WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   beginner on 4'4" coex help (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=590879)

steve300ex 06-14-2008 1:45 PM

I got a coex for christmas, i weigh 170. i have a centurion avalanche. stock center tank and 2 400 side tanks. I ride with all filled. should i empty the starboard? is this the wrong board for a beginner? i can ride it without the rope when i have alot of people in the boat, but i have to constantly work it. Im thinking that the board is two short for a begginner. i have had many people out on it and know one is able to let go. Im looking to get something that most people will be able to ride but something still fun for little advanced rider. we don't surf that much but when i take people out i want people to be able to try it. everyone gets discouraged fast. please help to find a more rideable but still fun board. thanks

bac 06-14-2008 2:28 PM

A longer board would definitely help out. That board you are surfing is pretty short. I think more of a surf style would be suitable for your boat something between 5'4 and 5'8, give or take a little bit either way. There are so many companies out there to choose from, it comes down to who you prefer. I surf a lot of Prop's boards, but one of my buddies is a rep for Pearson. I can't really reccomend much else as I have only ridden a few others, but they were all 5' or shorter. The 5'6" broadcast is a pretty good starter board, but it can be sluggish too. I would also look at inland surfer or shred stixx, lots of guys on here ride those boards and they have a good size selection. Not saying you can't have a a board under 5, but one that is over sounds like it will accomodate more people on the boat}}

ncboarderboy 06-14-2008 7:45 PM

yeah look up some threads about weighting youre boat you def. want as much weight on the side youre surfing and not much if any on the other side. I dont know a lot about wakesurfing but this is just what ive heard. im just lookin at getting into the sport myself we have experimented with getting a wakesurfing wake behind our boat and it seems the more weight you put in the back corner on the side you are surfing the better.

crushing76 06-16-2008 6:25 PM

you DEFINITELY need to look into weighting your boat properly... you really need it to lean to one side. weight the side of the boat that you want to surf behind. the most weight needs to be in the back, but you also need weight in the cabin and the bow. do some searches. you should be able to get a great wave out of an avalanche. <BR> <BR>the board you have is not the best beginner board, but it is definitely do-able. i am about the same size as you give or take 5 lbs, and i can surf mine without a rope. <BR> <BR>get the wave right, and it will make any board easier to surf.

wakemikey 06-23-2008 5:53 AM

I'm no expert, but I can tell a couple things... <BR> <BR>A 4'4" board is pretty short. But your boat should be able to make a darn nice wake. So try fixing that before you get a new board. <BR> <BR>It is essential that the boat is leaning or listing to port side. Empty your Starboard ballast tank. You can keep the center full and port full. Get all your passengers to sit on the port side. Arrange the bigger passengers in the rear corner, a couple lighter ones in the front port side. <BR> <BR>We drive straight, but some people turn either just slightly, or driving in large circles I have heard. <BR> <BR>I ride a 87 Supra Sunsport 20'6". I can't get my bigger friends surfing yet but smaller ones had no problem. We put a sac on the port side of engine (direct drive) and have everyone sit on the port rail of boat. Wave is about knee to waist high. I only have a 5'8" ocean surfboard, but just demoed a Liquid Force Thruster 5'6" and it wasn't a whole lot better. Good luck.