WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through February 24, 2008 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=551467)
-   -   places to ride near TSR (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=548075)

ponyh8r 02-19-2008 8:27 PM

I'm going to TSR this weekend. Are there any really close lakes to ride on? I will have access to a boat and would like ride on a lake. I know it will be a little chilly but it is supposed to reach near 80 outside.

bill 02-20-2008 6:06 AM

lake travis... go to <a href="http://www.360wakeboard.com" target="_blank">www.360wakeboard.com</a> and check with those austin guys

jhebert 02-20-2008 6:20 AM

lake Mcqueeny and canyon lake are the closest to tsr i believe.....travis is about an hour and a half from there

phall925 02-20-2008 6:50 AM

Lake Dunlap is better than McQueeney. I have been skiing on all the lakes around that area for about a month now and even the chicks have been sans wetsuit <BR> <BR>Also Travis and Lake Austin are pretty far from TSR. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by phall925 on February 20, 2008)

robertr720 02-20-2008 7:57 AM

Yeah Dunlap is your best bet the ramp is right below I-35. You just take the Guadalupe river turnaround, I think it is like exit 187 or so. I would highly not recommend going there though unless you know what you are doing and can drive a boat in a current and are comfortable with ridding in about 4 ft. of water on average. There are some spots to waste your prop on in that river so going with someone who knows the river for at least your first time out is a must. Same for McQueeny and Placid, which are right by there as well. Canyon is also pretty close and not as dangerous but it gets choppy very quickly with just a few boats out there, and the lake is big, it's sad.

phall925 02-20-2008 8:01 AM

Placid is closed right now for construction on the i10 bridge and will be until the later part of 2009. I think you can put in futher down dunlar where the water is better

robertr720 02-20-2008 8:03 AM

Hey Preston, are you in the San Antonio area for a while. If so you should check out texaswakeboarders.com cause we are going to be holding some events this year. The first will be on March 9th at Medina Lake. I am gonna bring out a bunch of demo boards and have a new 210 in the water to ride behind as well as having a BBQ. Should be a good turn out with about 10 or so boats and about 50 or more dedicated riders. If you can make it, then check it out, the club is all good people, we are putting some rails in a private lake and soon we will have a full blown rail park.

phall925 02-20-2008 8:06 AM

Robert, <BR>I just ride near SA on the weekends. I live in Houston. I will try to make it to some of the events. Aways nice to find new riders to hang out with. Thanks for the link.

robertr720 02-20-2008 8:06 AM

As for placid being closed. That is just the public ramp which is great for people who live on the lake cause it will keep the traffic down. I have a few great connections on that lake to go ride with. It is my favorite out of the three.

robertr720 02-20-2008 8:09 AM

Sure thing dude, we are trying to grow the scene in SA as much as possible this year, If you can make it to any of our events that would be killer.

phall925 02-20-2008 8:24 AM

Who do you ride with out there. We chill there most of the time

txadam 02-20-2008 8:27 AM

I should be on Dunlap with some people this weekend if you need someone to show you around. It's not as bad as Robert says - there's really no current right now since the water level has evened out ...and it's definitely deeper than 4 feet. There are some shallow spots you need to avoid though so it's best to go with someone that has been there before if you don't want to trash your prop.

wakebrdr38 02-20-2008 8:30 AM

im looking to get more involved in the scene around that area too. i go to texas state, so im a poor college student without a boat down here. It makes me sick, my boat is stuck up in dallas! So if anyone ever needs a third?

robertr720 02-20-2008 9:14 AM

I have been out on Pat McElhinney's boats more then a few times and he is a really cool guy who runs a wakeboard school out there and Gabe Lucas teaches for him as well. I have never had the pleasure of watching Gabe ride before though, except in a tournament. Yeah I may have been over done the Dunlap comments, Adam knows it much better than I do as I am a Medina Lake guy.

phall925 02-20-2008 9:17 AM

My Casa is out on placid. It is the Grey one with red trim. About to have a nwe VLX hanging in the stall. We will see you out there sometime

joshbuzz 02-20-2008 9:28 AM

We should have a Texas wide event, this summer, or at least a southern texas meet and greet!! I'm sure some of the GCWA guys would love to come up to SA or Austin!! I might be in SA this weekend to visit some friends!!

robertr720 02-20-2008 10:17 AM

Hey man if you are in town send me a pm and maybe you can come out and ride with us.. <BR> <BR>Preston, sounds like you have the ideal setup. That would be a sick boat to have on the water. <BR>Hopefully we can get together and ride sometime. <BR> <BR>That is a great idea Josh, I am hopping the SA scene gets kicking here in 08. That would be a great way to help it grow even more..