WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Problems with Wake? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=796490)

andrew_wakeboarding 12-23-2012 3:48 PM

Problems with Wake?

Right now I'm riding behind an 2005 Chapparal 2010. It has a big 3 blade propellor. If I get a propellor with more blades how will it affect my wake? Will it make it bigger or smaller?
Thanks

JamesHawk101 12-23-2012 4:44 PM

Neither really. Prop doesn't have much to do with wake size or anything about the wake from what I know. If you want a bigger wake you are gonna want to invest in some ballast or just trying trimming the boat up a bit.

ktm525 12-24-2012 6:26 AM

We had a 2005 Sea Ray 220 Select. Our wake good after we added 400 lbs to each rear locker and 500 to the bow. We used sacks at first, but due to the time to fill and space they took up we switched to lead. The wake got better with the lead. that was the config. we used after about a year of trying all different things.
Good Luck.

gnarslayer 12-24-2012 7:19 PM

CHAPPARAL

^^^^^^^^^^^^
thats your main problem

sell it! get an inboard :)
you will love your life more than ever!

ilikebeaverandboats 12-24-2012 10:11 PM

Prop wont change anything about the wake "size". Add some ballast or get an inboard ;)

ktm525 12-25-2012 8:24 AM

Hey J.B. That was the answer I wanted to give. But being the holiday season, I wanted to try to help. The weight I listed above helped out huge. The best thing about lead is you can move 40lbs bags all around the boat easily until you find the best combination. I was told by lots of my friends our I/O wake was as big and good as most wakeboard wakes. We spent 2 days one time just moving lead around to find the sweet spot. No boarding just adjusting the wake.The only thing I did not like about our I/O was underpowered and seating config sucked. So Andrew take the time to find what works best for you boat. To answer the question, yes we sold our Sea Ray. I bought a 2013 MB 23WB with the 410hp motor. We should get it second week of January.

kskonn 12-28-2012 6:40 AM

So do you think your MB will be as good a wake as your I/O? :)

jhartt3 12-28-2012 6:46 AM

Probably not ... I/O's have a long history of proven wake. MB wake just hasnt been around that long.

wakedaveup 12-28-2012 7:14 AM

A 23' MB better have a bigger wake than your Chapparal. It has nothing to do with whose been around longer, rather hull design and weight are key factors. My 06 MB B52 had a bigger wake than any I/O in the same size category that I had ever seen. Plus bow riders like Chapparal use lifting strakes which naturally allow the boat to ride higher in the water producing a smaller wake. MB does not use this concept as much because they know there boat should sit deeper in the water. If you look at a Nautique 210 you won't find any lifting strakes on the hull at all. I/O's are fully capable of producing a clean nice size wake of course, but they aren't designed for the same purpose or performance as a tournament tow boat. Congrats on your purchase Don that boat with the 6 Liter in it will be awesome you'll love it! Don't expect the top end to be the same as your Chaparral though, inboards are not built for top end speed.

simplej 12-28-2012 7:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhartt3 (Post 1799979)
Probably not ... I/O's have a long history of proven wake. MB wake just hasnt been around that long.

ktm525 12-28-2012 2:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pix of our old I/O wake. Yes the MB wake will obviously be bigger and firmer than any I/O.

ilikebeaverandboats 12-29-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakedaveup (Post 1799982)
A 23' MB better have a bigger wake than your Chapparal. It has nothing to do with whose been around longer, rather hull design and weight are key factors. My 06 MB B52 had a bigger wake than any I/O in the same size category that I had ever seen. Plus bow riders like Chapparal use lifting strakes which naturally allow the boat to ride higher in the water producing a smaller wake. MB does not use this concept as much because they know there boat should sit deeper in the water. If you look at a Nautique 210 you won't find any lifting strakes on the hull at all. I/O's are fully capable of producing a clean nice size wake of course, but they aren't designed for the same purpose or performance as a tournament tow boat. Congrats on your purchase Don that boat with the 6 Liter in it will be awesome you'll love it! Don't expect the top end to be the same as your Chaparral though, inboards are not built for top end speed.

Fastest I ever drive my boat is right around 22 mph when we are wakeboarding hahaha :D I dont want speed I want Torque and lots 'O Ballast :)

runin90lx 12-29-2012 3:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
2013 MB B52 wakeboard wake...yes it will be MUCH larger than a chaparral wake.

ktm525 12-29-2012 6:02 PM

Bill is that weighted with tanks only. Are you using the plate?

runin90lx 12-29-2012 8:17 PM

Don, that was stock tanks 3/4 full and then a 500 lb sac across the back seat. Wake plate was all the way up(not affecting wake)

johnboyy7 12-31-2012 12:44 PM

i recognize that lake.

bruizza 12-31-2012 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runin90lx (Post 1800083)
Don, that was stock tanks 3/4 full and then a 500 lb sac across the back seat. Wake plate was all the way up(not affecting wake)

I would put that 500lb sack in the bow and see how you like that configuration.

runin90lx 12-31-2012 2:02 PM

i had a 400 lb sac in the bow..forgot about that

runin90lx 12-31-2012 2:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnboyy7 (Post 1800258)
i recognize that lake.

your the one thats friends with Nathan I. arent you? if so he was in the boat when that pic was taken LOL

mikebu 01-02-2013 7:19 PM

Won't the propeller with more blades make it easier to manually control the boats speed when pulling a wakeboarder? My dad has a Chapparal similar to this and maintaining a constant speed when pulling is quite difficult and requires me to really concentrate on this compared to using perfect pass on my v-drive boat.

ilikebeaverandboats 01-02-2013 9:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebu (Post 1800470)
Won't the propeller with more blades make it easier to manually control the boats speed when pulling a wakeboarder? My dad has a Chapparal similar to this and maintaining a constant speed when pulling is quite difficult and requires me to really concentrate on this compared to using perfect pass on my v-drive boat.

I dont think so

johnny_defacto 01-03-2013 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebu (Post 1800470)

Not necessarily more blades, but the proper prop for your application will help you maintain speed. If you can get a prop where your motor is in its sweet spot at riding speed, you will most likely be able to keep a more consistent speed. I see this even with perfect pass on v drives. Some props hold your speed with your weight configuration better than other props, and the number of blades is not necessarily the difference.

ktm525 01-04-2013 5:08 PM

Well my MB is finished. Here are the pictures.
http://dcphotomania.smugmug.com/Othe...4837&k=bFvNn25

slowwwflowww 01-05-2013 4:38 AM

It's a beauty!!

jimmyd 01-05-2013 6:47 PM

I know different props on inboards can mess with the wake. You'll see that a 5 blade prop will be more likely to cause a washy wake on the port side vs. a 4 blade. (this isn't the issue for some inboards, but it happens) The physics of an inboard make it necessary to offset the shaft to the starboard side, but Im not sure if the I/Os act similarly. Your best option would be to see if you can borrow one or look into getting duel props to increase your torque so you can put more weight in your boat.

ktm525 01-06-2013 7:04 AM

We had a Bravo 3 outdrive on our I/O (dual props) It came with 24 pitch. We changed to 21 pitch and then reshaped to 19 pitch. The pitch did not effect the wake. It only helped with planning under heavy load(1500 of lead). A dual prop is notorious for having one side washed out. Our was the starboard side. I was told by many people that is a problem with dual counter rotating props.