WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through May 19, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=329035)
-   -   Does this sound like a fair deal on Malibu VLX (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323421)

billybobfl2001 05-03-2006 8:23 PM

I was the winning bidder on a 2003 Malibu VLX through e-bay. The bid amount however did not reach his reserve amount. After talking to the seller, he is willing to split the difference and sell the boat for approx $37,500. After Florida sales tax the total will be right around $39,800. I know most of you are very knowledgable and I value you opinion, but to keep it on topic only consider this boat and this price. <BR> <BR>Here is the e-bay info: <BR> <BR><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=4635305293&amp;rd= 1&amp;sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&amp;rd=1" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=4635305293&amp;rd= 1&amp;sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&amp;rd=1</a> <BR> <BR>Thanks for your comments

wakeboard19 05-03-2006 8:27 PM

Not a bad deal.

rvh3 05-03-2006 8:40 PM

Beautiful boat. Why would you bid less then the reserve amount if it is clearly stated that it is set at 40K? Oh well, I guess it worked out. Congratulations!

leblanc1 05-03-2006 9:14 PM

I thought Florida was a tax free state?

yosquire 05-03-2006 9:27 PM

It's an ok deal. I'm not too excited about it. <BR> <BR>I picked up a new 04 VLX for less than that. E-mail me if you're interested in the details of that. <BR> <BR>Also consider the season, once we roll into June it gets a lot more difficult to find boats for sale at a reasonable price. I made this mistake last year and ended up sitting until Sept. <BR>

liquidmx 05-03-2006 10:13 PM

I would also like to mention that if you plan on towing any significatn distances, you might want a tandem trailer. You might want to factor another 3-5k into the total cost for the trailer if you are thinking about going this route. <BR>

jsanders 05-03-2006 10:46 PM

From what I have heard a brand new malibu v-rides are the same exact boat as the pre'05 VLX and I think the starting price for a '06 vride is $39K. Of course it doesn't have all the options but hey its new and the same boat just not called VLX anymore. (the '05 vlx is totally diff from '04. Hate to be someone who bought a '04 VLX new for low 50's and then the next year same boat available just named different go for 10K less. <BR> <BR>I have heard this from a friend who bought an '06 v-ride so I am not 100% in my info, if I were you I would check this out.

mastercraft1995 05-04-2006 7:47 AM

It's an ok deal. I wouldn't worry about a tandem trailer as long as you have Goodyear Marathon tires on it.

delbert 05-04-2006 7:52 AM

Be carefull on second chance offers outside of ebay. Some are a hoax and the email is not from the original seller. Do not send any money and only exchange funds when you pick it up. <BR> <BR>

liquidmx 05-04-2006 9:25 AM

Face planter, what about the wheel bearings and towing characteristics of a tandem? I understand the whole getting a flat tire deal, but there is a lot more than just that to worry about. Tandems tow so much nicer, a lot less sway and a much smoother ride. Likewise a blown wheel bearing on a single axle trailer could be disasterous. <BR>

dkjbama92mariah 05-04-2006 9:43 AM

By Steve LeBlanc: <BR>"I thought Florida was a tax free state?" <BR> <BR>No income tax. It gets all its revenues from sales tax and ad valorem (property) taxes. <BR> <BR>Also, LISTEN TO BRIAN'S POST. You are fixin to get taken to the cleaners. Here is a direct quote from the aucton page: <BR>"I do not make second chance offers. If you receive one it has not been sent by me and should be considered fraudulent. " <BR> <BR>Now that i think about it, the sales tax makes it even more suspect. I'm pretty sure that private party sales of used goods aren't subject to sales tax; I could very well be wrong though. <BR> <BR>Hate to rain on your parade, but you probably ought to let this one go. Seems just a little too risky to me. <BR> <BR>DKJ <BR> <BR> <BR>

rich_g 05-04-2006 10:05 AM

I think what he is referring to as sales tax is the registration fee you pay when you transfer title. The fee is based on a percent of the sales price and is just another revenue generator for the state. You certainly would not want to pay sales tax to a private seller.

dkjbama92mariah 05-04-2006 10:48 AM

I stand corrected. At first i thought florida was an oddball, but alabama is the same way. Guess i never thought about it since we got our boat in 92 when i was 12.

billybobfl2001 05-04-2006 11:51 AM

For clarification purposes I am located about 60 miles from the seller and will be meeting him in person to examine the boat and make sure everything is as he has represented. I can back out at any time up to the time I give him the $ for the boat. I would never wire $$ to someone in such a way that it could be a scam. <BR> <BR>I hear some people think it is a fair deal, others say may pass on this one. I can tell you that boattraderonline list similar boats that retail for around $39,500. I would still have to pay the sales tax/registration to Florida. I kinda think it is a fair price if everything is as he represents (i.e. immaculate w/ 86 hrs) <BR> <BR>Thanks again for your comments.

billybobfl2001 05-04-2006 11:53 AM

By the way, if I do the deal the trailer is no big deal. The boat will be kept on a covered lift and I will only need the trailer to take it 15 miles to the nearest dealer.

mastercraft1995 05-04-2006 12:58 PM

I've had both single and dual axle trailers and have only had a problem with the dual. I wouldn't go out and drop a bunch of money for a dual axle trailer. Look around and you'll see a ton of single axle trailers. Take care of your trailer like you take care of your boat and you'll be fine. Most people that have problems with bearings don't take care of them. <BR> <BR>If your on a lift and only have to go 15 miles I would even consider buying a new trailer.

dkjbama92mariah 05-04-2006 2:06 PM

Sorry Bill, I wasnt trying to jump your case. Until I looked at your profile i didnt realize you were in the same state as the seller. I probably jumped to conclusions too quickly. Forgive me, I pulled an all nighter last night for exam at 9 this mornin, and i've had my nose buried in the AL rules of civil procedure since then preparing for an exam tonight; so i guess i'm a little edgy. I think I need a beer. <BR> <BR>Cheers, <BR>DKJ

asp677 05-04-2006 6:25 PM

Are the registration numbers "MC". Is that Michigan? How did it get to Florida. Not to bad a deal.