WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Best board for smaller wake???? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=776978)

02-28-2010 8:33 PM

Best board for smaller wake????

I need your guys opinion. What is the best board for a smaller wake? I wouldnt consider myself a newb, so i know that getting air is all about loading the line and correct technuiqe but i want to progress this year because right know i am not very good and i want a board that i can progress with. thanks!

wakemitch 02-28-2010 8:39 PM

a wakeskate.
honestly, with a small wake you have way more options with a wakeskate then a wakeboard since there are so many tricks that dont require a wake. and with a wake its still fun too.

02-28-2010 9:02 PM

No offense but i dont really like wakeskating, thanks for responding tho. nothing like charging at the wake full speed and not worrying about your board flying out from underneath you. and there werent always huge wakes but people still had fun on wakeboards. most of the pros didnt learn behind a slammed out X star or Wakesetter. so any wakeboard suggestions would be much appreciated!

benbuchholz 02-28-2010 10:25 PM

I think you'd be fine with any wakeboard, there's obviously ones that pop more or ride higher in the water, but I dont think it'd make enough of a difference to hinder your progression. But if you're looking for suggestions, I'd say either CWB or Ronix's beginner line, they make some quality boards. I ride a CWB myself, and have ridden a Ronix that my friend has, and liked both of them. Others on here will know more about the other brands. The biggest thing you should be focused on is, like you said, the right technique, loading the line, and really popping off the wake. Thats what will speed up your progression the most; working on basics, and not getting ahead of yourself (trying a backroll or tantrum before you can ride switch or do a 180). thats all i got for ya! i'm sure others will chime in

wakerider111 02-28-2010 10:37 PM

boards that have a smaller rocker (not a serious amount of bend) might work better for a smaller wake. over the years rocker has increased as wake size has increased to prevent the nose from getting buried in a sense. but it probably doesn't matter to have a lot of rocker for a small wake anyway

personally i think it would be best to decide what style you are or would like to have
the most decisive characteristic in a board is rocker.
if you like a lot of speed, like jumping far and landing in the flats than you would best look at a continuous rocker
if you like a mellower speed, like an aggressive popping board to cary you more straight up and down wake-to-wake than check out 3 stage boards
there are many "hybrid rockers" out there too that meet a middle ground on these styles. look for words like but not limited to, subtle 3 stage, hybrid rocker, etc.
NOW, this is not to say that a 3 stage cant go big into the flats and that a rider cant get an aggressive pop out of a continuous board. these characteristics only ACCENTUATE a riders style.

the amount of flex in the board of choice is also a very decisive factor. flexier boards are fun to do tail presses on IMO (water or rails) and do other surface maneuvers. Some say they land softer. and like rocker, they give a different style of pop.

*** if at all possible, demo a few boards to see what YOU like

whatever you get, make sure you at least get a board with a fin (removable or molded in) on each corner (ie at least 4 fins)

behindtheboat 03-01-2010 6:04 AM

Older Murray boards, Motives. LF Trip, Slingshot Response

I have found that Continuous rocker will be more consistent on a smaller wake.

03-01-2010 12:52 PM

i know boards are all about your style and how you ride i was just wondering if any of you like any particular board shape on a smaller wake. thanks for the responses! definatly going to get a continuos rocker.

jasonpav 03-01-2010 2:50 PM

I ride behind a small wake, and the board I ride is an '07 Marius Platinum. I personally love the board even with the small wake I ride behind, but I can't speak for everyone in saying it is the right board. If at all possible, try and see if you can demo some boards and/or borrow some from friends. It's mostly about what kind of feel from a board that you like the most

mcb611 03-01-2010 3:04 PM

alot of the older hyperlite boards are good for small wakes, the hyperlite era is decent and the hyperlite byerly has alot of pop

captain_vilfo 03-01-2010 4:00 PM

if you look at the boat in my profile pic, thats what I ride behind sometimes when I'm not out on the Supra and we use a roam on that boat. I'll also garuentee that that boat puts out a smaller wake than the one your going to use lol. Roams are more fun to me on smaller wakes because you can still do wake to wake tricks and not worry about snapping it or the flex effecting your air (since its hard to get a ton of pop) and you can add a little snowboard flavor to it. I've spent most of my time mastering flex tricks as well as dock jibs and a high freaking ollie because the small wake sort of limits what you can do.

bskennn 03-01-2010 4:59 PM

check out the Ronix District and the Company Recruit both i have found to work well with a small wake

03-01-2010 5:14 PM

Grab yourself a Liquid Force Lyman!!

sidekicknicholas 03-01-2010 5:24 PM

+1 SS Response