the circ-pump (aggravating) blew compressed air through the line removed from the intake and a large amount of water came out the other line... 2 questions. <BR> <BR>i gather i can leave the line at the pump connected and water will come out the eng block.??? <BR>if i pour antifreeze in the hose from the intake port, how on earth will it make it to the heater core. the heater lines run along the bilge (in essence the sag between intake and heater core..?? <BR>how can 90 psi damage a heater core? --it's not direct psi...

greg2 10-24-2007 7:17 PM

I've always blown mine out with a compressor..never had any problems. Depending on how the heater hoses are routed it will fill the heater core from the bottom to the top if the hose from the intake is left off while filling and you fill through the intake. The fluid level should work similar to a short piece of hose bent in a "u shape/sag" fill one side and it will level off between each side of the hose until it fills and over flows. Put a short piece of hose on the intake fitting and fill through the intake. I'm not an expert, but it's worked pretty well for me the last few years.