WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Wake winch spool walls? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797649)

ADahlin 04-14-2013 9:31 AM

Wake winch spool walls?

Hey guys.
I'm building a winch right now. The only part I'm missing is the spool. I don't know what to use for the spool walls. Any ideas? Looking for cheaper ideas. Thank!

raceman121 04-14-2013 8:23 PM

i got my spool from www.beachwinches.com its awesome but ive herd of people using grinder blades ceramic cut outs. a sprocket might work have to find a big one though

mattgettel 04-15-2013 12:28 PM

We just built a winch from basically scratch. I work at a machine shop and have several metal working tools and materials at hand. On the next winch I build I will buy the spool. It's pretty difficult to build. Having said that I have seen several guys use large cut off disks for a grinder.

ilboarder12 04-15-2013 6:40 PM

i've used large cut off disks before...the bolts that i used to make the spindles pulled right through almost injuring my buddy driving the winch. If you can get some diamond plate and have a machine shop cut out two circles to your desired diameter and drill out the holes for the spindles and drive axle. let me know if you have any other winch questions. post some pics when your done

ilikebeaverandboats 04-15-2013 7:57 PM

Two Saw Blades :)

tarek 04-16-2013 4:26 PM

winch spool

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if I can help but here is a pic of my winch. I bought this form somebody and have been tweaking and getting it dialed in. Not sure where the spools came from but you might be able to use the pic and find something.

ADahlin 04-16-2013 7:10 PM

That's sick! That spool alone costs like $150. I'm a budget. Haha. But ya I'm thinking about using about 12"-14" diameter grinder blades. Sounds like the cheapest way to go. Hopefully it turns out alright. As for the frame. What guage steel did you use? If anybody has built a spool before and it turned out pretty good let me know. I'm willing to pay to have one built for me.

tarek 04-17-2013 8:51 AM

These guys are local for me and help me tinker and fix my winch when needed. They build custom winches and can get you a spool im pretty sure.

check out the site and maybe give em a text/call

http://villainwinches.webs.com

ilikebeaverandboats 04-17-2013 7:22 PM

You should be able to find somebody to cut the parts for you SUPER easy and for very cheap. Just call around, someone with a CNC plasma cutter could do it very easy and the metal would be cheap

onecrazyredhead 04-19-2013 4:45 AM

winch pic

Look at all those big dings in background u work at a sports shop?

tarek 04-20-2013 11:39 AM

torque converter is a must!

1 Attachment(s)
^ yeah I manage a pro shop in Boise Idaho we have lots of gear!

Also, I just added a torque converter to the engine.. huge upgrade from the centrifugal clutch.

I highly recommend this for you build. Night and day difference. Just tried it out and its great!

ejoewright 07-07-2013 12:21 PM

Winch Spool Walls

Two suggestions better than cutoff wheels for the spool walls. 20'' Pizza Pans, e-bay less than $10 / piece or your local grocery store. OR...Medium or large sized oil drum lids...cost...free? I went with the pizza pans because I did not have two matching drum lids.

I am just now finishing converting my go-cart into a wakeboard winch. I moved the engine to the front, and used the back roll cage as the frame for the spool. I re-used the wheel sprocket, and sandwiched one drilled pizza pan between the sprocket and couplers, then to threaded rods, couplers again, pizza pan and finally another wheel hub. The spool assembly spins on the rear axle that is attached to the rear roll cage.

I actually did not have to destroy any part of the go-cart in the process, so it can be converted back, maybe this winter.

LYNRDSKYNRD 07-07-2013 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejoewright (Post 1832110)
I actually did not have to destroy any part of the go-cart in the process, so it can be converted back, maybe this winter.

Pics, please you can shot them to me in a pm if you prefer. Sorry for the thread jack.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2