WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 29, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=702328)
-   -   Which Sub and Amp? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=693452)

homedawg678 05-05-2009 6:52 PM

Just purchased new head and 4 Polk speakers. Have yet to buy a sub and amp. <BR> <BR>Was looking at the 12' Polk db Sub which I think I am going to go ahead and get. <BR> <BR>I had a question about an amp though. I was told that if I have an amp for my speakers, they will sound a lot better so I was thinking a 5 channel amp, 1 for sub and 4 for the speakers. Is it worth $400 or should I just buy an amp for the sub and not worry about the speakers? Also, how much effect will a 5 channel amp plus head sub and speakers have on my battery? <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks !

kamighazi 05-06-2009 8:31 AM

dude get amp'ed. If you have polk momo's then you shouldn't even question an amp for them. An amp instead of head unit power is a world of difference. <BR> <BR>As far as a 5 channel v. one 4 channel and one mono. I like to separate my sub from my others. I would get two amps one for the mids (4 channel) and one mono for the sub. <BR> <BR>Are your polks tower or boats speakers? <BR> <BR>Your battery will be fine if you are not planning on sitting and playing all night. Your boat will charge your battery fine while running all day. Now if you plan on killing it and sitting for 4 hours, then you want a deep cycle batt.

david_e_m 05-06-2009 10:35 AM

Nick, <BR> <BR>A Total 4-channel and mono block (by JL Audio) are under $350 together (less with a forum discount). <BR> <BR>If you're using either a monoblock or 5-channel, get the DVC sub. <BR> <BR>Definitely amplify your coaxials high-pass. Its a day in night difference in output and clarity. <BR> <BR>David <BR>Earmark Marine

hatepain 05-06-2009 11:58 AM

David, I run my in boat seperates on full just crossed over a little higher. Would it be better to run them on High pass and cross them over lower like I do my towers?

david_e_m 05-06-2009 1:00 PM

Hate, <BR> <BR>I don't follow. Shoot me a PM and be a little more specific. <BR> <BR>Thanks <BR> <BR>David

homedawg678 05-06-2009 3:18 PM

I just got 4 regular Polk db speakers. <BR> <BR>but would I have to get two separate amps though?

el1070 05-06-2009 9:41 PM

David how do you get the forum discount?

mikeski 05-07-2009 10:22 AM

You can build you system in stages. <BR> <BR>1. Add a decent 4 channel amp to the polks <BR>2. Add a sub, run the sub off two of the channels and the 4 boats off the other two <BR>3. Add a dedicated sub amp. <BR> <BR>If you have the money, time, and motivation step directly to #3

david_e_m 05-07-2009 11:19 AM

Nick, <BR> <BR>Not at all. Separate amplifiers mean more heat sink mass and separate power supplies which translates into better thermal stability. <BR> <BR>You can easily run four coaxials and one sub with a 4-channel amplifier. In this case you'll use a 4-ohm subwoofer. In a 4-channel amplifier I'd recommend a JL G4500. $350 before discount. <BR> <BR>David <BR>Earmark Marine