WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   1000th Help my W2W thread (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794239)

williamburell 07-02-2012 6:47 AM

1000th Help my W2W thread

Sorry to post yet another noobie W2W video but the people I ride with are as equally retarded as myself. Would love some insight. This is prob one of my worst attempts but only thing we got recorded this weekend. Thanks for any help. Just feel like its taking way too long to progress any without insight

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Kqn8d8mzqh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Raf1985 07-02-2012 8:39 AM

You need to cut out more to get more speed, and it looks like your knees are bending when you hit the wake, thus absorbing all the potential pop.

snork 07-02-2012 8:40 AM

You're absorbing the wake, stand tall off the wake and start your approach a little further away from the wake

boardjnky4 07-02-2012 10:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
See the attached image of your knees bent as you take off. You've to to stand tall.

Also, bring the line in and hold it nice and close at your hips throughout the whole wake jump.

jhartt3 07-02-2012 10:16 AM

Question. Anyone know any drills to help with standing tall.. b/c I look exactly like that ^^^ and I feel like i'm standing tall but i must be late. Is there a problem with standing tall earlier.

williamburell 07-02-2012 10:21 AM

How much further out? I keep wondering if I need to shorten the rope or throw some more ballast in the boat. I only had like 500lbs and 3 people instead of the normal thousand and 8 people.

Quote:

Question. Anyone know any drills to help with standing tall.. b/c I look exactly like that ^^^ and I feel like i'm standing tall but i must be late. Is there a problem with standing tall earlier.
I feel the same way

Quote:

See the attached image of your knees bent as you take off. You've to to stand tall.

Also, bring the line in and hold it nice and close at your hips throughout the whole wake jump.
This FTW. This is the first time I've done video out there and that still pretty much summed it up tom. Didn't see it was that bad until you popped the still

boardjnky4 07-02-2012 11:58 AM

yeah i know ... I struggle with the same thing. I've gotten in the habit of running the gopro on every outting. When you finally "get it", you will see how it feels infinitely better.

The thing about holding the rope in and concentrating on it will help a lot too, and it's an easier adjustment to make.

williamburell 07-02-2012 12:03 PM

^I'm usually 100x better on holding the rope in to my hip but will watch it. My arms were killing me sunday from sat 12oz curls. Anybody have any criticism on my edging or anything. Not sure if I'm hitting anything right at this point.

lives2wake 07-02-2012 12:32 PM

You flattened out before the wake as well. Standing tall will help you stop doing this as well. As far as a drill, I would say, doing some inside-outs might help. From the inside of the wake, cut out from the top of one wake towards the next, be agressive and try to get the most air possible. Edge all the way through and stand tall at the 2nd wake. Try to get out into the flats.

Raf1985 07-02-2012 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by williamburell (Post 1764327)
How much further out? I keep wondering if I need to shorten the rope or throw some more ballast in the boat. I only had like 500lbs and 3 people instead of the normal thousand and 8 people.

There is no point in adding more weight until you get the basics down. A bigger wake will give you more air but you will be creating bad habits that are hard to break.

I usually go out pretty much as far as I can, flatten out, wait for the boat to start pulling me back in, then start the progressive edge towards the wake.

williamburell 07-02-2012 4:42 PM

Yea I feel like I've already created a ton of them by riding this long without some help. Self teaching for years has produced some crappy habits

Bumpass1 07-02-2012 6:19 PM

As far as drills go Ty the following. I learned it from learnwake.com. I highly recommend spending 10.00 to join

Edge out on your heal edge until you are not going any farther out but still holding your edge. Hold this position on the water. Now get into a seated position and hold for a 3 count then explode up into a standing tall position (hips and knees locked). If you are 6' tall then you need to be 6' tall on the wakeboard holding you edge. Repeat this process 10 times for very one wake jump. This standing tall position is what you are looking for at the top of the wake. Holding this edge position will also give you the feeling that you need when you edge up the wake.

Try it and see!! You will be flying in know time.

jhartt3 07-02-2012 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpass1 (Post 1764440)
As far as drills go Ty the following. I learned it from learnwake.com. I highly recommend spending 10.00 to join

Edge out on your heal edge until you are not going any farther out but still holding your edge. Hold this position on the water. Now get into a seated position and hold for a 3 count then explode up into a standing tall position (hips and knees locked). If you are 6' tall then you need to be 6' tall on the wakeboard holding you edge. Repeat this process 10 times for very one wake jump. This standing tall position is what you are looking for at the top of the wake. Holding this edge position will also give you the feeling that you need when you edge up the wake.

Try it and see!! You will be flying in know time.

Thank you for this i have been looking for a drill will definitely try it tomorrow!!

Bumpass1 07-02-2012 6:30 PM

When you explode up into the tall position besure to hold the edge position. Hit me back and let me know how it works.

jhartt3 07-02-2012 7:35 PM

Here is me from about 2 weeks ago. I've gotten frustrated with trying to jump so I've been getting more comfortable riding switch the last few weeks.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/45107235" width="500" height="375" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/45107235">Wake Jumps ... Kinda</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user12191163">Jess Hartter</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Raf1985 07-02-2012 10:09 PM

^you also had slightly bent knees and weren't standing very tall. Your wake is also a little on the small side...

And you let go of the rope. Don't let go of the rope.

williamburell 07-03-2012 4:49 AM

Quote:

Thanks will def try this. Actually found the learnwake video on this and very helpful. I see alot of probs now in my approach too not only at the wake but previously. I always feel like I've edged to the the point that I'm almost going sideways into the wake and feel uncomfortable. Gonna try all this tomorrow morning if the lake is an absolute disaster.

Seems like alot of people have the same issues.

jhartt3 07-03-2012 4:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raf1985 (Post 1764488)
^you also had slightly bent knees and weren't standing very tall. Your wake is also a little on the small side...

And you let go of the rope. Don't let go of the rope.

Yeah we were low on gas and maybe had 300 lbs of people total in the boat. the guy filming me can still clear the wake easily and land 5 feet out in the flats with quite a bit of air. No reason to spend extra gas weighting down the boat for a bigger wake. This wake is jumpable and will help develop my technique. At least that is my approach. Let me know if it is incorrect.

snork 07-03-2012 6:09 AM

Standing Tall, Stand flat footed on the floor without bending your knees, jump.
Chin up and remember to look across the wake pull in elbows to your waist as you ride up the wake
Dry land technique drills will help immensely.
Theres a video out of a cable rider who was nursing an knee injury, you can see him jumping all around in that video Thats Standing Tall
One more thing, when you jump on a trampoline do you jump with bent knees, NO

williamburell 07-03-2012 6:19 AM

So as practice do I need to be riding all the way through the wake standing tall or standing tall at a certain point of the wake?

snork 07-03-2012 9:07 AM

William, all the way for starter then as you get better you develop a skill of transferring the energy through you legs into the wake and thats when you approach the wake with knees bent and then straighting them as if you were jumping up the wake.
But start with the basics first

jhartt3 07-05-2012 4:50 AM

Have to say putting the rope at my hip helped a TON. I now go W2@ consistently. I thought i was doing this already but when i would cut the rope would work its way up .... no that i keep it at my hip i just get shot into the air. Thanks everyone. Only had one day to practice so still working on the standing tall drills too.

boardjnky4 07-05-2012 5:43 AM

Glad to hear, thanks for updating!

williamburell 07-06-2012 7:18 AM

Old habits hard to break. Took about 15 good face plants and crappy jumps this weekend. I think I ingested half the lake wed morning.

Congrats Jess

FunkyBunch 07-06-2012 8:35 AM

William

Did you go check out learn wake? I think there are a few things that would help you. They have videos that I will try to explain but you might need to see them to really get the point.

1. Make one smooth cut out from the wake. This creates the correct momentum out and helps create the proper edge in. "At least in your video you did not do this."
2. Get in the ready position when you go flat on the board. I sit down and pull the rope in while there is slack in it. The reason you sit down on the outside and not on the way in is because you will come off your edge if you sit down while edging thus lose your progressive edge. I pull the rope in on the outside since its simpler than trying to time standing tall and pulling the rope in at the wake. The key is to pull the rope to your front hip and don't let the the rope out when you hit the wake. Pulling the rope in should keep you from doing the face plants.

There is a drill you can do to feel how this works without jumping that helps a lot.

1. Edge out in one smooth motion. "not very wide at first, build this up slowly"
2. Flatten out and get in the ready position.
3. Pull the rope your to front hip. Almost have your elbows at a 90 degree angle.
4. Once the boat starts to pull you back in look at the wake where you think your going to go over and absorb it with only your knees. Your upper body should move very little.

The position and the boat will turn you enough that you will create a small edge into the wake that is progressive. As you get your position and progressive edge correct when you cross the wake you will feel where the pop is in your knees. Do this drill until your comfortable coming through and absorbing the wakes at a good rate of speed. Then you stand up for the pop. When you have this correct even if you don't stand completely tall at the wake you should be able to clear the wakes. You don't have to hit the wake standing tall perfect to clear the wakes. Standing tall will help with your height, Progressive edge helps with clearing the wake and generating the pop.

Also make sure to really absorb with your knees, when you start jumping on the landings go all the way down with your knees that way if you do fall it does not hurt as bad. This is the way to learn to fall. You should also start doing this same type of drill for toeside at the same time it will help.
I am sure there are some more things but this is what has worked for me. Good luck

williamburell 07-06-2012 9:31 AM

^actually watched the learnwake video while on the water after each run and compared notes. I was just super hungover that morning and wasn't worth a crap. Did focus on my approach alot with a single cut and just getting used to the speed and edging along with pulling the handle to my hip. Tried to stand tall and just ended up digging the front or not landing it. heading out tomorrow and sunday to work on it some more.

snork 07-06-2012 1:38 PM

William try wakeboard'n without the Hangover should help immensely.

williamburell 07-09-2012 8:04 AM

Quote:

William try wakeboard'n without the Hangover should help immensely.
Could have read this before saturdays ride too. Much better pop this weekend though