WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through August 29, 2003 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=80768)
-   -   Vid Compression (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79774)

smitty98 08-25-2003 7:03 PM

What do you people use to compress your video? <BR> <BR>i'm using Ab Prem and the clip is about 15 seconds long, its 120res and still 3mb!! <BR> <BR>What am i doing wrong? <BR> <BR>I dont have the $ers to go pay for expensive software to do it, so i was thining divx, but then the people on the other computer need divx to view it and didn't want them to have to download anything else let along install a program just to view it.

johnp 08-25-2003 7:19 PM

If you haven't already, try de-linking and deleting the audio track from each video clip. If you need the audio, this won't help, but if you have added music to your video, the real audio track is just making the overall size of the compressed video larger....useless. <BR> <BR>John

jakeman 08-25-2003 7:20 PM

prem is all the software you need <BR> <BR>when it ask to save the video=it <BR>should give you the option to choose what compression to use <BR> <BR>I think <BR>I use xp movie maker and that is when I am able to change the compression size <BR> <BR>hope that helps <BR> <BR>late/jake

sdboardr99 08-25-2003 7:57 PM

Depending on what version of Premiere you have, it will have plenty of options for compressing the video. If you have 6.5 it has options for creating a Quicktime version, Windows Media, or Real Media. Each of those has different options depending on how high of a quality setting you pick. If you pick 512Kbps (which is fairly high) the file size should be less than 300K for 15 seconds (possibly much smaller). <BR> <BR>You can download a free Windows Media utility from Microsoft that will allow you to take an .avi file and compress it to a .wmv file. It works well and is free. You can upgrade to the Pro version of Quicktime and it will do the same thing except it creates a Quicktime .mov file. I believe the upgrade is $29. <BR>

ryin 08-25-2003 8:03 PM

i use windows media encoder, its a free download and works good to compress large video files

larson 08-25-2003 8:49 PM

Premier is for editing... not to easy for converting... use TMPEGENC... it will make a MPEG1 or MPEG2... you can even create a VCD ready file. BTW.. it is free!! head over to <a href="http://www.VCDHELP.com" target="_blank">www.VCDHELP.com</a> for more details. There is also some templates for TMPEGENC called KVCD that really improve the quality. You should get about 60 minutes per cd that are at least VHS quality or better. <BR> <BR>Good settings are MPEG1 352x240 2500 bps

smitty98 08-25-2003 9:53 PM

John: I took out half the audio's, and left the ones where i needed the sound effects / classic sayings to make it funnier. <BR> <BR>JakeMan: I have gone through that and do you some kind of compression, i know its not full frames uncompressed. <BR>And i dont have XP so i dont have the movie maker. <BR> <BR>Bill J: It is ver 6.5. If i choose a lower qualoity will it still be to blury? I like the sounds of turing it into a wmv, however does the viewer then have to download an extra codec to watch the vid? If they don't i think i'll have to try to find that utility. <BR> <BR>Ryan: Will try to google for it. <BR> <BR>SW: Will download them and give it a go. <BR> <BR>I'll have a go at this, and when i get a result i should be able to post my vid, its a funny of our ski chair. Then when it gets warmer will be wakeboarding. <BR> <BR>ATM is 3-4mb zip file on geocities, get 2-3 people to download it and they cut your account tempoary. Learnt that the hard way, so when this works ive already signed up at wakepics.com if i can rememeber my username. <BR> <BR>First step is what project setting should i use? From my dig cam i'm guessing PAL is better because i was told to use that for better quality, but never though of the file size till now. <BR> <BR>I've been using multimedia for video, 15fps because thats what my camera is so its stupid to go higher, lower and to chuggy. <BR> <BR> <BR>(Message edited by smitty98 on August 25, 2003)

larson 08-26-2003 7:36 PM

Another option for posting on web... to reduce file size is to use Microsoft Media Encoder. Not the GUI version.. the command line version. I can take a 30 sec 320x240 15fps from my Olympus which is a 10mb QuickTime file and reduce it to an .wmv file about 1.25mb with little to no loss. Here is the batch file I use.. <BR> <BR>wm8eutil -input {filename} -output {filename} -v_bitrate 250000 -v_framerate 15 -v_quality 85 <BR> <BR>Remember not to lose the original .avi or .mpg as Microsoft .wmv are non-editable...