WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through June 10, 2005 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=234701)
-   -   Buying a malibu boat - 1999 Sportster LX (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227572)

paba 05-08-2005 2:08 PM

I'm considering buying this ’99 Sportster boat, the only thing is, I was hoping to know how much weight can I pack in that thing, without being too stupid. The transom end is low-profile. I know it's not the best wakeboard boat choice, but its low hours, great condition, in town, and in my price range. I don't expect a huge MC Xstar sized wake, but hopefully something I can still go big on. Thanks.

tripleup 05-08-2005 7:09 PM

if you wait it you will dip the bow and stern get a bigger boat

05-08-2005 9:47 PM

I remember when I was shopping for my first boat. I really wanted a malibu, but, could not afford a sunsetter. I looked at the sportster and I had my 4 year old daughter with me. She was in the boat and just casually sat on the gunwail (side of the boat) like it was her personnel seat. I bought a used boat after that. Then even with the bigger used boat I still had a lot to learn and am very thankful I never had a sportster and got it caught in a choppy lake and very thankful I never got one and put weight in it. <BR> <BR>Get something else for boarding. If anything, I would claim safety.

paba 05-09-2005 2:15 PM

thanks for the input, but I do have to ask. Have you been in a Sportser LX with fat sacks or added weight? The reason I ask, I've read several post on malibu boat owner sites and general wakeboarding sites and many claim they add the wedge and 500lbs. One person who didn't have a wedge went with 1000lbs. All claim it's a great wakeboarding boat. I guess I was wondering why Malibu would factory install a wedge (creating 1000lbs) to a sportster, if it couldn't hold. I'm not arguing, just thinking aloud. I do agree about the chop, however, the boat would be primarly for skiing and boarding, no big lake stuff. There's a sweet third basin lake around here that's nice and narrow. perfect for being pulled behind the boat.

h20jnky 05-09-2005 3:10 PM

factory installing a wedge on a sportster does not affect the ride height while the boat is sitting idle in the water... <BR> <BR>a wedge uses the law of hydrodynamics to draw the transom down as a result of the water pressure running over the surface of the foil. when the boat is stopped or cruising slowly, the ride height remains the same... <BR> <BR>that is why malibu installs it as a factory option, and imo, would be your best way to get any kind of wake without overloading the limited gunwale and transom on the sportster. <BR> <BR>filling that thing with sacs, will create a decent wake but will not be well handling and the interior will see a lot of water.. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by h20jnky on May 09, 2005)

rich_g 05-09-2005 3:26 PM

Patrick, I had a Malibu Skier which is the predecessor to the Sportster; very similar size and stats. The Sportster has a little more V at the transom than the Skier. They are both great handling smaller inboards. I did not have a wedge but would add up to about 800 lbs. I was not comfortable going beyond that, plus it took up all the floor space. I have commented on other posts that the Skier could produce a good shape medium size wake, but not a massive wake. The Sportster could be a little better. The boat your looking at would be fun to drive, have awesome slalom wake, and hold it's value if you get it at a fair price.

flipout 05-09-2005 3:28 PM

I have a 1996 tantrum and we have had 600 lbs in the back with four and five people who weigh 200 lbs a piece. The boat doesn't take as much weight to throw a big wake because the width of the boat. I just put a ballast system from wakezilla in it. My sac is suppose to hold around 700 lbs.

paba 05-09-2005 8:55 PM

Thanks. I'm going to test drive it this weekend now and I'm bringing along 4 friends to serve as weight (fat sacs) to get a feel for the wake and ride height. Thanks again.

sbt3 05-10-2005 6:08 AM

Patrick, <BR>Years ago I rode behind a sportster. We loaded the heck out of it with fat sacs and sand. Probably 2000-2200 pounds. It was a little tough to drive but the wake was good. Most of the ski specific boats are going to be tough to drive when you have them sac'd out. I would stay away from the wedge and just use the weight but that is my personal preference for wake shape.