WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 21, 2006 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=349637)
-   -   Prop Gurus....question. (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=341632)

baschralper 07-01-2006 7:56 AM

I have been running an Acme 13.5x16 4 blade on my 03' VLX (original prop)....I finally hit something with it last night. <BR> <BR>My question is, <BR> <BR>I don't have access to the exact prop on short notice for use this weekend. <BR>What I do have access to: <BR>Acme 13.5x 17.5 4 blade <BR>OJ 13x14 4 blade <BR> <BR>which one will give me the same type of performance....or for that matter what will each of these props do compared to what I already had? <BR> <BR>Props are one thing that I really know nothing about, so any help would be appreciated.

peter_c 07-01-2006 9:48 AM

Which engine do you have? How was your hole shot before? <BR> <BR>The 13X14 will give you a higher RPM when pulling a rider, and most likely your best bet. The 17.5 will probably be too much to swing unless you have a large displacement engine. <BR> <BR>Neither one is probably ideal. Can you borrow someones that is not going out this weekend? Buy from a different shop? <BR> <BR>Edit: mind you I am not an expert on your boats propellers. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>(Message edited by Peter_C on July 01, 2006)

baschralper 07-01-2006 10:10 AM

Monsoon 335. <BR> <BR>Hole shot was fine before unless we had full capacity on the boat, or alot of extra weight for that matter. It would take a bit for it to plane out at full throttle. Other than that, the prop was fine. Being that it's the prop that came on the boat when it was brand new, I have no idea what it would be like with something different on it.

baschralper 07-01-2006 10:34 AM

just looked up service records on the boat. <BR> <BR>I'm good now. The boat actually came with the 13.5x17.5 originally. <BR> <BR>Had one instance a few years ago where we had some running gear damage, but forgot that the prop was changed. <BR> <BR>For some reason the shop replaced my original with a 13.5x16....I have the one that I need. <BR> <BR>Thanks for the response Peter.

peter_c 07-01-2006 4:26 PM

Well after running the 17.5" you are probably gonna be getting another 16" eh? The smaller pitch might actually get better milage because the engine does not have to work as hard.

wake_upppp 07-01-2006 10:26 PM

...but it will rev higher with the lower pitch so fuel usage may be similar.

baschralper 07-02-2006 8:12 AM

going out in a few hours with the 17.5 on the boat....will be interesting to see how it acts. <BR> <BR>I've been running the 16 for so long, I just might want to go back to it?? <BR> <BR>One thing I did notice with the 16 was when turning when the boat was weighted and on plane, it would get a small amount of rev....I'm going to put it through some tests today to see if I get the same thing going on with the larger prop.

trace 07-02-2006 8:37 AM

I bet that after using the 17.5, you will be really happy to get the 16 back.