WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Speedo perfect pass issues (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787513)

jthst 05-11-2011 9:39 PM

Speedo perfect pass issues

I have a Supreme208 with perfect pass and Faria speedo. The speedo never real seems to read that accurate and jumps around quite a bit. The PP when in speed mode also never really settles in (the PP is fine in RPM mode). Do you think it is the paddle wheel and if so what do I need to replace?

Jeff 05-12-2011 6:38 AM

It could be the paddle wheel but it could also be binding in the servo/cable if you have one (Older than '05-06ish?). You didn't mention the year and I don't know enough about Supremes to be able to know the approximate year based on the model.

If you have a servo I would open the throttle completely and try to operate the servo wit the knob by hand. Feel for binding.

chexi 05-12-2011 8:21 AM

Where is your paddlewheel located? Is it located in a spot with a lot of water turbulence or where there is some other obstruction in front of it further forward on the hull? How long has this problem persisted?

jthst 05-12-2011 9:17 PM

Boat is an 2008 and the problem was basically there from the start. The boat is still in storage so I can't say where the wheel was located precisely but I think is was about 1/2 up the hull about 2-3 ft off the center of the boat.

wake77 05-13-2011 6:48 AM

Have you checked your PP settings (KDW, NN)? That is where I would start first.

wakebrdjay 05-13-2011 7:12 AM

I don't think it's a PP issue.The OP says his Faria speedo is also not steady,pointing towards a paddlewheel problem.Mine died in the 3rd season.I changed the wheel and pin it spins on,no change.I called Airmar (co. that makes paddlewheel thru hull assy.),they said the speedo sensor most likely failed.It could be as simple as replacing the wheel and pin due to the fact that it is still giving a reading.A bent pin or worn bushing in the wheel could cause the speed to not stay steady.His OP sounds like this is happening when the PP is not being used too.JT does this happen all the time or just when the PP is engaged?

olmoomba 05-13-2011 8:02 AM

I had that issue - turned out to be some loose connections at the Faria Speedo. The terminals were stripped out, so I added 2 washers and that fixed the issue for me.

Unfortunately I cannot recall if it was the power leads or the signal leads. I think it was the power leads as I would have a couple of needles jump also.

Good luck.

jthst 05-14-2011 8:27 AM

Thanks Jay T (great handle by the way). The issue happens basically all of the time for both the speedo and the PP. Doesn't matter if PP is engaged or not. The speedo bouncing around is more pronounced than the PP hunting for the proper speed but at times the up down on the PP is pretty significant. And yes (jeremy) I did change PP setting to see if it would help and when it didn't t went back to STD.

wakebrdjay 05-14-2011 12:47 PM

Does the digi speedo on the PP jump around when the Fairia one does,when PP is disengaged?If not then I would check the connections on the Faria.The signal wire for the paddlewheel from the in boat harness will be the gray w/black tracer,the power(+12v) will be purple,and the black ground.I have a 2007 V212 and installed all the extras in it myself,so I'm sure the set up on your 2008 v208 is rhe same.

wakebrdjay 05-14-2011 1:08 PM

You know I just remembered something about mine.I was having this happen long before mine died,it was nothing to do with the sensor dieing.With the boat on the trailer,I had someone watch the speedo as I spun the wheel under the boat,as I went to spin it the whole sensor assy moved inward on the hull.The sensor has a threaded cap that secures it in the the thru hull tube,it was about 1 1/2 turns from completely loose.This allowed the sensor to move in and out and caused the speed to jump around.Had I not discovered this I;m sure the next time out I would have sunk,because the tube for the sensor is about 2"dia.The great dealer that I got the boat from never attached the safety wire designed to prevent this fron happening.

jthst 05-14-2011 1:45 PM

Thanks Jay T. I'll pull it out of storage next week and will be starting with the paddle wheel test mentioned. If it is loose that might have saved me a sinking. It would also be nice for the instruments to work properly.