WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through July 28, 2009 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=722033)
-   -   Exhaust Flap (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=720039)

kystyle 07-27-2009 8:41 AM

My exhaust flap (rubber flap below the swim deck) tore off this weekend. I'm going on a week long lake vacation next week. Do I need to try to fix this before I go? Is OK to run the boat without it?

watsoc 07-27-2009 9:07 AM

You will need a replacement for sure unless you want to potentially get hydrolock from taking water back up your exhuast.

bill_airjunky 07-27-2009 9:08 AM

Only needs to be fixed if you want to run the boat in the lake. The engine can suck water without it.

marknjenn 07-27-2009 9:45 AM

How does FAE deal with this problem? During install you remove the flaps for good.

rio_sanger 07-27-2009 9:58 AM

I wondered the same thing about FAE Mark, also I've seen many boats with turndown tips and no flaps. and lots of hot boats run straight exhaust tips with no flaps.

watsoc 07-27-2009 9:58 AM

FAE becomes your flap since it covers the exhaust and does not allow water to funnel up the manifold when you stop the boat, etc.. The flapper just keeps water from re-entering the exhaust manifold which is now covered by the FAE so you are covered either way.

watsoc 07-27-2009 10:02 AM

Most hot boats have their exhaust pipes a lot higher out of the water since they do not have a swim platform to deal with like wake boats.

kystyle 07-27-2009 10:10 AM

You all have got me a little scared now. The flapper could have been off the whole time I was running the boat during the last couple of sessions. Should I be worried? Vapor lock seems like the kind of thing that would happen immediately. I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday and won't be running the boat until then. Anyway I could check for problems before I leave?

tuneman 07-27-2009 10:12 AM

The flapper is just a pecautionary measure and it keeps pests out. The odds of getting water back up through the exhaust is extremely slim. You'll be fine without for a little while. About the only way to get water up into the engine would be if you came to a very abrupt stop and killed the engine at the same time.

2006maliblue 07-27-2009 10:35 AM

I agree tuneman, unless you stop the boat suddenly and kill the motor the exhaust pressure well be enough to keep the water out of your exhaust system! I wouldn't worry about it right now! Just enjoy your weekend and fix it when you get back!

bill_airjunky 07-27-2009 10:40 AM

Theres a guy on theMalibucrew.com who just lost a flap &amp; sucked an engine full of water. It may be precautionary, but it's there for a reason. And the consequences can be really bad. <BR> <BR>Vapor lock is a whole different thing than hydrolock. Vapor lock is a fuel problem. Hydrolock can make your engine throw a rod or crack a piston. <BR> <BR>As for FAE or turn down tips..... take a cup &amp; turn it upside down. Then push it down on the water. Does the cup fill with water? No, and FAE won't allow water up the tube either. <BR> <BR>(Message edited by bill_airjunky on July 27, 2009)

murphy8166 07-27-2009 10:43 AM

Why not just order one from Skidim and put in on yourself....It can't be that hard to do.

kystyle 07-27-2009 11:05 AM

That is what I'm doing. Just want to make sure I haven't messed anything up running it w/o the flapper.

wakeboardlasvegas 07-27-2009 1:47 PM

As long as the boat is running, it wont be a problem, its when it is not, that will be the problem.

bjeremi 07-27-2009 2:07 PM

I really wouldn't worry about it at all. I just wouldn't come to a stop throw the boat in reverse and kill the engine. Do the straight chrome tips available on mastercraft have some sort of internal flapper or something?

spherren 07-27-2009 2:22 PM

Ya my BU has chrome tips and not flaps.

cla10beck 07-28-2009 5:18 AM

The biggest concern I would have is backing the boat and trailer in the water. This is the only time the engine would be off and you could get enough flow to get water back to the engine. Just make sure to back in slow.

zo1 07-28-2009 6:55 AM

<b>As for FAE or turn down tips..... take a cup &amp; turn it upside down. Then push it down on the water. Does the cup fill with water? No, and FAE won't allow water up the tube either. </b> <BR> <BR>??? So you are going to tell me that when a boat with a FAE is launched the FAE goes straight into the water vertically? <BR> <BR>The reason FAE works is because water cannot rush back up the exhaust when you stop, not because the air has nowhere to be displaced.

05mobiuslsv 07-28-2009 7:35 AM

The exhaust manifolds are way higher than the tips so there is nothing to worry about. I don't have flappers on my exhaust.