WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   Board suggestions (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796243)

boardman74 11-21-2012 4:35 PM

Board suggestions

So we bought a new boat and will be starting to wakesurf next year. Boat is a 2013 Tige RZR if that matters. Looking for suggestions for beginners. As we get better will move up to better boards but would like something to get us thru at least a season. I have boat surfed only once, but wave surfed quite a bit in Florida(small waves).

I'm 6'1" and about 190. My wife is smaller but will only ride once in a while so thinking she can ride the same board. If she likes it and starts riding I'll get her her own board

Kids
11 and 10. Both are the same size at 4'10" and around 90 lbs.

Figured if I started looking now might find something on ebay used or last years left overs. Thanks

boardman74 11-21-2012 4:54 PM

Forgot to add with the kids are one regular and one goofy. Me and the wifey are both regular. There is also a shaper locally that supposedly makes great boards. Tige dealer carries them and thats what i ride and I liked it but I don't know one from another. But I think they are in the $600 range. His are hand shaped and fiberglass just like the surf boards I had in florida. Very light and buoyant.

boardman74 11-21-2012 5:04 PM

Meant thats the board I rode when we demo'd the Tige and the one time I have wake surfed.

tollie 11-29-2012 3:13 PM

Check out idolsurf.com Locally made in the US and they are very durable. We make them how you want or you tell us how you ride and we will tell you the differences in the shapes. Carbon fiber boards and we can do logo's on the board when we are making it. So you can have a one of a kind board. I work with Tige boats. I get a new Z3 every year. The RZR puts up a sick wave for both goofey and regular riders. if you need any help weighting it down let me know and i can help. Shoot me a Email Brandon@stboni.net . i can send you some pic's of boards and maybe narrow it down for you.

cwb4me 11-30-2012 4:31 PM

I tried LF Venture and Hyperlite Broadcast. I learned on them,but much prefer Phase 5.My wife learned on the Phase 5 Colt.It is locked in and has lots of down the line speed.I ride the Phase 5 Hybrid Carbon X. It's a little looser and has even more down the line speed.I never surfed before so i'm not familiar with ocean boards.What i've seen from others using our boards is everyone likes the Colt to learn on and only some like my Carbon X better.Phase 5 has a complete line of Skim and Hybrid boards.To me they seem easier to learn on.

tmill 12-06-2012 2:47 PM

take a look at tripleX too. they are coming out with a whole new lineup this year. they made some major changes. There should be more information out there soon ;)

SurferLifestyle22 12-12-2012 4:49 PM

Brigade Wakesurfing

For a beginner board there are alot of options out there and i've probably tried out everything from beginner boards to an expert board and all different price ranges. I think for your situation it would be good to try out a Ronix board that you can just go pick up at your local Sports store, easy done and can start surfing today. but if you want something hand shaped and has some buoyancy to them and has that ocean surfer feel, i've started riding a new upstart company Brigade Wakesurfing out of Boise, Idaho that is doing some amazing things with their boards and have some style with their custom paint jobs for a few extra bucks. Their boards are really well rounded for a beginning rider but also has the edges to get some push and really rip it, after you get the feel. Their website needs alot of work, but they are really easy to contact by email and will give you a call personally and answer any questions you have about anything (info@brigadewakesurfing.com) is their email. Hope this is a good start to your search for a Wakesurfer. Definitetly throw the Brigade Guys an email and get some info if anything, really knowledgable guys.

runin90lx 12-12-2012 6:23 PM

i have only been surfing for about a year. i learned on a liquid force blue fish. its a longer board in surf style set up and works good for beginners. ive taught about 4 or 5 people on it.

i to am now working for Brigade Wakesurfing. My new board should be here any day. Like Mike said the website is a little confusing but if you want more info you are more than welcome to give them a call, or you can send me a message. They are a little more expensive than an out of the box generic Liquid force or ronix, but its a hand shaped board that is going to be more durable and not something you will out grow. If you are interested let me know, i can work you in a little discount on the boards.

runin90lx 12-12-2012 6:25 PM

This is my custom painted board from Brigade Wakesurfing
http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_...7/IMG_0117.JPG

boardman74 12-17-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I know the local shop was selling a ton of the Phase 5 boards and they said it was really the way to go. Just hate to have to dump 500 into a board. If I went that route may just as well buy one of the local shapers customs for right around there. Just looking for something to get started on and figure out what i like. Something I can ride for the summer than upgrade next season, then keep around for the wife and a boat board.

runin90lx 12-17-2012 12:08 PM

the Liquid Force blue fish would be a great board to have for beginning and then to have as a board boat for other beginners. thats what i use mine for. my new custom Brigade board will be in today. yay!

GeistWakeDoc 12-17-2012 2:04 PM

The Liquid Force Fish is a good starter board. You cant go wrong and the price is right. You can easliy pick one up on EVO from 2012 for <$275. We learned on a hyperlite broadcast and found it fine, but I think the Fish is just a bit easier for the fresh beginner.

Our group of adult friends have all learned on the FISH and find it spans a wide variety of weights and abilities. I have heard good things about the Hyperlite Landlocked and Ronix Duke for beginners but have not ridden any of them. The problem with those boards is they approach 6 feet long... which can be a pain in most boats...they are also thicker which can challenge your board racks...

If you can get a good deal on the FISH, go for it

drnate 12-17-2012 2:41 PM

I have two beginner to intermediate boards that I would be willing to sell for cheap if you're interested. PM me if you want. One is a Triple X and the other is a Shred Stixx

dejoeco 12-19-2012 11:11 AM

I have a FISH for sale for 200 plus shipping. My daughter won it at the World Championships last September. The board has never been ridden.

tonyv420 12-20-2012 1:54 PM

check out the Soulcraft boards, they ride great behind a RZR and you will never have to buy another! IMO May as well learn on a high end board, your going to want one half way thru next summer anyway....just sayin...

tollie 12-26-2012 12:28 PM

IDOL SURFBOARDS custom wakesurf boards made for the exact rider. We use carbon fiber on all of our boards. Hand made in the USA. No china boards!. www.idolsurf.com

cwb4me 12-26-2012 5:15 PM

We have taught people who have never surfed before to surf rope less their first time out.Those beginner boards really don't have enough push or drive for beginners to learn unless their under 100 lbs. We have taught 240 to 260 lb men their first time out and both were over 48 years old.

tollie 12-27-2012 9:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
our beginner boards are very stable and buoyant. we do demos and clinics all year and i put people who havent sever surfed before on a standard IDOL SURFBOARD and the ride with no rope. take a look at our web sight idolsurf.com

WakeDirt 01-02-2013 6:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollie (Post 1799849)
IDOL SURFBOARDS custom wakesurf boards made for the exact rider. We use carbon fiber on all of our boards. Hand made in the USA. No china boards!. www.idolsurf.com

The board you showed the pictures of has carbon fiber?

boardman74 01-03-2013 3:39 PM

Brandon, I think when I demo'd my Tige with Paul Heinen the board I rode was one of yours. Paul said they were custom made some where local to Osseo.

tollie 01-09-2013 9:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes we have a shop in St.Paul Minnesota. and yes that is carbon fiber.We use carbon on all of our boards. all of are boards are hand made in the US. I will have a new Tige Z3 again this year for demo's and test rides. We hae boards that are made for beginers and a new shape that is very aggressive and fast for the pro level riders. We are building a board for Ashley Kidd for this year and we are pumped. here is a shot of Ashley Kidd on an idol surfboard .